Alternatives to Peroxide for cleaning copper coins...

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
From my observations, hydrogen peroxide is the most recommended and safest method for cleaning the majority of dug copper coins. However, using hydrogen peroxide does not work on every copper. Many dug coppers have been exposed to ground conditions that destroy detail and corrode the metal below the "crust" leaving the coin too far gone to uncover the detail below. It's not uncommon to see detail as a coin comes out of the ground, only to lose it later when trying to clean it. My question is:

What are the alternative methods for cleaning coppers that are either "too far gone" to use hydrogen peroxide or just as an alternative method? How do you best preserve detail which is no longer present on the coins actual surface and only exists as a layer of crust or corrosion?

Upvote 0

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak in olive oil for about a week then toothpick what dirt u can get off easily...may take a couple or soaks...peroxide works great on some coppers but really dries the surface out...on bad coins it will hurt more than help

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Soak in olive oil for about a week then toothpick what dirt u can get off easily...may take a couple or soaks...peroxide works great on some coppers but really dries the surface out...on bad coins it will hurt more than help

Thanks thumper, I've had luck with olive oil in the past. I use it frequently after peroxide to help mitigate the drying of the surface. I have also soaked coins in distiller water with some success.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a LC that has a permanent home in a container of olive oil, at some point I will have to concede that I will never be able to read the date, that isn't there! I need to find another one with a date!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean dry with a combination of a brush and toothpick. Anything else will probably wash it all away.

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to mding do you soak it in peroxide or rince and for how long generally?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few people has posted that of you stick the penny in a potato and leave it for a while, I think like weeks, it will remove most of the crud.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sodium hexametaphosphate solution (about 10%) is a safe cleaning method. Use warm water and remove the coin/item regularly and rinse off to check on progress. This allows you to remove just enough surface deposit so that any patina left is undamaged.

Olive oil can contain fairly large amounts of salt and does a fair degree of damage down the line.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, that explains it!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sodium hexametaphosphate solution (about 10%) is a safe cleaning method. Use warm water and remove the coin/item regularly and rinse off to check on progress. This allows you to remove just enough surface deposit so that any patina left is undamaged.

Olive oil can contain fairly large amounts of salt and does a fair degree of damage down the line.
Olive oil if it is pure contains no salt.

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I get this correct, soaking an old wheat penny that has a coarse cruddy coating will remove that coating. The wheat pennies I have been digging up here in Pennsylvania can be nasty. I'll try olive oil, but are there any other methods? I was given some penny cleaner, and it works great on bare pennies. Most of the dug up pennies have too much exterior build up for it have any kind of an effect.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I get this correct, soaking an old wheat penny that has a coarse cruddy coating will remove that coating. The wheat pennies I have been digging up here in Pennsylvania can be nasty. I'll try olive oil, but are there any other methods? I was given some penny cleaner, and it works great on bare pennies. Most of the dug up pennies have too much exterior build up for it have any kind of an effect.

I've tried olive oil and it made them black. I was told not to use it.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brian, if you could explain the process a little further, that would be a great help to everyone. Possibly some before and after pictures as well.

I notice that some laundry detergents list Sodium Hexametaphosphate as a key ingredient, so any guidance in product selection would also be helpful.

Thanks!

rapidroy7

Sep 25, 2009
One method take small piece tinfoil crinkle it real good, fold edges up a little put coin in, place in freezer, drip couple drops of water on coin let freeze then take a soft brush to it. A long drawn out process (numerous cycles) with varying degree's of success does not seem to harm coin, another I've heard of never tried put glue on coin, let dry, pull off? P.s if someone feels this is wrong feel free to correct/inform!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also most wheat cents are not particularly valuable, if you want to just get them clean for display get a small barrel tumbler at harbor freight and use some cheapo aquarium gravel from Wal-Mart and put half of a tea spoon of dish detergent and fill the tumbler half full of coins and gravel then fill the water up to just over the top of the gravel and let them tumble for 4 or 5 hours and then rinse and re add some soap and do it again for about 6 to 8 more hours. This will clean them up nicely. Also works on your clad if you want to get it clean for a coin exchange machine. If you have any clue that your coin may have some value to it, DO NOT USE THIS METHOD! A truly valuable coin needs to be professionally cleaned to preserve its value.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a method I found that works well...

HOME

I tried that with moderate results. One thing I can say is DON'T USE A VALUABLE GLASS CONTAINER IN THIS EXPERIMENT! I used a measuring cup of little value, but It's pretty much ruined. The liquid eats through the aluminum foil and funkifies the glass.

As a side note/question; do you need to use a glass container? Does it have anything to do with the reaction or simply for sturdiness?

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I myself am not sure. Haven't try a plastic container.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread