Upvote 0

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it's probably not a bullet, when lead bullets are cast the mould usually ha round or flat (wad cutter) nose & it doesn't appear to have enough grooves for lube & length to hold it securely in the case & the tip would get out of dynamic shape if a ramrod was used to seat it against a muzzleloader charge, hope this helps. HH

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Gotta agree. Dont look like any cast boolit I can think of or any reason for it. It is cast from a mold you can see the cut off on back from the spru plate.

Weight for a plumbob.....

Last edited:

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its most certainly not a bullet, either looks like a game piece or the part that is on top of a flag

OP
OP
Amce54

Amce54

Mar 2, 2014
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find it in a civil war area. My dad had found a union button about fifteen feet down the fence a month or two ago prior to this dig. I thought maybe game piece. It would be cool if it was to the top of a flag. What u mean by plum wait. Like how much it weighs?

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find it in a civil war area. My dad had found a union button about fifteen feet down the fence a month or two ago prior to this dig. I thought maybe game piece. It would be cool if it was to the top of a flag. What u mean by plum wait. Like how much it weighs?

Maybe a mapping plumb bob?

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find it in a civil war area. What u mean by plum wait. Like how much it weighs?

A plum weight (plumb bob) is a weight that's hung by a length of string/cord below an object to determine if the object is perpendicular to the earth, but from the picture it looks too small & light weight, I'd go for the game piece or something else :-)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
engineers use plumb bobs --plumb weights to see if a some thing their building is straight up and down---at a 90 degree angle to the earth (they are hung on a string thus the groove on it) --- similar to the way they use a bubble level to see if some thing is left to right "level" -- engineering troops during the civil war were often in the camps .

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
engineers use plumb bobs --plumb weights to see if a some thing their building is straight up and down---at a 90 degree angle to the earth (they are hung on a string thus the groove on it) --- similar to the way they use a bubble level to see if some thing is left to right "level" -- engineering troops during the civil war were often in the camps .
True but I've never seen a lead plumb bob weight unless they fashioned it out of a bullet out of necessity. Plumb bobs were made of steel so they would not be deformed and hang true. It also doesn't appear to have had a loop of some sort on the bottom to tie a string at the center of gravity.

Last edited:

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like Item #63 in the Civil War Projectiles II book. If it is 0.65 in diameter and 0.900 in length then it is a Hanovarian or Saxon bullet and was used by the Confederates.

OP
OP
Amce54

Amce54

Mar 2, 2014
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I measured it and it measures exactly what you said. That was my original guess but it seems like it wouldn't fly well because it's size. I appreciate everyone's help and info it's been much help. Sorry I took so long to answer back I've been out if town and away from my treasure.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will add my lil piece, it was from a 'smooth bore' muzzle loader that had been heavily fired as one can see from the base cutting by the csked residue from the previous firing, The black powder forms a semi hard cake so when the next projectile is forced down the barrel it's has it's base cut in scraping the old burned black powder residue ahead of it. This is shown more by the difference between the base and the frontal rings.

Incidentally alignment is done by a cup in the ramrod.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amce54

Amce54

Mar 2, 2014
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thank you so much that's extremely helpful. I can now pass on some knowledge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread