Would you post a life-changing find?

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
We see a lot of 'finds of a lifetime' posted on the banner. Though all amazing finds, few are worth more than a couple thousand dollars. Some finds have been worth in the tens of thousands range, a great little payday perhaps, but not life changing.

The question I pose to you is: would you post a truly life changing find (think Brasher Doubloon, NE or Willow Tree coinage, 1794 Silver Dollar, cache of gold, etc.)?

I might post a find after speaking with attorneys. I would certainly contact a few members here via PM for advice or identification.

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
depends on whose life it would change I guess. If I found say, a cache that john dillinger hid I would probably just have fun being funny on the internet after that!![/QUOTE

You funny?? : )

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude (Jeff) you'd have fun being funny on the internet even if you never found nothing. Hey do you really metal detect or is this one of the Big Secrets your just not telling us.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man I found my first indian head last year! 1882

bigger things are coming

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the comments here got me thinking....Ah hey guys... see all that stuff in the picture in my signature, Never found none of it.... REALLY!!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sc 028.JPG

me last summer in SC

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't post anything like the gold coin people.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends if you knew exactly what you had found?

A chest of gold bars with "Wells Fargo" on it - a big no for sure!!! :laughing7:

But what about a treasure sign that you needed decoding or a small find that lead to something huge? In this case you'd probably would post initially, then stop posting once you realized what you had..........:skullflag: :coins: :thumbsup:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends if you knew exactly what you had found? A chest of gold bars with "Wells Fargo" on it - a big no for sure!!! :laughing7: But what about a treasure sign that you needed decoding or a small find that lead to something huge? In this case you'd probably would post initially, then stop posting once you realized what you had..........:skullflag: :coins: :thumbsup:

Has anyone ever decoded a treasure sign?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Even Karl von Mueller said to keep your lips tight together.... Many reasons for that. Say you found a one of a kind ring, and posted it on here with even remotely a vague location of the find.... Here they come out of the woodwork to challenge ownership....

We love humanity....

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being where I live and the number of MD's around, I will keep even smaller finds quiet as it would not take much research to figure out what area It was found.
I found 0.19 cents of clad yesterday and didn't post. It was my best day since getting into MDing just this weekend.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever decoded a treasure sign?

Only the ones from the bank!

I doubt I would say anything, depends on where and what I found.
There are cache hunters out there that are successful that we never hear about.
Having read KVM and Glenn Carson I'm a fan of "keep your mouth shut". Keeps you out of trouble.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like most people are in agreance as to keeping quiet about significant finds. I've posted a couple of valuable finds here in the past, but nothing I am overly concerned about being challenged for. As far as people flooding my detecting sites with information gleaned from my posts, they can certainly try. My advice is to never underestimate the power of disinformation. Do I know that cell phone pics may hide GPS coordinates? Yes. Do I usually take my photos at the actual location of the find... Rarely. I have no problem sending people off on a wild goose chase.

Of course, after I'm done with a site, it's probably hunted out anyway :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I suppose it was enough to know some of what was found by my mentors. As an interesting note,while I have not tried to locate some of their best finds through any surviving relatives, (not knowing if they knew...), the outstanding finds whereabouts are unknown now the finders are gone. That tells me to not advertise finds that would arouse interest, and to have a plan for their eventual distribution/disposal. One who was quiet was also robbed and what was stolen suggests someone he knew had seen and was involved.That must have been worse than any taxes or lawyers even.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread