How much does the ground shift, sink or raise so to speak in time.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The amount of rainfall and frost depth matter most I think...we just had a nice hard winter here in the north east and sections of ground are still frozen here. The hard frost will push items up. This is why farmers are always rock picking in their fields. Soil density and content make a big issue of this. Some soils that are highly aerated are a lost cause I hate to say. Items sink through them very quickly with rainfall and are lost to most detectors depths for small items.

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water expands about 9-11% when it freezes.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The type of soil is very important in this also. In my area, we have lots of adobe clay. Once something hits that layer, it will sit there for centuries.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, sometimes none.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lookindown is right. There is no basic universal answer to a question like this due to way too many variables in the soil makeup, weather conditions etc. Black dirt, sand, Clay, vegetation etc. each act differently under the same conditions, let alone different conditions.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread