FIRST DAY HUNTING!!

HunterJill

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my metal detector in the mail and I went to a friends house. I found by her old barn three mason bottle caps in the same area... Maybe where the owners of the farm had a dump??
Inside the lids is says "Cap E 14 Genuine Porcelain Lined Mason" There is nothing printed on the metal parts at all. How old could these be? Should I keep digging in this "dump" area? Could there be anything valuable in these caps?

Also I found an old horseshoe... don't know if this is valuable??? but I hear they are lucky!! Already I am having fun..

Also all along the edge of the old foundation of where the old farm house was the detector keeps going off at 10 plus inches. What could be down there all along the old foundation??

Thanks for all the help!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the space between hits was consistent along the foundation, you were probably hitting the reinforcement bar used to strengthen masonry. Those old zinc lids show up pretty consistently at farmhouses. Keep on doing what you're doing and we'll be reading your post about your first silver soon!

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey great work! I can tell by your post you are pretty excited! Can't wait to see your gold coin cache you find tomorrow:thumbsup:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum HunterJill! Congrats on your finds! Sounds like you're having a blast! Keep up the good work and ears to the ground!

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first find, all signals get my heart pumping as I'm sure yours was! I've found when hunting old farms that Most of my finds (the easy ones) will be in the front yard, shady areas under & around large trees. Get to know your detector & listen to what it's telling you & soon you'll be showing us all of your coins & great finds. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions