beginner needs help

Goldmedalexchange

Aug 31, 2012
St Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just getting into detecting again and I just recently pulled out my old whites prism 2. I have permission to detect the well used volleyball courts at my local vfw.

My question s are these

Im looking to get an at pro in a few months, but what kind of comparative quality do I have with my prism 2?

Also, will my prism2 have any problems with the sand of a volleyball court and what level of discrimination will I need to use to find gold?

Thanks for your help,
Jerry

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these are sand courts, I run the machine with no discrimination and as hot as you can without it falsing. If it's a grass court, I would disc out iron and the smallest foil targets but nothing else if you want to find gold. The Prism was a decent machine in it's day but the AT Pro is much better....perfomance-wise. Quality is about the same.....both very good. The E-trac, V3i, CTX, etc, are better still, if you can afford one.

OP
OP
G

Goldmedalexchange

Aug 31, 2012
St Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a stab at it this afternoon for about 2 hours and came up with $3.24 in change. Very little in crap/scrap and the coolest find was a sterling st michael medal.

Im planning on going again in the next few days so hopefully I can hit the parts I wasnt able to cleanly sweep and find those few rings I know have been lost there.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$3.24 is a very respectable amount of clad to find, and with silver too, I'd say an excellent hunt. While looking for those gold rings, be sure to dig every signal. Gold will frequently sound like junk.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has given good suggestions, if you haven't already done it don't forget to swing your coil over the sides of the court on the grass where the two net posts are located, a couple of weeks ago I found a nice gold bracelet there, people will sometimes set items there while playing and forget to retrieve them.

OP
OP
G

Goldmedalexchange

Aug 31, 2012
St Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I though of that but its a completely enclosed sandbox. 4 courts with full sand and a concrete patio for seating with plenty of tables.

Ill be hitting it again tuesday as I dont hav work or school and the lady in charge said they are bringing in a bobcat in a week or so to start regarding it and thus my finds would be difficult.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to get in there during the excavation. You might find some nice goodies down deep!

OP
OP
G

Goldmedalexchange

Aug 31, 2012
St Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another 2.5 hours there today and found a bunch more garbage although my detector was acting up and it wouldn't pinpoint anything today... still, I found another 1.61 in clad and I found the brother to the st michael medal. So that's 2 silver medals on two days. :)

OP
OP
G

Goldmedalexchange

Aug 31, 2012
St Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also volunteered to help with the grading just for that chance... they also said they know no one has found the lost wedding ring... so goodies await.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread