3 Dealers Push Me To AT Pro... but I dont Want One!!

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Dealers Push Me To AT Pro... but I don't Want One!!

So far I've had 3 dealers want to push me to an ATPro over a Omega 8k, F5/F70. I'm looking for a deep and TID accurate (as much as accurate can be) for parks/schools looking for coins/jewelry/silver.

I actually had an ATPro, so I'm looking to upgrade from it - without going to a $1500 machine. I'm starting to wonder if that's even possible. In fact, the only time I don't get any attempts to push me to the ATPro is when I'm thinking of spending $1500+ on a Minelab.

Now, I'm not complaining - in fact, I really appreciate them trying to help me get the best machine.

BUT... is the ATPro THAT much better?

Update - this is no knock to dealers. Every dealer I know is an awesome resource and always treats me right. I just think they see the success of the ATPro and recognize the value there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
So far I've had 3 dealers want to push me to an ATPro over a Omega 8k, F5/F70. I'm looking for a deep and TID accurate (as much as accurate can be) for parks/schools looking for coins/jewelry/silver. I actually had an ATPro, so I'm looking to upgrade from it - without going to a $1500 machine. I'm starting to wonder if that's even possible. In fact, the only time I don't get any attempts to push me to the ATPro is when I'm thinking of spending $1500+ on a Minelab. Now, I'm not complaining - in fact, I really appreciate them trying to help me get the best machine. BUT... is the ATPro THAT much better?

I don't know, but I can tell you that I have never in my entire life EVER encountered a Treasure hunting machine that is as effectively (shrewdly, cleverly?) advertised.....
You had one, You used it, you weren't satisfied with it, so you are looking to upgrade from it. Still, they are very close to getting you to buy a second one... I mean that's really good marketing......

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFL

I agree with el padron. if your looking to buy your still not satisfied.

I see you have of had a Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, and Ace 350

why not try & push a 3030 or F75 on ya ?

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love BOTH the AT Pros and I have been detecting for 30+ years! I also have a Omega 8000 which is very nice but is not an AT Pro for sure.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a bit of some good machines if ur looking for any in biased opinions for any of these message me I've used
Recently atpro,deus xp,f75ltd,xterra705,v3i & many others but these were the recent ones I'd post my opinions but I don't want ur original post to go off topic & start wars over which is better or whatever. Good luck

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me that with the detectors you already own, you probably know what you are looking for! I like my AT Pro, but I also like my G2. Heck, I even like my old CX Plus! If you want a Teknetics or Fisher, just PM me and we can talk price. I promise not to push the AT Pro on you.

Rangerbb

Jan 25, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it...you had the at pro and the e-trac before? Why did you get rid of them, maybe you didn't give it enough time to really learn them? I think people put way to much into the idea that I "gotta have the best detector to find things". Granted I have a e-trac now, but I was doing very well with my old whites classic id and garrett ace 250. The reason being I put the time in and really got to learn the machine.

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestions are low end a new Whites MX5.. Higher end a Fisher F75SE or more into relic Teknetics T2SE..

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it...you had the at pro and the e-trac before? Why did you get rid of them, maybe you didn't give it enough time to really learn them? I think people put way to much into the idea that I "gotta have the best detector to find things". Granted I have a e-trac now, but I was doing very well with my old whites classic id and garrett ace 250. The reason being I put the time in and really got to learn the machine.

I think the majority of people think because they aren’t finding something, it HAS to be the machine. People that buy 2 machines a year cracks me up, their impatience is what is enabling them from “learning” how one works

I do agree that you have to upgrade every once in a while, Like I had the ACE 250 to start. But I wasn’t in a hurry to ditch it for another machine right away, even thou I knew it wasn’t a deep seeking machine. I wanted to LEARN how it works.

I think if you don’t use the same machine for a couple years, you have no idea what it can do.

And a big part of it is this website. People find amazing things, and think “ Its gotta be the machine!!”, when in reality it’s the combination of the User, The Machine….the the big kicker….the PLACE THEY ARE HUNTING. Im done every trying to promote the AT-Pro anymore, it’s a never ending battle with people. All I can say is…I find good Shii…and Im happy

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
ATPro is good at almost everything, but not great at anything (except being versatile). Don't get me wrong, I love my ATPro, it's the best backup detector I could ask for. If you are interested in a detector for land hunting only for under $1500, I highly recommend the minelab Safari (about $1000). It's not a flagship machine, but it will easily compete with them.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you didn't keep and use the E-trac.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
E tracs are heavy. I have a Minelab explorer se pro that is collecting dust as I'd rather use my at pro or at gold. I can't find anything very deep with the minelab...to the point that I think something is wrong with it. It just won't repeat....even on a 3" dime.
I've been thinking dues or T2 ltd or maybe even a fisher cz3d.
I'm with you. I can't see how any detector will compare at the price level or even substantaily higher. The guy above says buy a $1000 minelab. The at pro can be had for half that. I paid $850 for the se pro and it's for sale or trade for ??
I found a one year old AT GOLD on craigs for.....$375!

bigjames

Mar 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teknetics T2SE. Top of the line. Light weight. I'm getting new finds on old turf that I pounded with my Explorer 2. And yes I very well know how to use an Explorer 2, it's a good detector.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you called me about an Etrac the other day. We didn't discuss other detectors, but I can give you a few to research. Whites VX3 is a good unit with three frequencies and accurate ID. The Fisher F75 LTD/SE is a good, accurate, deep and sensitive machine, but can be chatty in an urban environment if sensitivity is turned up too high. And of course, the Etrac is hard to beat at coin IDs.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm at +1 on the f75ltd I recently picked one up & matter of fact I just got back from a little hunt pulled couple small relics & a merc from a place I know for a fact has been hit by low end,mid level & high end machines this thing is pretty impressive

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E tracs are heavy. I have a Minelab explorer se pro that is collecting dust as I'd rather use my at pro or at gold. I can't find anything very deep with the minelab...to the point that I think something is wrong with it. It just won't repeat....even on a 3" dime. I've been thinking dues or T2 ltd or maybe even a fisher cz3d. I'm with you. I can't see how any detector will compare at the price level or even substantaily higher. The guy above says buy a $1000 minelab. The at pro can be had for half that. I paid $850 for the se pro and it's for sale or trade for ?? I found a one year old AT GOLD on craigs for.....$375!
sounds like something is wrong with your machine. If you know someone locally that uses one, do a live comparison to see. Don't let a heavy detector stop you from using one. A simple sling can solve that problem.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know i think ill do that little trick too im going to list all the machines i have used like others doesnt matter if its 5 mins or 5 months ...i must know all about the machine since i had 1 in my hands right

OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you didn't keep and use the E-trac.

It SUPER sucked at ergonomics. I literally hated detecting after about an hour in because the way the machine felt in my hand. Yea, yea, I could buy a sling but I tried that and it felt awkward.

But yes, the Etrac was by far the best in performance (ID'ing coins at depth).

Would I buy another Etrac? I might if I had the money. I had mine before Minelab sling/vest, so maybe that would eliminate the awkwardness... or maybe I'd just live with it... but right now, I don't have $1500 lying around.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pushy dealers is why I spent my money else where when making my last detector purchase.

I was looking to spend about $750. And that was the very top of my price range.

One dealer on this site was as bad as a used car salesman. Giving me a speech about the etrac EVERY time I asked about a machine in my price range.

I finally told him I was going to look at used Safaris as they can be had for what I had to spend, and even then I got the "Well a Safari is ok but the resale value is nothing compared to an etrac....."

I was thinking to myself, "look jerk, you just ruined any chance of me buying anything from you AND I will warn others from buying from you as well.."

I could almost 100% guess who one of the dealers was but I will keep it to myself as to not start a war.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEVER buy a machine from a salesman. Buy it from a person that has extensive experience on the machines he sells. Ok, he might be a "salesman" but he must be a detectorist FIRST to sell a machine to me. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread