Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,
Went metal detecting at the beach. Very disappointed... Detector was constantly beeping in the wet sand. Is there some kind of mineral interference or something? Dry sand seemed to work better for the detector.

So what tips do you guys have? Do you need a certain type of detector to hunt wet sand?

Thanks,
Threshold

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A "VLF" or very low frequency type metal detector (like yours),works extremely well on dry sand and in fresh water. It does not work as well in saltwater, or on wet ocean-water beaches. In highly conductive saltwater conditions pulse induction or "PI," and multi-frequency VLF "BBS" metal detectors excel.

The VLF metal detector sends 4,000 - 80,000 radio waves per-second into the ground. When the radio waves hit something conductive - like an iron nail, gold ring, coin or aluminum pull-tab, a magnetic field sets up around the object and a particular signal frequency is transmitted back to the detector's receiving coil. VLF metal detectors have the ability to "discriminate," or tell what type of metal they are seeing by "reading" the return signal frequency.

Radio or "sine" waves bounce off everything that is conductive in the sand or water. This is why VLF detectors must be "ground balanced" to work effectively in highly mineralized soil, or on highly conductive saltwater beaches. You must tune or adjust the machine to see through the "fog," or white-noise created by the salt and iron in the sand or water you are detecting. Unfortunately, this usually leads to a loss of depth and stability with most VLF detectors.

The Minelab Excalibur uses Broad Band Spectrum, or “BBS” technology (multi-frequency), and retails for about $1,500.00. According to Minelab, their BBS operating system, “simultaneously transmits, receives and analyses a broad band of multiple frequencies to deliver substantial detection depth, high sensitivity and accurate discrimination for a wide range of target types.” The key takeaway here is “multiple frequencies.” Unfortunately, radio waves regardless of their frequency still have to be filtered and balanced in heavily conductive wet-ocean sand and highly mineralized saltwater. That limits the systems depth capabilities.

The magnetic iron sands (“Black Sands”), salt, and high concentrations of other minerals in the water and sand conspire to bounce the radio waves away from the target. Conductivity and mineralization act like a shield around the target and create white noise that must be filtered electronically. Think of it as turning on your bright headlights in a heavy fog at night. All that powerful light is diffused and causes a complete white out – you can’t see anything three-feet past the hood of your car! However when you turn on your yellow fog lights, you can see a little further – not as far as you could in clear daylight, but further. That is why all radio wave machines must be “ground balanced” or tuned, to maximize their depth potential, and why BBS filters and multi-frequencies are so effective – yet still limited.

Unlike BBS and VLF metal detectors which constantly send and receive thousands of low frequency radio waves per second, a Pulse Induction (PI) metal detector fires high-voltage pulses into the sand several hundred times per second. If no metal is present the electric pulse decays at a uniform rate with no anomalies. When metal is present a small “eddy” current flows through it causing the voltage decay time to increase, which creates a measurable anomaly. Unlike VLF radio waves, electronic pulses are impervious to the effects of conductivity and mineralization, and are unaffected by salt or black sands.

Using the same heavy fog at night metaphor that I referred to earlier, pulse induction is like headlights that cut completely through the fog as if it were not there at all. The trade-off for that added depth and clarity is the inability to discriminate, or block out iron targets that you generally don’t want to waste time and energy digging. While a pulse induction machine detects all metals without discrimination, the minute differences in the signal tone and quality can give a skilled and experienced operator a clue as to what the target may, or may not be.

So basically, your machine will false and chatter in the wet sand and salt water.

Last edited:

N7XW

Feb 9, 2014
Western WA
Detector(s) used
ctx, atp, tejon, omega, etp, f2, compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, great explanation Terry. Thanks!

OP
OP
Threshold

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow thanks for all the info! I feel better knowing that I just need a different type for wet sand. What model wld you recommend?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Sovereign series is still my favorite wet/ dry sand machines and to a certain extent one of my favorite land detectors. It is a deep seeker, lightweight, interchangeable coils, hip/chest mountable, and one of the best at ignoring iron junk (does have a true All Metal mode if searching for relics) There is nothing like watching the sunrise on the beach with a GT in hand! :)

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow thanks for all the info! I feel better knowing that I just need a different type for wet sand. What model wld you recommend?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want or need discrimination, Any of the BBS or FBS Minelab machines will do the job nicely. If your beach is relatively free of iron, the PI machines will work fine. If you don't go more than knee deep, you can use the Sovereign, Explorer, or E-trac. In deeper water, you'll want something totally waterproof like the CTX3030, Excalibur, or the PI machines. It will depend on your needs and budget. Buy the best you can afford.

OP
OP
Threshold

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man i want that excalliber! But I don't have an extra $1,500 layin around lol

OP
OP
Threshold

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Un Da Da Sea on this forumn has a Tesoro Sand Shark and they seem more affordable $700ish. Might see about one of those for beach hunting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Un Da Da Sea on this forumn has a Tesoro Sand Shark and they seem more affordable $700ish. Might see about one of those for beach hunting.

Watch our clasdifieds, used ones show up there for $600-$800...

I have bought 3 used excals, all 3 arrived working perfectly. ....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man i want that excalliber! But I don't have an extra $1,500 layin around lol
I've seen used Excaliburs in the $600-1000 range depending on model and extras. I'd avoid the first generation generally known as the Sword model, because Minelab doesn't support them anymore and parts might be hard to find if it needs repair. Get the 1000 instead of the 800 for more ground coverage. If you plan on installing a big aftermarket coil (like a Coiltec 15" WOT) right away, don't worry about which stock coil it comes with. The 800 model works fine too (and actually better around the fire rings) but ground coverage and depth is more important IMO.

OP
OP
Threshold

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im thinking now about the Tesoro Tiger Shark. It is more in my price range and seems to be a great water machine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to use it in salt water, I'd get the Sand Shark instead of the Tiger Shark. The Tiger Shark can become very unstable in salt water. It's only a single frequency VLF machine which can be effected by mineralized sand and salt water. The Sand Shark is a PI machine and not bothered by that. As with any PI machine, you'll dig a LOT of iron as there is no discrimination. For $700 or so, I'd get a used Excalibur if it were me.

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
You are half way there to getting an Excalibur II. Save your $$$ and get one. PI's are definitely good for a beach with less trash--BUT---more people equals more trash---also more lost items. If you get a PI machine --your lady friend will never-----and I mean never-----have to buy bobby pins again. Good Luck with your hunting! PS---This is from my experience from the beaches that I hunt---not knocking PI's---they certainly have their place in this hobby under the right conditions.

mchesser

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Saint Augustine, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Tesoro Sand Shark
Minelab SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Tesoro Sand Shark for beach hunting. Its true, you dig everything, but I'm very happy with how it works and the depth it has. I find lots of the good stuff in the wet sand :) For a 600 PI machine you cant beat it. And oh yeah, you will never buy bobby pins or tent stakes again.

OP
OP
Threshold

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Tesoro Sand Shark for beach hunting. Its true, you dig everything, but I'm very happy with how it works and the depth it has. I find lots of the good stuff in the wet sand :) For a 600 PI machine you cant beat it. And oh yeah, you will never buy bobby pins or tent stakes again.
Lol thanks for your review on it!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

X2!

sent from a potato...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread