AT Pro vs. MX5 vs. A Few Others!! Just Curious what everyones thoughts are on these?

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro vs. MX5 vs. A Few Others!! Curious your thoughts on the best $500 range rig?

I know the detector you choose is really only good if you choose to learn and understand it and know how to use it regardless of what machine a guy has (Hell some cheap units find more stuff cause the user is one with his rig whereas the guy with the 1-2K dollar machine finds less cause he does not know how to operate it correctly, but I just want info on "the detectors themselves" if used properly) ...... I Know I will get tons of different answers and thoughts on all of this based on peoples current detectors, reviews, hearsay, past experience with a brand, Etc. Etc. Etc. ...... Just want to get some no nonsense thoughts and feedback on the Garrett and Whites in particular among the few others. Thanks for any constructive info you can provide. :icon_thumright:

So I am a new member and about 15+ years removed from the hobby. I used to detect with an Old Whites Eagle II and early Spectrum back when I was like 18-21 years old (occasionally used and old Garrett as well that my step-dad had) but my main unit was the Eagle II that has found me most of all my loot ... though the Garrett found me my oldest stuff by far when I used it).

I am now looking to get back into the hobby and want to stay in the $500 Odd Dollar range (give or take a hundred bucks or so) .... just can't justify spending 1K+ on a detector right now ... but I still don't want to spend $2-300 on a lower end detector and wish I would have got something better you know.

So the $500-600 range detector has some descent offerings and I will be getting something in that price category to start (I'll maybe jump to the $1K plus minelabs etc. if I spend a lot of time in the hobby again and can justify it, but for now it's got be a middle ground starting point).

So I have done some preliminary research and I will try to add all the metal detectors that are quality and well known and fall in this range and I would Love to get some feedback on your thoughts.

I will start by saying I am about 90% sold thus far on the Garrett AT Pro Spring Package ... it seems to be the most solid and well loved detector in this price range and has SO many reviews and videos and how too's to help out a new user ... I think overall I would do better and can learn more from that unit based on all the help I can receive online ... and the reviews are nothing short of stellar from what I can tell (give or take the random few bad ones, but that seems to about 1 in every 10 from what I have seen). I know they all have there pros and cons but this ATP seems to be the overall winner from what I can tell and the full 100% starter kit I can get from KellyCo that comes with the AT Pro, second 8x5 coil, both coil covers, Garrett Master Sound Headphones, Vulcan 360 pinpointer, detector carrying bag, Gator digger with sheath, diggers pouch, hat and a handful of other goodies as well ... All For $700 EVEN shipped to my door!!! Garrett AT Pro Sports Pack Spring Special Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

So I need to take that into account as well that this ATP kit from KellyCo gets me out with Everything I need to start searching and digging for seven hundred bucks! :laughing7:

This though is the one that got me thinking and wanting to know more ... I like Whites a lot and would like to know the Pros & Cons more then anything between the Garrett AT Pro and this Whites MX5 ....
White's MX5 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

Details About Me, Where I Live and What I Like To Hunt: :tongue3:

I live in California, Soil is hit and miss depending on where you are at, and hard dirt most often do to our massive drought and hot weather most of the time here in the San Joaquin Valley.
I will be a 90% Coin hunter ... I live for old coins and want to find those more then anything else by far ... hell I prefer an Old Coin over a gold ring really.
I want to find gold and rings etc. of course and a Token is Awesome to find as well ... Love the old history of things like Coins & Tokens over anything else.
I am not a huge relic hunter but of course there is not much history where I live for the most part so that's not super needed in a detector.
I will probably never beach hunt so that is not needed at all really.
Having a very light detector is key as I have a Very Bad back (I am hoping I can actually take up this hobby again due to that).
Not sure what else you may or may not need to know for a better idea of what I like to hunt and where.

So here are the ones that I have seen, read about, looked over threads here, and would consider potentially that are in this price range: :wav:

1. Garrett AT Pro (winning so far for me)
Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

2. Whites MX5 (Fan of whites and has good features, how does this compare to the ATP?)
White's MX5 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

The above two are top of my list but I would like to know about these others as well ...................

3. Minelab X-Terra 505
Minelab X-Terra 505 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors
or
. Minelab X-Terra 705 (bit out of price range though)
Minelab X-Terra 705 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

4. Fisher F70
Fisher F70 DD Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

5. Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Omega 8000 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors
or
. Teknetics Gamma 6000 (I would prefer the Omega 8000 though)
Teknetics Gamma 6000 Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

I know this is a wide range of detectors, I'm just trying to cover what is all available in this nice sweet spot entry point price range is all.

I do prefer a screen with details on what it finds etc. ... I am a visual person along with reading tones and want something with a nice comprehensive and info filled screen if possible (I know the more expensive ones are what I want if I like that but once again gotta stay in the price range). I know I read the Tesoro Vaquero is a solid machine but lack of screen is not my cup of tea and not something I would consider.

So I would love to hear all your thoughts on the detectors I have listed above in helping me decide what to get (and comment mostly on your thoughts of the Garret and Whites cause those are the two in the main running with the ATP being the front-runner really). Like I said It's gonna take something massive for me not to get the AT Pro anyway based on Everything I have read and how perfect that machine is just by itself, and not to mention the price, and also the package deal I can get .... it will be a hard one to beat ... but still good to know about other machines as well.

Thanks so much and I look forward to all your replies. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest going to the brand specific forum here, the Whites forum has alot of peeps swinging the MX5 it seems.

I'll have to find that and see what they are saying.

I may not post a thread there asking MX5 vs. AT Pro .... if they are mostly using the MX5 then I will get nothing but biased opinions I think since they are currently using that machine.

But maybe just reading through there can give me some more info I have been looking for on that machine.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi falcon, I use an AT Pro and a V3i and have hundreds of hours on both. For the price the AT cannot be beat IMO. I use both machines and my finds are very comparable. Of course the V is a little deeper and the 3 frequencies allow you to ID the target much easier with the Spectrograph but in the end the finds I have made are pretty close. The V is 3 times the price plus, but it's heavier, not water proof and much more complicated to use. The AT is very simple to learn and with a couple hundred hours on it you will be impressed. Mine has been used hard with no problems at all. The batteries last a long time and coins in the 6-8 inch range are not uncommon at all. The 5x8 coil is all I use, it makes the balance near perfect. Good luck!
Rob

TimeSaver

Mar 24, 2014
nepa carbon co
Detector(s) used
garrett ATPRO garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello falcon im very new to the hobby a month old to be real.I bought the atp for my first machine never did md in my life and im in my 40's as far as depth I have found a 1908 dime 13to14 inches in the ground and found a old pocket watch about 8in in the ground .I also have a bad back and I will say the atp some times get my back sore . but for a price wise the atp was the best deal I could fine my self for a mid way machine and it was like you said there a lot people saying good thing about it .so like you are to do is what I did place my order from kellyco got detector. pouch ,pin pointer ,and all the other stuff from deal one for $700.00 and change never look back and having fun with it .when you go looking for deep coins I go in zero pro mod and listen to sounds the screen don't mean much or the pin pointer ...its the tone u want ..I hope that helps a little hh

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought an AT pro, and for the price, I'm NOT really impressed. I believe a lower end detector could do the same things as the AT pro, except get dunked. Look into the Fisher F5! You can get it a lot cheaper than the AT Pro. Contact the sponsor, "Metal detecting stuff" and ask him for his best price. I'll tell you now, it's unbeatable!

I don't mean this in a bad way but I totally have to disagree with you. The at pro is a beast of a metal detector .the electronics in the Machine are far superior to most metal detectors in its price range.

the unit goes much deeper than other machines that I have tried. However the overall construction of the unit isn't all that great. But for the price I really don't think the machine can be beat performance wise.for instance today I dug up a silver quarter and a large sent over 12 inches down. I have dug a silver half dollar 10 inches down. I have dug silver dimes 8 inches down. And pennies and Indian Head pennies 9 inches down.

There is a link below this post that leads you to my youtube videos just take a look at some of the stuff I have found in less than a year. Unbelievable stuff!...like I said the overall construction of the unit is lacking but Garrett will take care of anything you have a problem with. They have sent me free parts even a free coil no charge. one thing I dont like its not ergonomic with the 8.5x11 coil but I like the coverage and the depth . long hunts can become uncomfortable on the wrist . the 5x8 would help

.whites and minelab make the most ergonomic MD's I have ever swung ..funny thing is the ctx 3030 is over 2 LB heavier then the AT PRO and its still more comfortable to use. so you may want to think about that ...I'm not saying you should go with a Garrett I'm just saying take peoples opinions with a grain of salt. My finds are not opinions they are facts just take a look at my videos and you will see what the machine is capable of...

if I were you and I had the cash I woud go with a whites but not the mx5...M6 or better or minelab 705 or better ...if you dont have the cash but still want performance go with the AT PRO..

Last edited:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure, but he wants an at pro and extras??? Also that detector obviously isn't the MXT

I actually think the problem is that the MX5 is much more complicated with a much longer learning curve than the AT Pro that the Seller is not comfortable with in learning. We see this all the time with not only metal detectors but a lot of other electronic gadgets and gizmos. If a person has the time, is willing to learn all the bells and whistles and actually learns them, then I am sure that the MX5 and other comparable White's or even other metal detectors of similar complexity will do just as well or better than the AT Pro. However, they are not waterproof nor can they be submerged to 10 feet like the AT Pro unless they are Underwater MD's.

Frank

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in your position, I had my choice of detector down to a MX5 or AT pro, I have been using my fisher hunting the beaches for over 15+ years twice a week, (It's how I paid for GMT and the MX5).
I will tell you why I chose the MX5 over the AT pro.
Balance: Holding the machine, the MX5 has a better feel. With the battery pack under the elbow I will be able to detect longer with less strain on my arm and back.
Light: I detect in the evening so a back light is a big deal for me.
Coils: MX5 can use all of the Eclipse Family Coils.
User inter face: personally I just liked it better, same reason I like the color green better than red. I just do.
Buttons: I liked the buttons better on the MX5.
It really helps if you can hold and play with each machine first.
I can hunt in the rain and the coil is water proof. Just can't dunk the unit.

Cons:
Not totally water proof.
8 AA batteries
Stock coil is not a DD.
No package deals on whites.
Location of cable connector.

gianetics

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive had the at pro and have the 705 now. id recommend getting the at pro because its obviously the one you want. i was in the same position and i got convinced into buying a used 705. i liked it a lot but always had to wonder what the atp would be like. so i traded 705 for an atp. now the atp was great as well. however i couldnt hunt the water sites i was looking at so the 10' submersible was a mute point. if you get another detector youll always wonder what the pro was all about. in depth in my bad ground they were pretty much equal the xterra was maybe a little deeper but honestly in the field not enough to matter. i just like the additional features of the 705. one thing is i hate the proprietary plugs on the at pro. i always felt like i was going to break one of the pins off.

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a $500 budget you could get a used MXT, M6 or DFX with a little shopping around. The DFX is going to be my next detector once I get out of the poorhouse.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is almost a year old now, sure he has bought one by now...

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true he should have bought a unit by now, but even old threads help new users, and those wanting more opinions :dontknow:on detectors they are thinking about buying.:icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true he should have bought a unit by now, but even old threads help new users, and those wanting more opinions :dontknow:on detectors they are thinking about buying.:icon_thumright:
I was referring to posts addressing it as current thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread