Detecting old homesite foundation

Apr 2, 2014
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started searching an old partial foundation located on my farm. The home dates from around 1800 until early 1870's when it was dismantled with a lot of the stone being used in my current house built in 1878. I've noticed what appears to be a well filled in with a lot of rocks within the foundation footprint. Has anyone heard of wells actually being in a basement area rather than outside. This is new to me as I'm a newbie at MD. My second question to veteran MD's is for all the work involved, would it be worth excavating/clearing out that well. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Using a Garrett AT Pro.

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, lots of wells were in basements, usually under the front or back steps. My last house which was built in 1949 had a well inside as did most of my neighbors. I wouldn't attempt to excavate yours, it's pretty dangerous and I doubt there is much there. Better spent time is locating and digging the outhouse or burn pit.

OP
OP
P
Apr 2, 2014
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Susan. My wife had the same idea about excavating being dangerous! Pretty sure that I found the location of the burn/trash pit or privy depression. Will give that a try and post results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread