Garrett AT Pro ... With No Cam Locks, Old Version Right? Any Issues With Those???

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I have been tossing around buying a new detector to restart this hobby I enjoyed a long time back and the Garrett AT Pro is in the front running and I'm basically sold on it.

So i decided to look on craigslist and someone is actually selling a descent looking used Garrett AT Pro for $450 ... I assume he may go less so I would assume I could score it for 350 to 400 dollars more then likely.

But I did remember reading about an old version with no cam locks ... so I went back to the craigslist picture and sure enough no cam locks .. from what I read this makes this model one of the first to release in late 2010 early 2011.

What is the difference between the old first released models with no cam locks as opposed to the newer models that have them and ones being manufactured today?

I read a lot about falsing in early models ... I would hate to think though it may be a good price it has issues because it is the older model like falsing, bad build quality, etc. etc. .... Anything???

Any info you can provide on this would be great ... depending on the feedback I receive here will depend on whether or not I call and make an offer possibly.

Thanks so much guys and I eagerly await some replies! :icon_thumright:

BELOW ... Pics of the actual ATP ........................

00000_6ZUphhXyntk_600x450.jpg 00S0S_7oL1T7tM99e_600x450.jpg 00V0V_izklXLOPM0o_600x450.jpg

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your correct falcon, the old models were reported to have falsing problems and had to be sent back to be repaired. Also you want the cam lock version to break down the detector if you travel, especially on a plane. A new AT Pro can be had for just over $500 from a supporting vendor on this site and comes with a nice warranty.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, older models have falsing issues. I can tell you a dealer who gave me his best price when I bought mine! just shoot me a pm and i'll be glad to say who!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The old machines without locks can easily be adjusted for length or broken down for travel. Garrett started putting them on due to public demand for them. A lot of folks erroneously believe cam locks prevent falsing.

OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett will replace that in a heartbeat

So even though this is an original looks like, more then likely 3 years old now I would assume .... would Garrett still take it and do the upgrade and check it out etc.?

I see it costs $40 to do this back in the day plus the cost to ship it in ... So I guess that would cost me another $60 bucks if that is still the case and start to make it not such a great deal .... puts me back in the $460 range I would assume after that (since he is asking 450 and I would assume maybe go to 400).

Be great if I could get it for cheaper then pay to send it in and have all this done though ... If I can get this for like 350 and have it sent in and all fixed up an ATP for like $410 would be a good $150 odd dollar savings since the cheapest I have found it was $550 .... BUT is the $140 savings worth having a 3 year old unit (though it looks as if it wasn't used much at all) with no warranty and maybe older internal electronics and been weathered etc. etc.??????

Maybe if will just low ball him and offer 300 and if he takes it may be worth that price .. anything more maybe not so much.

So you guys think this would be a bad idea considering it is the older model with no cam locks and high potential for falsing???

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally wouldn't do it. Call Bart at BigBoysHobbies and tell him your a T-Net member first.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the first generation had issues. They either got upgraded firmware or new control boards. The old upgrade program added camlocks and a longer shaft for better balance and extended the warranty.. Future generations had changes to the coil connectors (from plastic to metal threads). If this unit has the old firmware/control board, garrett will probably repair that, but the old upgrade program ended years ago.

Ive seen first generations sell for $300-375 recently on forums. I hope this helps you in your decision.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna pass on this.

I have spoke with Bart and others as well ... Most in the 550 range which is great.

And I do prefer new and full warranty anyway.

Thanks guys for the info

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont worry about CAM LOCKS, they have absolutely nothing to do with BAD UNITS. The "upgrade" was not free, it was for the camlocks, along with a free factory test of the unit, and you had to PAY FOR IT I remember it as 29.99 but it could have been more. It all had to do with offering the new improved camlock stick, that's all. Garrett was not going to give away a thirty dollar piece for fun. If you wanted camlocks, you had to pay. If you think camlocks are an upgrade, then so be it. Garrett never referred to this offer as an upgrade. When first released Garrett shipped some bad pros and they were bad, there was a problem with the ELECTRONICS. The forums were abuzz. Some folks erroneously complained that the falsing was due to lack of camlocks. A lot of reports for the fix was replaced coil. Garrett never puplished the smoking gun. One thing is for sure, it was not due to lack of camlocks. If you replace the older style button shaft with a cam lock shaft on a bad unit, you still have a BAD UNIT. My pro is over three years old and has no camlocks and has no problems its killer. Anyway, Garrett took action and offered the camlock upgrade and free check up of the machine. If the unit was in fact bad, well it got fixed of course. If your machine was bad and you knew it, you sent it in under warranty, it got fixed for FREE. But you did not get FREE CAMLOCKS. I did not go for the camlock charade, my atpro has never failed me in over three years and I dont particularly care for camlocks. You can order the camlock shaft from Garrett cheap, I think its 29.99. A pro without camlocks is not broken. I know Garrett, they will fix any of the faulty original pros out there very cheap if not for free. But you wont get camlocks for free.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think he's worried about the cam locks. He is trying to date the used machine and no cam locks shows it is an older machine and he was trying to figure out if the older unit for sale possibly could have the bad board.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Reiman, agreed but he can get the serial number to determine age. But that wont help because no matter how old it is, there is no way to know if its good unless you use it. Very few of the original pros were bad but we heard about some. But the op is greener than me on sunday morning after an all out bender so he cant even tell if its good or not. We know any used machine has a fair chance of being bad regardless of brand, or if it has camlocks or not. We know a brand new unit fresh from the factory may be bad, even if it dont have camlocks. Some people cant tell a good machine from a bad one but camlocks have nothing to do with this. The ops post has camlock written all over it top to bottom. I am making it clear that camlocks are not the issue, which is the op's main concern based on giving such weight to cam locks in the post. The op does not need to screw with a used atp. He needs an f2, its basically the same but has four tones not three, its lighter, has awesome coil selection, and it costs a lot less because it aint waterproof and he can spend the extra bread on a good digger and maybe a probe thingy. Dont forget the nail pouch please.

Last edited:

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to purchase a detector, try the Fisher f5 and Wayne at metal detecting stuff (forum sponsor) will hook you up with one for a great price. Just remember to mention your a t net member!

-Ryan

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I have decided on the Minelab X-Terra 705

I think that bad boy may the the ticket for me I hope.

Jyst didn't feel comfortable with this older first released model ... and if I needed to get anything fixed or upgraded it would just add tot he cost and not make the deal worth it.

And ya it didn;t have anything to do so much about the cam-locks just more about stating this one Does Not have them and which I know makes it the first few months of release since they changed that fairly quick to add cam-locks and do whatever to the internals that needed to be done as well.

This was one of those deals where it just felt like a bad idea so I moved on.

And I'm glad I did cause even though the Minelab 705 will cost a little bit more then the ATP I think from what I have read and researched it will work better for me and my area along with it being I think a better overall detector as well .... there is SO much info, books, reviews, videos, etc. etc. and that is what I liked about the AT Pro ... it was a popular unit and many owned it. Well this is I believe the only other unit in this price range that compares (Along with the Fisher F70 I think as well) and I Really like how well it functions, the bells and whistles for a mid range device along with multiple coil frequency (which I like cause I will be a 99% coin-shooter and I want a low Khz frequency and the ATP is 15 ... I prefer the 7.5 of the X-Terra and even the 3khz of the bad boy Digger!).

But back to this thread ... I passed and I think I will be glad I did! :)

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
falconman,
I think passing on the old AT Pro was a good idea!
I'm a fan of Minelab detectors as you may be able to tell under my avatar!
Best of luck on whatever detector you go for!
8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
falconman515

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya I'm glad I decided to go ahead and pass on it anyway ... I think the X-Terra 705 will suite me better.

Plus I like to know I have full manufacturers warranty and the minelab 705 gives me 3 total as well which is nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread