Cleaning horse rossette with Great Seal

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Posted this is what is it. We haven't narrowed it down to an exact war yet and I believe it's at least brass plated. How to clean it? I'm sure it's not going to worth all that much, so I'm probably cleaning it for my own collection. What is a safe way to clean it? The tarnish is like barnacles on it.. Lol

image-2595771631.jpg

Would electrolysis be a dumb move?

Upvote 0

dirtydig

Oct 7, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
A T Pro, ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what have you tried so far? would wait on electrolysis. try the warm peroxide first. brush it gently then olive oil it see what it looks like. 8-)

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I 'be done tbe peroxide in short spurts. N tbe oil. I'm nervous cause I'm confused of it's composite . Why does it look silverish in places, when I peroxide I see a reddish bronze show through... That oddly disappears. I'm not sure if the silver is a tarnish over bronze or if it's the bronze being removed
And it's still all barnacled.. Lol

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
What is on the back. What you have appears to be the front pin to the hat of an army dress uniform or class A whichever you want to call it.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Not saying it isn't what you think but it looks exactly like one with the same crest and rounded edges and size. They were used on class A uniforms post ww2 till round Iraq freedom.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's a Calvary bridle rosette. Awesome find Miss Missy. I wouldn't touch it as far as cleaning any more than you already have.

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I did clean her up some more since I knew I'd be keeping it. Found it on my own property:) One difference is the back side image-487056791.jpg image-3969706717.jpg

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Ok yeah that is different. I didn't know if I was missing something from the front since you only posted a front picture and the other person corrected me.

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Yeah, I could have easily gotten tbe rest of the crud off, but wanted to keep some on there. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread