All Treasure Hunting
A drained Lake.

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
My favorite for quantity is gravel parking areas.

My favorite for older coins is my local fairgrounds which dates back to the late 1800's.Even though it gets hunted regularly we still find the occassional silver or IH.

bigrig

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Demo/construction sites, park playgrounds, carnie sites and of course those rare old sites than went unknown until I stumbled onto them or found them using research.

OP
OP
V

Vingamel

Ah shucks, I forgot to add gravel parking lots as an option. ?Yeah, I've yet to do this, but there's a school where I've been given permission, and its gravel lot's been there for 90 years. ?That's a long time for Kansas City.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted for Athletic fields mainly because there are 4 near my house and I always find quite a bit of clad. I am new and haven't much experience. I noticed I always get hits around my car when I park in the gravel parking lots at the athletic fields, but how in the world do you dig them? After about the first inch they're like concrete....at least here in OK where all the gravel is limestone.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Depends on what you are looking for. Relics usually old farms they are where most of the civil war stuff is found. Jewelry around sporting events, ball fields, schools, and pools. Old coins nothing for me beats old residential areas.

C

czman

A old church built in 1869 and used until 1981, now it has burnt down...This place was loaded with silver and Indian heads...Don

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
I love those virgin homesteads. You start finding old farm machinery and old coins and relics. Keep everything you find until you clean it up and have a chance to actually see what you have. Almost tossed several keepers including a meteorite.

M

mchamby

Hi from VT,
my best finds have been from an old swimming hole in a river. I have only been MDing a year so I still have a lot of fun ahead of me, I hope :o

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairgrouinds are usually owned and maintained one step above City government such as a county. At any rate, ownership cn be ascertained by the county tax assessors office.

D

Darod

Middle schools and High schools seem to produce the most for me.

Rod

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
DigginD, if you meant "old fairgrounds" then you might be speaking of former fairgrounds, not current fairgrounds. Who owns the land now?
Check Jimmileo's note for current fairgrounds. The county fairgrounds where I'm at is run by a separate entity from any county government org. Like many county fairgrounds, it's basically a private organization which benefits from it's ties to local gov. A lot of the benefits or proceeds go to local charities to keep it a legal entity. You will need to get to know someone who is in leadership at your local Fairgrounds to get permission more likely than not.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noted a lot of people who khunt schoolyards. The in thing here in the last 20 years or so is to asphalt over the old playgrounds. The gradeschool I attended is not far away and it is mostly asphalt with one small section of playground equipment that is surrounded by coarse pea gravel. Pea gravel is difficult to hunt as the surface is so uneven from kids walking on it and if you get any ofthat gravel inside your knee pads, wow that smarts! That only leaves the area outside the playground area between the fence and the street. I do plan to give that area a swing after school is out.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Awesome Treasure Lady. We don't have such folk around here. They keep it to themselves and their few pals. Don't blame 'em, I've seen what it's worth after the fair in new clad alone. Hope you clean it out!

OP
OP
V

Vingamel

I just noticed a small community lake has been drained near our neighborhood. Any tips on hunting this sort of site?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the survey on favorite places to detect. One of the respondents stated his favorite site was an old drained lake. I recall one of the hazards was deep mud. You'll probably need at least hip waders to work the drained lake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread