jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It belongs to the City, However In some areas it's the responsability of the Homeowner To Take care of it. in which case some consider any messing with it their problem. It is Best to ask the Homeowner. If you decide to take the opinion it's the Cities & the homeowner, complains to you, Apologize & move on

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I work parkways a lot and at the first sign of trouble such as unleashed rots or gun shots I move along to the next one. Keeps me out of trouble.

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
Its not just the grassy strips that are public property. The law states that ten feet from the road is public domain. Here in Mass no one can touch you for detecting the grassy strips between the sidewalk and street. Just be prepared for those annoying people who take it upon themselves to complain or call the cops. usually the cops will tell you to move on to another area as not to cause a hassle with the home owner, but they can only suggest that they cant make you usually.

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
not only are the strips between the sidewalk and road public, but in mass. at least, the law states that ten feet from the road is public. No one can tell you to get away from the grassy strips. just be prepared for a few annoying people to either complain or call the cops. My advise is for you to stop in at the police station in the town that you want to detect, that way they know who it is in case someone complains. if you know the cops before you start, it wont be so shocking or as much of a hassle if a cop car pulls up along side while your in the middle of lifting a plug and preparing to dig on the side of the road.

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
Most of the towns that I have lived in have easements all around the owners property not just in the front. Usually its 15 feet on each side and 15 to 20 feet front and back. You can't build permenant structures on your property in those locations. But don't try detecting in those areas without owners permission as the owner does pay the taxes on those strips of land but the city/state has right of way.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
I think the law in mass is a distance from the center of the road . The town wouldn't like the reception they got if they tried to go 10 feet from the road edge. I can think of many places where 10 feet would put you in some ones house! Detect with some common sense and be polite. Cladius.

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
Actually, it is ten feet from the edge of the road. I have it on good authority. If you have less than ten feet from the edge of the road to your house then the front yard really doesn't belong to you. i consulted the police department here in my town, they explained the whole thing.

OP
OP
K

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
Thanks for everyone's response. In fact in one town close to me the city recently dug up a long strip of this easement during construction. The town was established in the early 1800's. If it has not already been hit coiuld be a good spot.Thanks again.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going back to my Code Enforcement days....Here in Oklahoma ownership belongs to the abuting property owner who has to maintain that area which is known as "the parking". Strangely enough, most cities won't let you park on the parking! ::) Although it belongs to the property owner, the city has a right- of- way easement mainly for utilities. Consequently you are not allowed to build on the parking or obtruct it in any way. The public has access to the parking but only as a thoroughfare and in my jurisdiction would have to have the property owner's permission to detect on it. Here an easement is generally 12 feet from the curb line, but streets with no curbs, the easement is measured from the center of the street depending on the width of the street. The width of the easement can vary and it depends on how the street and property was platted back whenever. It can get pretty confusing but can be figured out by looking at the plat maps of which every city, county, or parish should have a set. I would imagine the rules governing that area will vary from state to state, city to city, etc, but would be similar. :o

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yeah! It ia public domain, but if you hunt it a 4:30 AM on a nice summer morning, no one usually bothers you. If you are challanged, just say sorry & move on down the block. Spotz

Hey jimmilio! I started my LE carrear as a Code Enforcement Officer too. (22 years total)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
At least here the prop. owner pays prop. taxes to center of street but city has easement from inside edge of sidewalk to street center, however parking strip is generally left for prop owner to maintain and grant permission from.

W

wepc

I just located where an old race track was in my city dating back to 1916. It's mostly developed, but the edges of the road are exactly the same edges of the race track of 1916. The entire route has these grassy areas. This could be big.

OP
OP
K

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
Hey wepec. Couldn't ask for a better combination. Tracks usually involve heavy drinking, poor judgement and lots of money. Would not be surprised to see a few silver dollars or possibly a gold coin or two. Good luck.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After having my 4-wheeler stolen out of my side yard at 4:00 in the morning, anyone on my property at that hour would be in great peril! Just a word of caution.

Spotz, I spent 21 1/2 years as a LEO and then "retired" and the City needed someone to run their Code Enforcement program so I did that for another 10 years. Now I play with my grandkids and medal detect for a living ;D

W

wepc

better chain your stuff up, because someone did some back yard detecting.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Hey Jimmilleo! Know what you mean! Been there & done that! I do like to get out early in the summer time. No one out asking stupid questions. I don't beleive that I'd go into anyones back yard though. It is nice in very public areas at that time of day. You are the publicat that hour of the day. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread