luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tejon will give you more depth than the Cibola and has the manual ground balance plus the dual discrimination which would be handy.
luvdux

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A new model named The Cazordor is being released as a new high end model soon. It will have multi tones. Not sure of a VDI. Do you coin hunt or civil war or both? It does matter in making a choice. I am looking at a Fisher F 70 as my next addition. I am a Tessoro guy but want one VDI machine but cant stand Garrett's ding dongs .

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like Tesoros, stay with em. The Vaquero or Tejon will certainly fit the bill.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola / Whites Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im am a civil war guy for sure. And like old homesites

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im not much on the vdi machines, have a whites with a vdi and I catch myself lookin at it or relying on it... I reallly love my cibola beep and dig. Anyone know when the new Tesoro is goin to be released?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon if you're not into screened machines and like digging relics. The dual disc/ pinpoint toggle switch was a plus over the Vaqero. You flip the toggle switch with trigger finger to use upper disc mode, which is better than thumbing a knob IMO. Pinpoint is also on same toggle switch in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Will the Tejon do well here in Va. I keep seeing reviews that say it is only average detector in mineralized soil... I have no problems with my cibola, every now and then it will get chattery but other than it works great!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your in VA in the same highly mineralized red clay that's around Culpeper. I would try a Whites TDI or Minelab GPX. Both are beep and digs for the most part. Most all VLF's have trouble punching through it the highly conductive soil there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those machines are way out of my budget..

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are 2 Whites TDI on eBay. One for $895 BUY IT NOW and seems to be in good shape. It has a BEST OFFER option too. The other is an auction and is starting at $750. I have seen several go for 700-$900 lately. Not too far off what a Tejon costs new.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEW Tesoro Sand Shark? Brand new they're about $600.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEW Tesoro Sand Shark? Brand new they're about $600.
Fella, from what I have been told by experienced guys in that area needs a PI with ground balance I'm sure a Shark could handle certain spots but maybe not as well as a TDI because if the ability to GB. I've only hunted there once in my life and can tell you it's some rough digging compared to sandy, loamy soil around south GA.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll type it once more.. Get a Tesoro Vaquero - Good Hunting!

lostbaja

Apr 14, 2014
Decatur, AL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax + Tesoro Bandido II uMax + Tesoro Vaquero + Tesoro Deleon + BH Tracker IV housed in a Pop Tart box
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like Tesoros, I'd say stay with em. I have been using a Silver Umax for about 3 years in iron rich Alabama dirt and it served me very well. I recently upgraded to a Tejon that I bought used, and I'm happy with my decision. If ground balanced right it does seem to be deeper than the Silver. I love the dual disc modes at the flip of a trigger and the tone adjustment is handier than I thought it would be.

I had some worries about the Tejon being chatty or unstable in really bad ground, but I havent had any of that. Yes, its "noisier" than the Silver but its a lot more sensitive machine too. If you read the instructions and give it an afternoon to learn the ropes, there will probably be little to no learning curve. That was my experience anyways.

I have only owned these two detectors and a BH Tracker so take my opinions as a newbs outlook on it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I decided on the vaquero with high tone... I recieved it monday and it has been raining since so havent been able to get out with yet. I have done a few air test just to check disc and wanted to see what the high tone was gonna sound like... I think im really gonna like it. I will take it out for a hunt soon as it quits raining.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im not much on the vdi machines, have a whites with a vdi and I catch myself lookin at it or relying on it... I reallly love my cibola beep and dig. Anyone know when the new Tesoro is goin to be released?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on it. Some have said it is going to be released soon and that is false. Tesoro never gave a date, time, or estimation on release. They don't exactly have a large R and D/engineering department so it might be a bit yet. They also have not given details as to what kind of detector it is going to be, coin/relic/prospecting. If you want to stay with Tesoro get a Vaq. or Tejon. If not and you want a VDI, take a serious look at the F70, the guys that use it are getting some great depths.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread