You Need to See This!

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

First off, I'd like to say that I am not taking any credit for this video. Hats off to "Kaolinwasher" for taking the time to make this!

Anyways, watching this video has shaken my understanding of small vs large coils in trashy areas :BangHead:. Of course, small coils have better target separation, but does this video mean that Larger coils get around masking more easily than small ones? Does this apply to al brands of coils? Any explanation of what's going on here would be appreciated.
Happy Hunting,
C4C

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can only prove that theory if you remove the dime and see what kind or readings you get on the iron. That being said, I have always used the stock coil on my explorer and never felt the 8" had any advantage... and a disadvantage if anything. So I would have to see more to believe in that test, but I think the principle of a larger coil doing better is possible.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are both both widescan coils? It one is concentric and the other is widescan this will make a difference in separation.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are both both widescan coils? It one is concentric and the other is widescan this will make a difference in separation.

Both are DD coils

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well my self i never use small coils.. Could be i knew something that i did not know i knew.. I always thought that small coils were a waste of time..And money..

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well my self i never use small coils.. Could be i knew something that i did not know i knew.. I always thought that small coils were a waste of time..And money..

If you get into some serious trash a small coil will out perform a big coil. Seperation is the key in a trashy area, depth will be secondary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread