$200-$300 Detector that will last?

Machxin

Apr 26, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy, I use the Tesoro Vaquero and I am looking to pick up a detector for my family or friends. I would like a cheap easy one that has the screen and readings and such that would last and be capable of coins/artifacts (As we live in that area of stuff).

I have looked and saw the Garret Ace 250, Fisher F2, and such but came here for an opinion on it. Just a capable 200-300 dollar detector that has ok depth for coins and relics.

Oh and would ground balance/mineralization be a big issue in Northern Missouri soil?

Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In that price range, I can't think of one detector that offers ground balance. That said, it's not necessary. A Fisher F2 or Tekentics EuroTek Pro would be a great choice in that price range. They'll work well in all but the most difficult grounds.
I bought an F2 for my kids last summer and was quite impressed. I even find myself opting for it certain situations. (tot lots, newer parks and such) It's light, easy to use, stable, good on batteries and very affordable.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is $400 but look at the Coinmaster GT has auto track and all the bells and whistles. Great depth and very little training needed.. walked up to the basketball court, turned it on swung it back and forth and dug up a dime. Was my first time out ever.. had a ball with no frustration.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eurotek Pro with 11" DD coil is hard to beat for $299. You may trade with your friends though after just a little while of detecting. Great audio, fast recovery and 5 year warranty. (Non-transferrable). I've owned the other 2 you mentioned in the OP and think the Eurotek is has much better tone ID and iron audio. The F2 would be a close second.

Last edited:

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
If you are looking for a detector for friends and family like you said the ace 250 would be a good machine. I have one and with the buttons labeled and the screen Is really straight forward it would be an easy machine to hand someone that doesn't detect and they would be able to use with very little explanation. Look at the picture of the screen or an introductory video of one. They are a very easy to use machine. As for it lasting they seem pretty well build like I kid could use them without it breaking.

bigtruck68

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh,Pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt * minelab sovereign xs * whites 6000 DI Pro * musketeer xs * xp deus* etrac*tesoro vaquero *
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never was a garrett fan and the new fisher are just rubish ( bounty hunters ) try a whites coinmaster pro, they work well and are easy to use

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
At the high end of your price range it can get a little interesting as you're leaving the entry level detector level and bumping up to the novice level. The Ace 250 is great at $215 or so, and I like the Ace 350 at $300. However, at $300-$400 you have a lot of good options.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never was a garrett fan and the new fisher are just rubish ( bounty hunters ) try a whites coinmaster pro, they work well and are easy to use
You're bagging on the new Fishers for being rubbish & you have the audacity to recommend the CoinMaster Pro.…lol! Funny stuff!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with your gut, no matter what you buy you will wonder if another brand is better. Everyone has their own opinions and believe me i have 4 detectors from $89 to $1700 and each has their good points. You get what you pay for no matter what brand you choose.

OP
OP
M

Machxin

Apr 26, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info everyone, I use the Vaquero and if you hand it to a newer detectorist you are asking to have them feel disheartened because it takes a lot of getting used too. So it is just not one you hand to someone that does the hobby rarely.

I will take a look at all the suggestions, thanks again and gave a great day everyone!

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I would say go with either the ace 250 or fisher f2 they are both very easy for someone that doesn't detect. You can set them hand it to a friend and off they go.

Here's a little differences between the two.
The ace gets slightly more depth (about an inch) in side by side comparison videos.

The ace has 12 notch discrimination and ID while the f2 has 8 I believe. The f2 has a 1-99 TID readout and the 250 does not. So the f2 will be nice for someone that learns the machine the 250 will be nicer for ID to people picking it up and going with the 4 extra ID notches.

They both a 8 level sensitivity setting.

Both faces are very simple. The 250 is labeled a tiny bit better for someone not familiar with the machine but really the both are easy to operate.

So in my personal opinion the 250 is a better machine overall BUT with the TID of the f2 it definitely evens the playing field so either way you cannt go wrong.

Hope this helps a little

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I recommend the Teknetics Eurotek Pro, air tests 9" on a dime with a loud, 100% repeatable & solid beep. It can go that deep in some soils, less in others, I have the 11" DD but the 8" I read also air tests 9" on a dime. It has a giant numerical ID which is more accurate than most other detectors that lack an external ground balance. The concentric 8" coil version is $219, the 11" DD version $299. DD coils can have a problem with rusty iron, but this detector has special features to help ID iron & how or if you hear it, & iron flash on screen. Once you pick the iron setting, discrimination setting, & volume setting, you don't have to do anything but swing the detector & dig when it beeps. It has non-motion pinpoint with depth reading. Very few detectors are this easy & provide most needed info at the same time.

I've had Coinmasters & Prizms, Ace 250s & a Fisher F2, but sold them. I'm keeping the Eurotek Pro. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread