Why havent I found one yet?

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Why haven't I found one yet?

We all have one. That metal detecting monkey on our back. That elusive "first _______." Whether you're a veteran detectorist or a hobbyist just starting out, we all share the same problem; there is something we just can't put our coil over. I'm referring to that otherwise common find that for some twist of fate and circumstance has eluded you. Common is of course relative to the type of detecting one does. A beach hunter expects to find gold rings, not everyday perhaps, but eventually. However, many have spent countless hours without yellow in the scoop.

For me, for the longest time, my detecting monkey was finding that first silver coin, a 1943 P War Nickle. Then, it became finding that first 1800's coin, then that first large cent. Once I started hunting colonial sites it became that first Seated coin. Heck, I found 10 Spanish silvers before finding my first Seated coin last year. Our goals adapt as our detecting habits evolve. With the Seated monkey off my back, the Shield Nickel monkey can take center stage.

What is your current metal detecting monkey? What common (for your type of detecting) find is still waiting for you put your coil over for the first time?

Upvote 0

Rangerbb

Jan 25, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having the hardest time finding silver coins I just don't understand it. I've found lots of silver rings, pendants, earrings etc. I find lots of wheat pennies but only one mercury dime. I now have been focusing on those low tones that people don't want to dig and have been having good luck mostly plated gold jewelry but know sooner or later I will get a big gold ring.

shufflr

Mar 8, 2014
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would like to find a silver quarter again as it has been a number of years. I have never found a silver coin bigger than a quarter so that would be nice as well. Mercury dime I found today was the first in a long time as well, but I got out of hobby for a long time.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug seated Dimes, Barber and Washington Quarters, but not a Standing Liberty Quarter yet! So, that is number one.

Secondly, a Silver Dollar!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all have one. That metal detecting monkey on our back. That elusive "first _______." Whether you're a veteran detectorist or a hobbyist just starting out, we all share the same problem; there is something we just can't put our coil over. I'm referring to that otherwise common find that for some twist of fate and circumstance has eluded you. Common is of course relative to the type of detecting one does. A beach hunter expects to find gold rings, not everyday perhaps, but eventually. However, many have spent countless hours without yellow in the scoop. For me, for the longest time, my detecting monkey was finding that first silver coin, a 1943 P War Nickle. Then, it became finding that first 1800's coin, then that first large cent. Once I started hunting colonial sites it became that first Seated coin. Heck, I found 10 Spanish silvers before finding my first Seated coin last year. Our goals adapt as our detecting habits evolve. With the Seated monkey off my back, the Shield Nickel monkey can take center stage. What is your current metal detecting monkey? What common (for your type of detecting) find is still waiting for you put your coil over for the first time?

Ever notice the Monkey Never Leaves, He Just Switches Positions!!! HH Chug and Red We are Currently working an Old Park And We are Hopeful to Get Muddy and Maybe find Some Cool Stuff!!! Maybe the Monkey Will Shift Soon!!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Barber anything when Im land hunting and a platinum ring when Im beach hunting.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread; for me at this time love to find a colonial era silver ...any will do . And I must say I don't believe I will ever get tired of finding large cents.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thread; for me at this time love to find a colonial era silver ...any will do . And I must say I don't believe I will ever get tired of finding large cents.

just like the saying "where there's wheaties, there's silver," the same is usually true for coppers and colonial silver. Keep at it, it's out there!

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a whole bunch of things on my want list but I want a gold nugget first.

Mike

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two definitely come to mind, and they are both local. One is a button from the first militia here, and the other is a rare coin/token. Both do turn up and over the years I have witnessed Ironhorse dig two of each! In total I know of 4 of the buttons being dug, and probably about 10 of the coins, but I'm still waiting for mine. Someday I think I will get the coin as it can turn up just about anywhere at anytime, but the buttons are way more limited, and the last site we had where Ironhorse dug his two is getting pretty quiet, so I'm seeing my chances fade there. But I'll stay on the hunt, and the day I find one, no matter when, I'll find this post and bump it back to post a pic! :headbang:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and a buddy where talking about this thread driving to a new spot yesterday. I told him I want a seated quarter. We get to new spot that is an old post office that is now a potato field, we each find one coin. I find a corroded zinc penny, he finds a 1876 cc quarter almost on the surface. Maybe today if the blizzard ever stops. I was almost as happy to see him dig that coin almost.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't seem to get my coil over a gold ring with the diamond "in" it! Found rings minus the stones, found .925 with diamonds in them, but just can't seem to get the right combo, gold w/ diamond ring!

Second is a gold nugget! I would dearly love to find one, got a gold pan too but haven't got to use it yet!

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still really want to find a suspender buckle which is the monkey on my back but as for the common find I have yet to find is an indian head

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having been in the game since 1980 (I have a mountain of trash) and at least one of every type of modern silver coin of the last hundred years including one 1922 Silver Dollar...all except a Walking Liberty half...can't get one of those for nothing!...Every time someone posts a picture of a Walker they have found I just stare at it till my Wife walks in the room and says, "Close your mouth"...freakin' irritating!

Man o' War

Mar 15, 2014
N.E. Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000
Primary Interest:
Other
Still waiting on a silver coin. I'm hunting hard too. Lots of old house places with wheats but no silver. I'm betting it will be awhile, this is a very poor part of Oklahoma.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still waiting on a silver coin. I'm hunting hard too. Lots of old house places with wheats but no silver. I'm betting it will be awhile, this is a very poor part of Oklahoma.

Hang in there. Wheats usually mean if there is silver there you are doing what it takes to find it. You're not missing the silver you just haven't passed your coil over any yet...good luck in 2014.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having been in the game since 1980 (I have a mountain of trash) and at least one of every type of modern silver coin of the last hundred years including one 1922 Silver Dollar...all except a Walking Liberty half...can't get one of those for nothing!...Every time someone posts a picture of a Walker they have found I just stare at it till my Wife walks in the room and says, "Close your mouth"...freakin' irritating!

Go figure.... one thing that alluded me for 1 month shy of 10 years was any (and I mean any) half dollar,and the one I ended up finding was you guessed it.... a walking liberty.... and I'm in Canada, in a part not close to the border and not where many US coins turn up.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one I will I be targeting this year is a seated anything , I sold a detector to a friend and he had it 2 days and dug a seated dime and I halve been trying for years !

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting for my first old silver coin. I've only found a Kennedy half and while it was pretty and made my heart stop because of the size of it,there's nothing like a silver coin. A CW belt buckle wouldn't be bad either.:laughing7:
well,you're in the right place for a buckle8-)

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
My first silver coin and gold ring. Found silver ring and pendants.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread