Whats the best tip for the beginner?

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still awaiting my first detector to arrive. (Hopefully Today) and was reading every post on TN.

What is the best tip I read....

Bury some different coins and jewelry in your yard and detect them. I went out this morning and buried several different ones in anticipation for the arrival of my MD.

Wish I would have paid more attention to the author so I can give him the credit for this tip.

Ant others? All us newbies can use all the help we can get.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Tips, Keep them coming as I will take all to heart. I got my DISC 220 today and after putting it together I couldn't wait. After digging my garden it was off to a local park where I first found a bottle cap followed by a couple of old beer cans but then I get a good signal and what do I have but a coin, of course it was a 2001 dime but I did do the simple yes with the fist pump. First dig a success.

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a very important tip i was never given is always be weary of tree branchs, i cant tell you how many times i have been studing the ground not paying attention and walked into a tree branch, i hate to admit it but i still do it. also if you have a layer of shyness about you go ahead and shed it, people might gawk or stare sometimes......Especially when they see you walk into a tree branch:laughing7:. Its alot like fishn, you might not catch the big one for a while, but when you do, nothing compares.

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Pinpointer but I now see the need for one. I was just passing handfuls of dirt past the coil as I dug.

Got to say I can't wait for morning to get back out. I am going to work a creek for a mile or so and see what I can find.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also if you have a layer of shyness about you go ahead and shed it, people might gawk or stare sometimes......

For $15 on eBay, you can get a yellow chemical Hazmat suite with full hood. Swing your detector with that on and some people might stare, but from a very far distance!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $15 on eBay, you can get a yellow chemical Hazmat suite with full hood. Swing your detector with that on and some people might stare, but from a very far distance!
Just tell them you're searching for natural gas leaks! You'll have the whole area to yourself :) Welcome aboard fishnfacts! Most important tips I can give is have fun and learn proper retrieval techniques. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Fletch. I am an outdoorsman so respect for the land and ambassadorship for all my hobbies comes first.

Simon, I don't care who you are, that's just funny! lol

shufflr

Mar 8, 2014
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A particular $9000 engagement ring that I scanned with my GTAX rang as a solid "nickel". Others show higher but I have never found anything gold as I hunt mainly in "coin" mode. I will dig just about any signal in that range if is consistent, but have never found anything but various trash items. If you have friends that live in houses that date to the 50's or before, ask them for permission to hunt their yards. I sometimes hunt schools and parks but have never found anything but clad coins in them. I think they have been heavily hunted so I only hunt them on lunch breaks and such if I have no where else to go. I have been hunting mostly curb strips in front of vacant houses, abandoned industry sites and such. I figure these have a lot better chance of not being hunted before. Found a 39 Merc dime last week in such an area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread