I found a horseshoe, how old is it?

Apr 1, 2014
NY
Detector(s) used
Don't, but that sounds cool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ummm... I found this forum as you guys seem more knowedgable then me.

Well.. we found an OLD horseshoe and we are on a property on Longisland, ny where is hasn't been farmed in many many years, if ever because it is very rocky... So has not been used until us. Recently in the last rainstorm, a horseshoe came up from under the ground. It had come up a few days before (my dad says that it is part of the chain to a potato digger from probably 1960.)'s came up.. So we are thinking they went together, but I mean the shoe could have been from longer back and just there.

It is rusted, and been weathered. It is a right hind shoe with a trailer, meaning it has a little tail on it.. (would be for a horse that is base narrow). And the horse walked more on his toe, which makes sense. But anyway, we wanna find out how old it is.. How do you find how old steel is? or can you maybe guess by looking at the shoe?

KINDLE_CAMERA_1396439355000.jpg

KINDLE_CAMERA_1396439391000.jpg

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This shoe came from a brown horse, about 15 hands high, with a black mane. It's master was wearing black pants, a black shirt, and wore a straw hat.:notworthy: Good luck in finding your answers.

OP
OP
ExpectoPatronum
Apr 1, 2014
NY
Detector(s) used
Don't, but that sounds cool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This shoe came from a brown horse, about 15 hands high, with a black mane. It's master was wearing black pants, a black shirt, and wore a straw hat.:notworthy: Good luck in finding your answers.

Haha thanks. I see what you did there :p. Does anybody know if there is a way to date metal? Or does this look like a 1960s horseshoe?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread