Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings, I'm south of you in Bedford, Indiana. :occasion14:

I hunt city parks, schools, playgrounds (tot-lots), around/in shallow water (creeks, swimming holes, fishing spots), camp grounds, older houses, and anywhere else I have the right or permission to detect. I've gone about 60+ miles around me anywhere I find that may be worth hunting.

My best finds so far have been a 1926 Rosie silver dime, a antique silver ring (was flatten by a car through the years though so silver scrap value only), about $20 in new clad money, and some interesting finds (locks, keys, tokens, jewelry and a wrist watch).

To find locations try talking to your grandparents about popular places around when they were kids for picnics, swimming, and such. Or simply start detecting in a local park and often several people well ask what you found, and sometimes tell you of a new place to detect. The most common way is to open Google map and look around for local parks in your area to get started. Another handy map is ACME Mapper 2.1 that uses Google maps but tells you the exact GPS coordinates of the map you have shown and many other options (terrain, satellite, topography) and the ability to set/save markers - it comes in handy to save the exact GPS locations of your important finds in a database so you know what came from where (and what might still be there to find).

Best of luck on you hunts.

shufflr

Mar 8, 2014
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,
I am from Anderson but work in Indianapolis so I hunt both places. Pretty much everything TCosbyJr said is true. I have found personally that school yards and parks are good for clad coins and not much else. That is because most of these sites have been hunted since the mid 70's. Private property is your best bet. Most of the houses in Greenfield date to the 20's and 30's so if you have friends or family that live in these, start there. These places are very unlikely to have been hunted before so any silver dropped will still be there. I would absolutely do back flips to gain access to the Covance facility there as that place dates to the 20's, but that may prove impossible to gain access to. However learn proper recovery methods before digging in lawns so you don't damage the appearance of landscape.
In my first go around with detecting back in 82 I found several silver rings, multiple silver quarters, many mercury dimes, Roosevelt silver dimes, over a hundred wheat pennies along with tons of clad. This time around having been out with this detector for 30 hours or so I have found one 39 Mercury dime, one 59 Roosevelt dime, several wheat pennies, $7 or so in clad coinage, and a metal car from the 40's that is worth about $20 or so. I mainly coin shoot so my detector is not really tuned to find gold rings and such. All the old coins and the car were found on private property. The 39 Merc came from an abandoned industrial area in Indianapolis. You should have no problem finding places to hunt in Greenfield.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread