How many agree w/this statement?

FinderFrank

Sep 28, 2006
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE
Could be true, hard to tell for me I usually hunt in trashy parks & it seems like the old rusty nails & iron give me alot more falsing when the ground is really wet.

Frank

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
I've heard it is easier to find coins after a rain, when the ground is still wet. Is this really true? Can you find coins deeper, or just easier? ???
Thanks!

White's Electronics publishes a book "25 Treasure Hunting Tips" and they state the ground after rain, when it is wet will yield more deeper coins than dry soil. I seem to find deeper coins under these conditions as well so I would say there is some validity to the statement.

T

TreasureTales

The halo of a buried metallic object is bigger when the soil is moist. So yes, detecting after a rain is usually more productive. It's not that your detector works any differently, but the strength and size of the target is enhanced by the rain as the molecules of the target spread out around it. That's the halo effect.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The halo of a buried metallic object is bigger when the soil is moist. So yes, detecting after a rain is usually more productive. It's not that your detector works any differently, but the strength and size of the target is enhanced by the rain as the molecules of the target spread out around it. That's the halo effect.

This is true whether coins are deeper or we just receive the signal better. The detectors operation stays the same. This could also be why Minelab GP machines are so productive in dry conditions where nuggets are.

HH,
Sandman

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
With wet ground the matrix of the soil is changed significantly enough from the target so as to be able to find it better. When the ground is dry the target is more similar to the surrounding matrix and thus harder to find it.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
With 5 years experience, using a Minelab Sovereign on all types of soils, I estimate I get ~ 20% greater depth between dry-to-wet soil.
I hear, but can't confirm, that other technologies (without multiple frequencies) don't give quite as much increase.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
For once I agree with everybody! 8) 8) 8) Also the rain/moist ground makes it easier to dig.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I'm not a big coin hunter but here is what I'vefound to be true for me and relics.

I've been detecting since 1992 and in my honest opinion, the only thing I seem to find more of in wet soil is...IRON. The iron signals that I don't hear so well in avg to dry soil sound "good" in the wet soil.

I haven't particularly noticed deeper signals in wet ground, just more of them.

Avg moist ground is where I get the greatest depth, but dry-dry, hard as a brick soil seems to boost shallow targets, just harder to diggum.

Having been a dealer, I have used some of most brand machines. I currently use a Nautilus DMC-2b and have a White's Blue & Gray and a Fisher 1266xb as backups.

Had a lot of success finding frags with a DFX & Tejon and my only cannonball (CS 6#bormann) with the Tejon.

Go figure.

Burt

Attachments

• Burt with the Nautilus.jpg
    Burt with the Nautilus.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 325
R

Rich

im more of a relic hunter,coins pop up now and again....id perfer to hunt in the rain "but not a down pour".....

but also i think it does pick up metals/coins more easy when its wet out due to the electromagnetics of the coin and the mineralization of the ground,as for going deeper i think that deepth would be abit less due to the compact/soil/mud/clay etc,freq's and also other freq's that have not made it to the detector world yet but are in the world of musical insrtuments/electroic gear like Crossovers,Sweepable EQ's "which is pretty much like the minlabs 28freq,which it sweeps 28 freq's constantly "milli sec's".....

BUt really who knows>?,were all in differtn places in the world and all have differtn gear and the land and minerals are differnt so i would say this question is still up in the air!....
cool question though~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread