Whats your wierdest/most absurd find in your metal detecting adventures?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
syringes...in my back yard. I live next to what is essentially a slum. Nice.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A thread like this has been done before but I'll give you one I had a couple of years ago. I was beach hunting and got a decent signal. I dug down a couple of inches and found what I thought was a small silver ring. I reached down to grab it and found it was the tip of a fishing pole and the signal was the top eye. After digging a 10' long trench and digging down about 2' at the reel end, I finally removed the whole rod and reel assembly. The carbon fiber rod was broken but the reel still worked!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
syringes...in my back yard. I live next to what is essentially a slum. Nice.
In just about any urban park you'll find those.....yuk!

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A thread like this has been done before but I'll give you one I had a couple of years ago. I was beach hunting and got a decent signal. I dug down a couple of inches and found what I thought was a small silver ring. I reached down to grab it and found it was the tip of a fishing pole and the signal was the top eye. After digging a 10' long trench and digging down about 2' at the reel end, I finally removed the whole rod and reel assembly. The carbon fiber rod was broken but the reel still worked!

I had read this twice...the first time I misunderstood and thought it was a fishing pole buried vertically. That would be impressive!

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmm...I haven't found too many oddball things, but the best would be a smoking pipe (the briarwood and brass kind, not the crack kind) that was in the middle of a random field. It was kinda weird to find it there. This is a field planted with soy and corn. Guess the farmer likes a smoke.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmm...I haven't found too many oddball things, but the best would be a smoking pipe (the briarwood and brass kind, not the crack kind) that was in the middle of a random field. It was kinda weird to find it there. This is a field planted with soy and corn. Guess the farmer likes a smoke.

I found a heads I win tails you lose naked chick coin in a church yard lol!

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My fave funny find was a pig flipper. About the size of a quarter had a pig face on one side and its butt on the other. Was advertising for Motts Brothers in Rockford. When I saw the pig butt I literally LOL'd

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A goat's head in the sand at a beach in Fort Lauderdale, still had tags in his (or hers,lol) ear.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting in Daytona Beach couple of years ago and dug a brass crematorium tag for someone who had their ashes thrown out to sea! The tag was from Springfield, Mass.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was detecting in Daytona Beach couple of years ago and dug a brass crematorium tag for someone who had their ashes thrown out to sea! The tag was from Springfield, Mass.
Interesting that you should mention that. I found one also, at Ormond Beach, which is just north of Daytona. Mine was from Ohio!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shortly after I first began detecting, I was hunting near an old, abandoned house. Off one back corner, I got a very strong hit. Removing a light covering of soil, I found the top of a large, flat stone. Having read that people often hid trasures under stones or other misleading objects, I began to get excited. When I finally got the stone up and turned over all that was under it was an old, rusty ring gear from an early automobile differential. I didn't bother to put it in my pouch.
luvsdux

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nachos10!! How about a 25 pound meteorite!! It is still posted on the internet as the Grayton Beach Meteorite!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Iv been waiting for a thread like this to pop around.......about three weeks back i was detecting a lot next to a church and found a bag of crack, not a small bag, a ziplock back full of little bags of crack ready for distrabution, of course i called the city police and when i said i would like to report a big bag of crack layn on the ground the dispatcher was like WHAT???!!! they had a cop out there in like 2 minutes to get it. glad i found it and not some kids........

jaloglow

Mar 28, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
1) Teknetics Alpha -- then upgraded to;
2) Teknetcs Delta 4000 -- then upgraded to;
3)Bounty Hunter Platinum (Currently Using)
**Garrett Pro-Pointer (A Must Have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@cudamark - This is completely off topic, and I also haven't anything to contribute to this thread-- However, when you mentioned Ormond Beach, it brought back so many fond memories. My husband and I have enjoyed many vacations at "Ormond By The Sea". We love it there and plan on vacationing there THIS summer once again. Now that I have been bitten by this hobby I most certainly plan on taking my gear with me this time. Oh, I cannot wait! But I hope I don't find a crematorium tag or an Urn!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found an old toilet parts, a lot of them, spread all over the property of an old home.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Just reading the question, before seeing any responses, my first thought was a syringe, filled with a purple liquid, that I found just lying on the ground in the woods where I went to detect at my childhood campsite. I buried it in one of the holes I dug, not wanting the police to even question why it was in my possession. I guess it wasn't as unusual as I thought! SAD.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortly after I first began detecting, I was hunting near an old, abandoned house. Off one back corner, I got a very strong hit. Removing a light covering of soil, I found the top of a large, flat stone. Having read that people often hid trasures under stones or other misleading objects, I began to get excited. When I finally got the stone up and turned over all that was under it was an old, rusty ring gear from an early automobile differential. I didn't bother to put it in my pouch.
luvsdux
You did move the gear and check for a signal under it, right?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Just last October I found a tag from an Orlando crematory on a beach in Florida...

sent from a potato...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions