Weed Eating?

Hawkeye35

Feb 16, 2014
Does anyone else ever call metal detecting weed eating by mistake or know someone who does? I personally don't have this issue but I know a couple people who do and it's pretty funny. I mean I can see how when you think about what someone looks like when they're detecting your brain could confuse the two but really? I suppose it is a bit easier to say...

Upvote 0

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yea! I have thought the same thing many times! Maybe a 2-in-1 metal detector/weedeater model could be interesting! Property owner won't let you metal detect, but will let you weedeat........hmmm

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been accused of and asked many times if I'm weed whacking (on the beach too :icon_scratch:) ya the movement is similar, but what am I doing with a digging tool and pin pointer, looking for escaping dandelions? Lol!

It does work both ways tho, a while back my husband saw a guy with headphones by the road with the same back and forth motion and says "look, he's metal detecting"! As we drive by the guy turns around, he has a leaf blower! I busted out laughing! We're accused of weed whacking all the time, now we're accusing people with leaf blowers of detecting! Lol! It was the laugh of the day!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my former bosses seen me detecting around the county courthouse and told some other friends that I most have got in trouble with the law. He thought I was given community service and had to weed whack the grounds.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny stories! I've had people ask me where they can get a nice quiet weed whacker like the one I'm using! :laughing7:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I can see how it would be an honest mistake to make. In addition to the swinging motion of the rod, many detectorists use headphones, which can easily be confused for hearing protection that some people use when operating loud equipment for extended periods.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i've heard it called a gieger counter on a number of occasions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread