Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my At pro today, I air tested it, and It wouldn't detect any coin past 7 inches. Is this normal? I know it is capable of more than 7 inches! I had it running pro zero with no disc and sensitivity was maxed. I did it in my house, but the machine was stable, could EMI be affecting it even though it was stable? Also does anyone know the older models ending model number for the coil issues? I'm just worried that I got an older model and the fact this machine can't hit 7 inch targets in the air! Thanks in advance
-Ryan

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a while since I messed with my AT Pro, since I have a shiny new Deus, so your post made me curious enough to bust it out and run some air tests.

Pro Zero - 35 scrim - Sensitivity 1 below max - Plenty of surrounding EMI

Quarter - 11"
Dime - 10"
Penny - 10.5"

I got signals at deeper depths, but they were choppy, so the ones listed were unwavering and repeatable with 10 consecutive passes.

I assume you have the stock coil on, not the 5x8? Have you tried unplugging the coil cable and reinserting it, and maybe doing a factory reset?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also does anyone know the older models ending model number for the coil issues? I'm just worried that I got an older model and the fact this machine can't hit 7 inch targets in the air! Thanks in advance
-Ryan

I think I remember you went through Bart for your AT, right? If so, he moves a lot of units and I can't imagine him having really old stock. Serial-wise, the first production units started with 50XXXXXX. These were made in 2010. Current year production units are 53XXXXXX. Mine is a 53 from a year ago, not sure if they go higher.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been a while since I messed with my AT Pro, since I have a shiny new Deus, so your post made me curious enough to bust it out and run some air tests. Pro Zero - 35 scrim - Sensitivity 1 below max - Plenty of surrounding EMI Quarter - 11" Dime - 10" Penny - 10.5" I got signals at deeper depths, but they were choppy, so the ones listed were unwavering and repeatable with 10 consecutive passes. I assume you have the stock coil on, not the 5x8? Have you tried unplugging the coil cable and reinserting it, and maybe doing a factory reset?

I will try it tommorow, but if this machine doesn't stack up to my depth requirements, it'll most likely go back to Garrett. I've only had it for a half a day but im not really impressed.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is also 53XXXXXXXX

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try it tommorow, but if this machine doesn't stack up to my depth requirements, it'll most likely go back to Garrett. I've only had it for a half a day but im not really impressed.

Well that's too bad if there is something wrong. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails like faulty hardware. Have you used it in a real world scenario yet, or just air tests? There could be something in your home affecting it. I might try air testing outside, or even better, bury some coins at desired depths in a clear area of your yard.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that's too bad if there is something wrong. Nothing takes the wind out of your sails like faulty hardware. Have you used it in a real world scenario yet, or just air tests? There could be something in your home affecting it. I might try air testing outside, or even better, bury some coins at desired depths in a clear area of your yard.

Had it out for 45 minutes, I was impressed. nothing deep, but I'm surprised at how well it locks on coins. When you hit a coin, you know it's a coin! I like everything about it. But the depth is the issue. I bought it to find stuff deeper!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had it out for 45 minutes, I was impressed. nothing deep, but I'm surprised at how well it locks on coins. When you hit a coin, you know it's a coin! I like everything about it. But the depth is the issue. I bought it to find stuff deeper!

Definitely put it through a gamut of controlled tests before you send it in. 7" for the air test is a bit low, but make sure something else wasn't causing that. If you contact Bart, I'm sure he would be more than happy to add his wisdom. I once called him from the middle of a river about my AT.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely put it through a gamut of controlled tests before you send it in. 7" for the air test is a bit low, but make sure something else wasn't causing that. If you contact Bart, I'm sure he would be more than happy to add his wisdom. I once called him from the middle of a river about my AT.

I Definitely will put it to the test tomorrow! I'll probably upload a video to YouTube to show ya guys the problems.

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's almost up will give link when done

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I went out after the video, found a penny at 8-9" inches deep. 1927 Wheatie!! It gave a repeatable faint tone with no ID number. THE DEPTH IS OUTSTANDING! Very happy so far! Can't wait for warmer weather. It was 30s today! Well I can't be happier!

-Ryan

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to ground balance your machine.
And I could hear electrical interference that may have been the camera.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to ground balance your machine. And I could hear electrical interference that may have been the camera.

The Machine was already GB and It must have been the camera, the closet interference would be telephone wires around 100 feet away.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would never go by an air test, the only test worth doing is a coin buried. With the ATP you will rarely get a good hit below 6" anyway. Most below 6" will be a can or iron.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out after the video, found a penny at 8-9" inches deep. 1927 Wheatie!! It gave a repeatable faint tone with no ID number. THE DEPTH IS OUTSTANDING! Very happy so far! Can't wait for warmer weather. It was 30s today! Well I can't be happier!

-Ryan

I'm glad you are feeling more encouraged by the AT Pro, and your test shows that it is a significant improvement from the F2. As far as warmer weather, Sunday: 53 and even better Monday: 63!!!! (at least in my part of MI). I've lined up a church to detect that was built in 1872, and I'm going to swing till I puke!

OP
OP
D

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad you are feeling more encouraged by the AT Pro, and your test shows that it is a significant improvement from the F2. As far as warmer weather, Sunday: 53 and even better Monday: 63!!!! (at least in my part of MI). I've lined up a church to detect that was built in 1872, and I'm going to swing till I puke!

That's what the temp is today! What's your locationish in michigan?

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's only a 10 plus what do you expect
you should of got a white's mxt
it's a 12 plus

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey D pro don't let anyone discourage you. An upgrade form the F2 to an ATPro was a good move and I'm glad you found actual test to to prove your air test not so right. There are so many variables when it comes to actual depth you will experience. Way to many to make a good comparison across every location that is hunted. Variable include how each person uses or does not use their detector the same as the other. Even moisture in the ground will make a difference. I think you will be please with the Pro, for now, I know I am. There is a lot of Bang for the Buck with this machine and I believe some of the argument may extend from that statement alone. Those who have seen what the Pro can do for less than they have invested in their machine. To each his own and I'm not knocking any other brand just saying maybe someday other will quit knocking the Pro. By the way my deepest coin with the Pro was a wheat at 12/13 inches in undisturbed soil. Everything must have been right that day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread