Odd problem with Garrett Pro-Pointer

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using my PP for a little over 4 months. I have not had any issues with it until recently. The audio alert has started sounding like something is loose inside. It's hard to explain but it definitely doesn't sound like it did when I first got it. I searched the web to see if I could find any others with a similar issue but didn't find anything.

It is still be working, but it doesn't seem quite as sensitive as before. It's also possible I am imagining it's not as sensitive because I am having the other issue. :dontknow:

I have emailed Garrett and will be sending it in, but I was curious if anyone had heard of a similar problem with the PP.

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
probably some dirt/dust building up inside, that is my guess, as it seems to be happening to mine as well.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot to mention in my original post, I have tried 2 new batteries to see if that might be part of the problem.

Otsego digger

Aug 4, 2013
My brother just called me last night and said his pro pointer no longer makes a sound it just vibrates. I told him when he first got it to cover the speaker hole with electrical tape,he didn't listen. This works great and you can still here it loud and clear. Going on 3 years with mine and no issues.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother just called me last night and said his pro pointer no longer makes a sound it just vibrates. I told him when he first got it to cover the speaker hole with electrical tape,he didn't listen. This works great and you can still here it loud and clear. Going on 3 years with mine and no issues.

Glad I read this before I order mine ... I will be sure to put a tiny bit if tape over mine when I get it.

Maybe tape over the speaker and poking a couple holes in it would help as well if it dampens the sound to much with it being fully taped.

A couple holes just poked int he electrical tape shouldn't let anything is but still keep the sound nice and loud I would think.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's plenty loud even with electrical tape over speaker but more importantly has proportionally stronger, higher freq vibration the closer you get to targets.

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great tip about the tape. I am ordering one today and I will be using this tip. This what I love about this site!

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with some above it very well mat be that something has gotten into the speaker slots to cause the difference in quality of the sounds. Try blowing or vacuuming out the ports.. then cover with tape. Don't think it's a product problem if the vibrate continues to work but you never know. Moisture through condensation could have entered here as well and changed something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread