No detector is perfect regardless of price so dont get frustrated

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just to let anyone who cares to no or already no, that you can get readings that are not what your id says so don't get disappointed. You may have a 1000.00 machine but sometimes aluminum can pieces can read as a coin and when you dig you said what is this aint no coin. Its the idea to dig or not, again some of you may be very good at the tones you here (experts or experienced) yes expensive machine are better even though you still have to learn how to use it. I guess what Im saying fellows of the hobby I use the old whites dfx with the DD 10 inch coil and I use a pin pointer and I continue to dig and find junk trash if you would, as a matter of fact I found a belt buckle today, 3 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, 1 penny, nothing real old 1938. So enjoy the hobby I cant go far and I don't expect to find gold but the excitement is still there, good luck to all the weather is finally getting better.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I no this: The most important item in metal detecting is knowing your choice of equipment. Buy a new model, for whatever reason, using it a few hours at best, will not give you any sense of what it is capable of.

I went about 3 months with my Ace 250 before I found a nickel. But then, one day, I learned a new indicator, and bingo, the Ace 250 brings me more nickels than any machine I ever used.

If there is a key word, it is experience. Not overall mind you, but with what you use to hunt with!

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I no what you is sain, but if yuuse gonna spend a grand ins a machine you best learn da indicator for quarters to, cud youse if you gonna b a nikel digin fool you may as well lern de indicator for quarters so you can do only 33% of da work to b get same thing.......gonna detect nickels if all thins Bering egual..........
at least you isn a zink peny digin fool cus its lots of holes for ur Herron back at leest1000 holes to make 2 bukz....

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I no what you is sain, but if yuuse gonna spend a grand ins a machine you best learn da indicator for quarters to, cud youse if you gonna b a nikel digin fool you may as well lern de indicator for quarters so you can do only 33% of da work to b get same thing.......gonna detect nickels if all thins Bering egual..........
at least you isn a zink peny digin fool cus its lots of holes for ur Herron back at leest1000 holes to make 2 bukz....

Oh Cmon, I was just fooling around.....
No one on this site has a sense of humor...:)

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the real issue at hand!

The newer generation is learning not to care about syntax. Well..... I'm of the old school, and I do care! Abbreviations like LOL, CUL, IMHO, etc., do not garner the response from me, that proper syntax will!

And geez! Don't you all have a spell checker on your computer? All iPhones, iPads, BlackBerrys, whatever have them built in! Use them!

Please!!! Take the time to post real words! Reread what you wrote before you hit the send button! And above all, be coherent!

If you do, you'll get a lot more correct responses!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He wrote it that way on purpose...a joke...come on people, tighten up.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Punctuation can save lives!

For example: Let's eat, Grandpa. Versus, Let's eat Grandpa! :)

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every generation of metal detector over the years has seen it's share of debate. I'd like to read some of the magazine reviews of prior decades metal detectors. Especially during the transition periods from tube driven, transistor, and computer enhanced detectors.

Too bad there weren't internet forums back then. You could read the arguments the tube purists would have had with the people touting the transistorized models and such.

books_002.jpg

Last edited:

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Punctuation can save lives!

For example: Let's eat, Grandpa. Versus, Let's eat Grandpa! :)

Atrocious grammar and punctuation drive me crazy! The fact is, sadly, many people do not intentionally destroy the English language to be cool or because of rampant laziness, but simply because they do not know any other way. I see this constantly, and not only on the internet. The chickens of our educational system are coming home to roost.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No detector is perfect BUT some of us detectorists are. Grammar police check that word detectorist.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah to many perfect people in the world worrying about a few misspelled words, they probably have ivy league degrees and work for the government, gee whiz now that's something to worry about. Don't judge people, race, or religion, or education when you don't no them, now go have a beer or im sorry a expensive glass of wine, HA HA.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I is what I is. Grammar and punctuation police need to get a life. And high dollar equipment doesn't make you a good detectorist. It's kinda like ***** envy with a lot of these people. It ain't what ya got, It's how ya use it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh Cmon, I was just fooling around.....
No one on this site has a sense of humor...:)

Check the date: April 1st. April 1st. April 1st. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I is what I is. Grammar and punctuation police need to get a life. And high dollar equipment doesn't make you a good detectorist. It's kinda like ***** envy with a lot of these people. It ain't what ya got, It's how ya use it.

I suppose you're right about the high dollar equipment, and no one needs to be the "punctuation police" on a public forum. But whether it's "***** envy" or not, I tend to appreciate seeing communication between people who appear to have at least given a try at learning the language that they were probably born into. (See? I just left a dangling preposition!) My main gripe is the artificial language and letter combinations people have come to use when texting or posting online, sometimes here. Acronyms are not words, and are meant to be understood by those who use the same jargon, not the public in general. I get a lot of text messages that are, to me, absolutely unintelligible. And as bad as it in in English, try deciphering it in SPANISH!

As a great intellect of the past once said:

"I see the garage. I don't saw the garage. You are speaking incorrectly. You are MOIDERING the King's English!"
curly.jpg

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This post threw me off for a brief second, until I saw who posted it. There are actually a few folks WHO DO post like this, unintentionally. I am not going to say any names....:laughing7:

I recently started to volunteer helping kids at school and it is amazing how much I forgot or didn't learn. I haven't been in high school in 23 years and a lot of what they are learning wasn't taught in college, so I am having to dust off that part of the grey matter to understand and then help them.

I do agree that there are no perfect detectors. I am sure that folks can find things at spots that I have hit, but I like to think maybe only a wheat or two, or some iron object at the most. This is why I will hit an area with two different detectors. The last place I detected with my CTX still left a good amount of coins for my Deus, but it could have been that I was working slower and digging all the anomalies the second time.

I like to think that a detector will always be consistent if the settings are all the same, but it is our frame of mind that can turn a good detecting day into a bad one, or keep us from finding everything at a spot, not the detector fault.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the real issue at hand!

The newer generation is learning not to care about syntax. Well..... I'm of the old school, and I do care! Abbreviations like LOL, CUL, IMHO, etc., do not garner the response from me, that proper syntax will!

And geez! Don't you all have a spell checker on your computer? All iPhones, iPads, BlackBerrys, whatever have them built in! Use them!

Please!!! Take the time to post real words! Reread what you wrote before you hit the send button! And above all, be coherent!

If you do, you'll get a lot more correct responses!

I no what you're sayin and I here you!:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread