Waterproof land detector?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone is going to suggest the AT Pro only because it is water resistant to 10 foot. The DFX is an up grade from the MXT and a plastic baggie over the controls if your out in the rain. ATP doesn't compare to the MXT.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aren't tesoros waterproof? You could try one of those, or if you want to hunt in the rain, get a cover for the control box and that will solve that issue.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plastic lunch bag over the control box makes ANY brand waterproof in the rain - just sayin..

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plastic lunch bag over the control box makes ANY brand waterproof in the rain - just sayin..

Perhaps the manufacturers could make a plastic control box cover instead of them lame coil protectors.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• lobo 007.jpg
    lobo 007.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 93

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even a duck knows to get out of the rain! :) I've never liked digging in wet dirt or mud. The beach is the one place I'll hunt through rain if there's no lightning which is very rare in FL. I guess your options are the ATPro or CTX. But about every non-waterproof machine has a rain fly available for it.

Last edited:

Dirtydog

Apr 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Even a duck knows to get out of the rain! :) I've never liked digging in wet dirt or mud. The beach is the one place I'll hunt through rain if there's no lightning which is very rare in FL. I guess your options are the ATPro or CTX. But about every non-waterproof machine has a rain fly available for it.

I have both the AT Pro and the CTX 3030. Both are fine machines in the water and on land. I swing the CTX most of the time it's heavy but it will track and mark a target with the best of them. Now if only the operator were as good as the machine!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned the pro briefly. Not a bad machine for the money.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone is going to suggest the AT Pro only because it is water resistant to 10 foot.
Since he's interested in land hunting…10ft should be more than enough. You think he's going to get 10ft rain falls? Your same lame argument isn't valid more than half the time!

The DFX is an up grade from the MXT and a plastic baggie over the controls if your out in the rain.
For a light drizzle maybe. Rain not so much! Ever hear of condensation building up? Electronics love it!

ATP doesn't compare to the MXT.
Yes it is. Two of my favorite machines. I still own the ATP. Come to think of it, so do you!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the plastic baggies protect the controls from the rain and you don't close off the bottom or you'll get condensation, but I thought you'd know that. As for me still having the ATP, I still use it but don't have the confidence in it like my others. Maybe now if it found a gold ring. At least the third one works like the ones you guys have. Couple posts ago you said you got rid of the ATP...
I owned the pro briefly. Not a bad machine for the money.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like you Sandman i still have my ATP and don't have the experience with as many detectors as you do but I love the challenge of getting the most out of a new detector. I recently bought a V3i and there is no comparison to the ATP and i am just learning it. Don't get me wrong i like my ATP but I am liking this Whites V3i. As for waterproof I don't detect in the rain and use my ATP on the beach.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was me Sandman and I said the AT wasn't a bad machine for the money and I owned mine briefly. I sold it after using it about 2 months for $500 back when all the dealers ran out of stock. It's the best bang for the buck for a waterproof multi use machine there were just certain things I didn't like about it. Everyone's different in what they like.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Why anybody would want a waterproof tecter for land use confounds me it makes me all crazy and it drives me a bit wacky thinking about it, waterproof machines tend to be fussy and are always more expensive. And tend to be heavier. And cost more to fix. Typically. Waterproof tecters are regular tecters that can get wet (without worry?), but you pay for it in more ways than one. Having said all this, I use cz20 and atpro exclusively on land. If its raining and my tecter aint waterproof, I usually go home unless its a killer hot spot that's tough to get too, then I get the big azz freezer bag out. They should make a non waterproof atpro it would be a big hit, being so much cheaper. It would be called the ALPro. All Land Pro.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone else kind of wonder why more companies don't have more waterproof models available in more price ranges? If some of these companies would pull their heads out of their rear ends they would get a lot more business. The AT Pro gets a lot of referrals simply because it is waterproof, I think if other brands would come out with a good 5-700 dollar waterproof machine the AT Pro might have more competition. Who knows maybe I am unaware of something but the waterproof machines seem to really limit peoples selection.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
It is like this i have hunted in the rain with all my detectors and none of them was water proof only the AT Pro.. And i have never had a problem with any of my detectors i used in the rain that were not water proof……. It just seems like most every body worries about nothing … like i can't take my detector in the rain yes you can i do ….. Who should i contact to hunt this land were there is nothing around just hunt it i do …so many wooses if that is how you spell it detecting now a days…`

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm MD'ing with my M6 and it rains, I put a sandwich size bag on the screen, and a jumbo zip bag on the control housing, slide part facing front and I poke the headphone jack thru the bag. Only problem I may have is lighting, neither the M6 or I am lighting proof! Standing in water waving an electronic device around would attract the wrong kind of excitement!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread