Airports vs. Detector

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Does anyone have any input on this. I was told by my mentor who has been detecting for 30+ years and now sells whites, that the x-ray machines can harm your detector. I always amke them hand check it, which they moan and groan about doing their jobs. They make ya take it out put it together and show that it does waht its supposed to do. I also break it down as small as possible and put it in a small duffle and carry it on with me. It doesnt leave my sight

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
He was an electronics guru. Retired from an elcetronics outfit and now sells as well as uses detectors. He takes them apart puts them together. rebuilds new ones. He claims it will leave an impression on the the mother board somehow. You will still be able to use it and might not even know anything has happened but it will affect it. I have asked alot of people about this and he is the only one who believes this to be true. But better safe than sorry? right ?

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
your mentor is right. the radiation can weaken your detectors sensitive curcuits. Always have them hand check it.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Do not know about the Xray but the radar drives mine crazy. There is a old school that is a mile from the local airport that we use to find silver at. The airport has added something that drives all detectors we have tried there crazy.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
magnetic fields will do damage to MD if it uses micro-processors but I never heard or read about X-rays causing problems to electronics. Fact is many airports will insist on X-raying your stuff - period.

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
I been through there about a dozen times or so, and never sent it through the x-ray. I always have them hand check it and explain why. Its a large investment that I'm protecting and it is there job to examine the bags. They always throw a fit but it beats me leaving with a damaged machine.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I have been looking at high security aluminum cases on Amazon. They are designed for electronics or firearms. Can be fitted for your machine & are secure. You will have to notify TSA inspectors & request a hand search, & YOU get the key back. You can then send it as cheked baggage, same as firearms & someone will be responsible for it beyond the norm. Pack an owners manual with your machine. You can check with the airline prior to travel for better info or you may check with a travel agency. Spotz

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These Days, Wouldn't they Rip it apart to check Inside tho ::) ? especially if you refused to let them Xray it. :-\

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
I like that , unfortunately Im a GUY, and fake tears and pouting wont get it. lol. They due try to handle it rough but I watch them every step and remind them that I dont care for there attitude. I mean isnt it safer for everyone to have a human check a bag than a machine, its just laziness and not caring which in this day and age is happening more and more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread