Lesson learned

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
I lost a ring today. It was the first ring I ever found. It was probably only worth 4 or 5 hundred bucks I figure. But it was worth a fortune to me. I left it on the sink at work when I washed my hands, and forgot to pick it up. 2 hrs later it was gone. It was a great loss for me, but I feel pity for the guy who needed it bad enough to steal from a work mate. But the lesson learned is, that jewelry can have special meaning to people and If I can ever Identify the person that lost something that I had found, It would put a smile on my face to hand it to them.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,5711.msg30809.html#msg30809

Upvote 0

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OH MAN!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that!!!!!!!!

Can you imagine if the guy that found it was the guy who originally lost it????

Imagine what he must be thinking!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yes it is a nasty sinking feeling. WAYYY back when I first got married, my wife & I were fishing at Toole Lake near Mt, Raineer Wa. We had only been married a couple of months & she had given me a heavy Gold & Platnum ring with a half carrat diamond for a wedding ring. As we were going out in our puddle boat, I took the ring off & put it in the watch pocket of my jeans because the setting was ratteling loose. We moved to another small lake a little later & I was teasing her about loosing the ring & you guessed it, it was gone. I remembered hearing something fall in the water as I was getting out of the boat at Toole Lake, so we hurried back to the boat launch. I was sure I knew within 3 feet of where it was. There was a guy & two kids who were there when we left & were still there when we got back. I told him what happened & asked if he had seen my ring. He failed to look me in the eye when he said no, of course & his kids looked surprised, but he did not fess up to finding it. I'll never know for sure, but it was really a big loss to me. I remember it everytime I find a ring. It is always worth the effort if you think the ring is identifiable. Spotz

OP
OP
caratjuice

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
Spotz, If that guy did have your ring, his kids got a good schooling in larceny that day. I can't say my mind was always right about this. I was almost afraid to post the picture of it, for fear I would have to give it up. Maybe I needed a little pain to help me see clearer.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Over 20 years ago I found a small roll of cash, under 200 bucks in aisle in the distribution center where I worked. Put it in my pocket and told no one, knowing full well it was a full week's wages for the person who lost it there. Took two more days before it got around that one of the gals there lost the money after cashing the check at lunchtime. Man was she surprised when I handed it over. It ws grocery and rent money and all the things her limited budget was comprised of. I wanted to see who sounded like they really lost the money before I did anything, had no intention of keeping it or spending it but an innate mistrust told me she'd have never seen it had I given it to anyone else to deal with returning it.

I'd think a guy who couldn't look you in the face and lie likewise couldn't lie in front of his own kids but then again, that initial mistrust is something we all have to deal with. Then again, seen a lot of those "Lost ring in washroom" posters at different worksites over the years and know of so very few that resulted in a return.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I worked in a warehouse many years ago, one day I found a wedding band between 2 boxes. it was obvious to me what happend: when he(whoever lost it) stacked the box on the other box, the ring took the weight and he didn't feel it slip off his finger. being almost sure that the ring belonged to one of my co-workers, I turned the ring into the office. about half an hour later the guy who lost the ring came out and accused me of stealing the ring, saying that it had disappeared while he was washing his hands! I explained where I found it and that if I stole it I wouldn't have turned it in(what an ingrate!) to this day he thinks I stole it and only turned it in `cause of a guilty conscience! 8)

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
you might check the sink drain trap,, found many in them as apartment maintenance man 1 million years ago.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread