Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being disrespected is being disrespected I don't care if I have a metal detector in my hand or not I would react badly to something like that.. This is just a television show..
I don't know why I haven't unsubscribed from this thread already.
If you guys really think that so many people that do not metal detect or at least look at it as a positive thing are going to spend their time watching that television show.. And be in such high numbers as to negatively impact what you do on a regular basis you're giving the producers a pretty big compliment... In their ability to gather ratings.
Lighten up... happy hunting.
If it leads to a lot of younger people purchasing metal detectors and somehow not acting as gentlemanly as they should then I believe the issue lies in their home and upbringing not with a couple of guys who are lucky enough to work 4 National Geographic while doing somthing they obviously love .

Last edited:

Dighere

Greenie
Dec 24, 2013
Canton, Ga
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think everyone is missing that the target audience is preteen boys.

They do there antics and speculation for time filler and to entertain children. Like it or not, you have to admit it's not fun watching someone dig pull tabs and trash. That would be the other option.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if someone yells " roundness in the hole " at me, my first impulse would be to smack them,

LOL That's Funny !:laughing7:
if someone yells " roundness in the hole " at me I'd probably crack up while shaking my head No
unless there is at the time, Then I'd laugh & say "yep" :laughing9: "But you won't see me climbing any Trees" :tongue3:

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides all the juvenile antics, ridiculous hoopla, and unfounded speculation on targets, they are detecting areas that the rest of wouldn't stand a chance in hi** of obtaining permission to hunt. I YOU like it, watch it. I'm opting out.
luvsdux
Tell us what you really think?? :laughing7:

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. The one thing I don't want is everyone's attention when I'm detecting, and if someone yells " roundness in the hole " at me, my first impulse would be to smack them

Hilarious, :laughing7: Great visual. Soooooo I'm guessing, "Juice in the pock" wouldn't be good either?? Or yelling at the top of your lungs, "I GOT THE GREATEST FIND EVER!!!" :BangHead:

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a TV Show Guys!

And do you really think anyone other then active metal detectorist of guys or gals "thinking" about getting into hobby stop on that show and watch it? There a thousand damn channels on TV.

Overall I think it's a fun show for us to watch instead of watching youtube videos of people pulling out bottlecaps from parks all day.

It;s cool to see these new old places that have so many artifacts and treasure that have never been unearthed but now are due to NatGeo having a TV show and a set of guys who have been this A Long Time uncover these treasures for them.

Ya we will never get to detect in Dodge City, or locations from the Hatfields & McCoys battle ... but they do cause it;s TV and the historians get to keep all the relics that are unearthed for their future displays etc.

Lets realize that they are kookie cause it basically a "reality show" and they need to make it fun.

And really it's not bad for the hobby at all cause we all something fun to watch that revolves around the sport we love ... plus no new people that are not somewhat level headed etc. don't say "Ohh Hey, I want to disrespect peoples land and trespass so lets do what those Digger guys do and buy an expensive ass metal detector with huge headphones just to do so"

Let's get real here! LOL

But like many have said ... If you like it or enjoy just watching a fun show about history and guys who do what we do get to go to those places then watch it! .... but if you don't like the guys because of their antics and kookieness then I have no clue what it is you watch on TV now a days cause all that the damn boob tube is full of now a days ... and the alternative is to just not watch it and move on.

I for one thing it's awesome and after 15 years removed from the hobby that show alone got me all pumped up again and now looking to dive head first fully back into the hobby remembering how Exciting it was to pull out a coin from the ground from the 1800's or early 1900's .... if it wasn't seeing them crazy guys have so much fun I would have just forgotten about how much fun I had and never got back into it.

Overall this forum should be for Detector talk ... not Tv Show talk ... I searched Diggers on this forum and ohh my lord this subject has been beat to death!!! LOL

Just let it all go, go grab your detector and go find those NECTAR SECTORS on your own!!!! :laughing7: (had to get at least one nutty quote myself ...LOL)

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting an old park in a small town last summer/fall and a father and is young son (8/9yo) felt obligated to ask me if I had found any nectar yet? I had to roll my eyes before looking up and said "you must watch Diggers".

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
I think it give property owners the impression that their property is littered with valuables.I recently lost access to a site that I have been searching for over thirty years because the owner was upset that I wasn't sharing all of the valuable finds with him.This was a childhood friend and I even offered to give him all of the finds,probably 8-10 silver coins,a minnieball and some wheaties.I explained if I ever find anything family related I always return it.Still,he had that "you're holding out on the valuables"look and wasn't interested in my claimed finds.This incident really hurt and I really haven't done any hunting since.

Trevset

Mar 19, 2014
I enjoy the show. They do get a little crazy sometimes that kinda makes you not take it seriously, but overall I believe they are bringing awareness to the hobby and its interesting to see what they find

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep I agree. All these things are doing nothing but hurting the hobby. I think Garrett likes it ok though.
.. Garrett and all the detector dealers love the show …Money in all there pockets..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

They do there antics and speculation for time filler and to entertain children. .
That is what i said before it is a children's show not a adult s show..

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it give property owners the impression that their property is littered with valuables.I recently lost access to a site that I have been searching for over thirty years because the owner was upset that I wasn't sharing all of the valuable finds with him.This was a childhood friend and I even offered to give him all of the finds,probably 8-10 silver coins,a minnieball and some wheaties.I explained if I ever find anything family related I always return it.Still,he had that "you're holding out on the valuables"look and wasn't interested in my claimed finds.This incident really hurt and I really haven't done any hunting since.
If that property owner watched the show Diggers he would surely know that there were no great valuable items on his property. They monetary value of their finds are quite small for two guys hunting a week on the off limits type of sites they hunt. You should tell him to watch the show and he would probably apologize and tell you to have at it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting an old park in a small town last summer/fall and a father and is young son (8/9yo) felt obligated to ask me if I had found any nectar yet? I had to roll my eyes before looking up and said "you must watch Diggers".
Your lucky, if they hadn't seen the show he would have told his son to stay away from that strange guy scratching for pennies.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They do there antics and speculation for time filler and to entertain children. Like it or not, you have to admit it's not fun watching someone dig pull tabs and trash. That would be the other option.
I wouldn't say pre teen but its definitely liked by the younger crowd...I figured that out a long time ago.

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of shows like this. Storage wars, American pickers, auction wars, barter kings. Pick your flavor. I like then all actually.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not think Diggers hurts our hobby/sport, passion at all!
If anything, it changes people's (people who don't detect) outdated attitude about metal detecting in general! It also opens up the possibility for the average person to get a chance to dig on some unique properties...
Thanks for the compliment, by the way, I haven't been called a preteen boy in 52 years!:laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 99% of those who watch either Detect or Know someone in their Family or close friend Circles
who detects & is Interested/curious

the other 1% happen by while searching for something to watch Hear one of them Yelling,
or see them Climbing a tree & think "What The :o ? " and stop channel surfing
long enough to watch.

or are big on Natgeo, that they never change it
except maybe to watch the news

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is if I'm ever in an AWESOME nectar sector and dig 5 colognes out of one juice hole with great roundness I'm highly likely to do a few flips and bounce off of trees. If the didn't have the crazy antics would the show be more successful? Probably not but I guess we'll never know. I admit after thumbing through the other options on TV like duck dynasty reruns, honey booboo, etc, it is a welcomed show even though I believe it hurts our hobby overall. I see Terry's point about newbs, but the funny thing is I've seen a lot of older hunters (I'm 44 going on 17) using poor recovery techniques than newbs. I live in a small town and have only seen 3 other people hunting, 2 with Aces and one with an ATP, and am pretty sure judging on their swinging technique, they are copying Ringy and KG.

Last edited:

2scots

Apr 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason I don't care for "Diggers" threads…Nothing is ever said that hasn't been said 100 times (at least) before!

Oh yeah?

Shush kebab penny potatoe diddly dee dee oh no it's yours not mine ya cheese smelling landlubber.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. I do have to agree with fella in that I have nothing of value to add.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread