You never know about people

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on a site that was bulldozed and had no postings in Tucson the other day, I had hunted it several times before and found no coins. It has a lot of slaw and junk in it. In one area I changed up my settings and went extremely slow, I hit 4 wheats in a row in a small patch. Now starting to fell like silver is coming.. Well I hear yelling and turn around and an older lady is yelling at me to get off the property, I politely complied immediately. I tried to talk to her but she would have none of it. So I moved to a location up the rd I had permission to hunt. wheats were all 40's and 20's.

I am there about two minute's and a pickup pulls up and I here someone again, I turn around and it is an old gentleman. He signals me to come over and I comply, He asks what I was doing on his property (the one she told me to get off), I explained to him I was just looking for old artifacts and that I did not see any postings. He asked if it was a hobby, I told him yes I just like to find old buried history. He told me he was in a dispute with his neighbor over the property line and his sister thought I was surveying the location.

I again stated my purpose, he was interested in the hobby. He asked me what type of things I find and I told him of them. I then asked him if he would mind if I went back, He was hesitant so I gave him a business card I have for metal detecting and told him if he thinks about it and decides I can give me a call. So we talked about history and he told me of the one old building near the site being an old train station that Wyatt Earp once was in. He then asked me if I would take a trip with him to locate a buried cashe his great grand father buried when the confederate army approached.

He is going to go over his papers and call me to take the trip.. what the heck why not.. He is very storied and has a long past in AZ, his family was well connected to DC politicians in the early 1800's ..

I think he will let me back on eventually, SILVER is calling

Last edited:
Upvote 0

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is REALLY ironic that you posted this picture, because my wife and I just discussed this type of situation when we were out on a walk last week. There is a public library on the corner of the main intersection in my town, and there is a similar worn down path where people have shortened the corner. We both agreed how ridiculous people are for being lazy and cutting through the grass. It saves you maybe 1 second of walking, at the cost of killing the grass and creating an eyesore.

So, I can honestly say that I would not take the shortcut, because the situation has presented itself and I spoke out against it. Sure, maybe when I was a kid and much less responsible, I might have taken the "easier" route, but I have more respect for others' property now.

However, you are comparing cutting a corner of someone's property with purposely spending a lengthy time on private property and possibly removing coins/artifacts from it. Not really the same cup of tea, but I get the point you are making.

My thought is, if you came upon a vacant lot, bulldozed or not, and noticed several nice construction tools and equipment on the ground, would it be okay to trespass and steal them? If that's not okay, why is it okay to trespass and steal things from under the ground?
You think digging a dime is the same as stealing equipment? Please tell me you don't. If there is ANYTHING of value visible on a property I wont go on it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have politely asked the attacks against thread stop.........

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Deal
lenjsr !

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Deal
lenjsr !

LOL...Amen...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sensitive subject to some that are involved I guess.

I won't be applauding these actions but I will keep my opinions (and the law) to myself in the future.

I do have a different view of the Treasurenet policy now. Thanks for the education.

Good luck and happy beeping all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sensitive subject to some that are involved I guess.

I won't be applauding these actions but I will keep my opinions (and the law) to myself in the future.

I do have a different view of the Treasurenet policy now. Thanks for the education.

Good luck and happy beeping all.

We do not need members especially new members attacked and put through a Spanish Inquisition because they hunted a vacant lot.

If members ask for opinions on law it is okay to respond, it is not okay to attack thread or member because member simply made a post.......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct.

My Policy is treat everyone with respect.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Rules that are set to follow for detecting, I guess are just set for those that want to obey them, so it must be you do what you feel like doing. In Ohio if you are caught trespassing you will be arrested, there does NOT have a sign stating no trespassing. Ignorance of any law is no excuse !!!!!

deadeye, good point. No one wants to be "arrested" afterall. In most other (all?) states there has to be a sign or a fence. Without which there is no "trespass" or "arrest", etc.... But let's stick to Ohio, for purposes of what you're saying, for a moment. Ok then: If this sort of scene existed in Ohio, (and as you can see, hundreds of people have worn that path), then how many of those people do you think would get arrested ? Just curious.

Attachments

• 6desirepath2.jpg
    6desirepath2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 88

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are walking along a country road and notice this in an empty vacant lot what would you do?? I know what I would do...

hidden-money.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated above, no attacks on thread.......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of no attacks on thread is so hard to understand..

OP
OP
lenjsr

lenjsr

Jan 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First right I wrote that got a lot of activity

OP
OP
lenjsr

lenjsr