Why havent I found one yet?

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Why haven't I found one yet?

We all have one. That metal detecting monkey on our back. That elusive "first _______." Whether you're a veteran detectorist or a hobbyist just starting out, we all share the same problem; there is something we just can't put our coil over. I'm referring to that otherwise common find that for some twist of fate and circumstance has eluded you. Common is of course relative to the type of detecting one does. A beach hunter expects to find gold rings, not everyday perhaps, but eventually. However, many have spent countless hours without yellow in the scoop.

For me, for the longest time, my detecting monkey was finding that first silver coin, a 1943 P War Nickle. Then, it became finding that first 1800's coin, then that first large cent. Once I started hunting colonial sites it became that first Seated coin. Heck, I found 10 Spanish silvers before finding my first Seated coin last year. Our goals adapt as our detecting habits evolve. With the Seated monkey off my back, the Shield Nickel monkey can take center stage.

What is your current metal detecting monkey? What common (for your type of detecting) find is still waiting for you put your coil over for the first time?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Two definitely come to mind, and they are both local. One is a button from the first militia here, and the other is a rare coin/token. Both do turn up and over the years I have witnessed Ironhorse dig two of each! In total I know of 4 of the buttons being dug, and probably about 10 of the coins, but I'm still waiting for mine. Someday I think I will get the coin as it can turn up just about anywhere at anytime, but the buttons are way more limited, and the last site we had where Ironhorse dug his two is getting pretty quiet, so I'm seeing my chances fade there. But I'll stay on the hunt, and the day I find one, no matter when, I'll find this post and bump it back to post a pic! :headbang:

I'm sure they will both turn up for you eventually. Although those haven't turned up under your coil yet, you know it hasn't been for lack of detecting sites. Eventually, luck, research and tenacity converge. My ultimate goal is to find a NE silver. I know of one dug in the area, and clearly contemporary coins are present. I feel confident that one will be tumbling out of my dirt clod someday, just as I know you will find yours.

Oh, and if I do find a NE Shilling, you might not see it posted right away, but you'll surely get a PM from the field!

Last edited:

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still haven't found a gold or silver chain. Lots of plated crap..........lots of chains........never a real gold or silver one though. Gold and silver rings all over the place.........lots of pendants from chains......never a chain lol.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything seated, silver from the same era of ANY of my big coppers, or heck even a flat button! Yep, I'd settle for a darned button, lol.

trappered

Greenie
Mar 27, 2013
nw missouri
Detector(s) used
gti 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
23 years and no dollar coins, no large cents ,only 2 wl half and 1 standing liberty quarter so far .

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done really well in finding "elusive" coins and reached a point years ago that the only thing left would be a gold coin.

Two years ago, I found these two coins in one month and thought my time was near.......

P1100113.JPG

Yep, this is the EXACT pattern of an early U.S. gold coin but that year does not exist and this coin is known as a "Kettle" token.

Then I found this.......

P1100201.JPG

Exact pattern of a Victorian half sovereign except it says "Model half sovereign" and is basically Victorian play money.

To me, finding a gold coin encased in a bezel; attached to a chain at the beach doesn't count.

Been there, done that.

I may have to travel somewhere else to find that gold coin!

Cheers,
Dave.

Raymie

Mar 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best find so far is a gold earing stud on a fresh water beach! Where do you look in Ct. for anything better? HELP me!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Muddyhandz, that kettle coin was quite a tease I bet. Still a very neat find. The gold coins are certainly out there. They can turn up in the strangest places.

Raymie, I'm no expert on Ct. detecting. However, like Massachusetts, Connecticut is loaded with lost history. Settled since the early 1600's, the coastal regions and Ct. River valley are loaded with potential detecting sites. The key is research. Contact your local historical society, head to the library, or use the internet to gather information about when and how land was used. Look for land which was used in commerce, agriculture, transportation, homesites, and other areas whee people would have lived, worked, gathered, shopped, etc.
Try getting permission to detect the lawns of older homes. You will have many homes near you which date before 1900. Farm fields are my personal favorite. Finding the right fields is a combination of research, common sense, luck and persistence. Again, permission is very important if the field is private property.
Many great finds are made near cellar holes; the remains of foundations of homes long since lost to time. Cellar holes are usually found along abandoned roads and near old stone walls. Some are obvious, others can easily be missed by even the best trained eye. If you go into the woods, don't forget your bug spray with deet. Seriously, the ticks are no joke and neither is Lyme Disease. Wear boots, tall ones. You'll usually need a long handled shovel in the woods or farm fields.
Parks are a good place to learn the basics of detecting. They can provide the chance of a fantastic find, but they really pay dividends in learning your machine. You'll encounter everything at a park, every metal known to man seems to be buried in parks near me (maybe that's why people ask me if my detector is a Geiger counter?). This will be valuable experience once you start discovering your own sites.
Note: Make sure you check local, state and federal laws and regulations around metal detecting, artifact collection, or even disturbing the soil. Don't try National Seashore or state parks, it's usually illegal unless stated otherwise. Remember, it's just as important to KEEP good sites as it is to find them. Treat both public and private land with respect. Fill holes according to your surroundings, making your best effort to leave as little trace as possible.

Best of luck,
-Oxbow

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been fortunate enough to have found many neat coins in only 8 months of serious detecting. I have found seated, halves, IHs and a large cent. My goal this year, which is realistic considering the ages of the areas I hunt is to find a V-nickel and more IHs'. It is important enough for me that I have purchased a bunch of V-nickels to look at and swing under the coil to learn. I guess my next goal would be to find Peace or Morgan dollars or a Barber half.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread