is it a cache? i think it is, but its so DEEP, i am STILL DIGGING a WEEK later!

mitchellf

Apr 11, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was using my :metaldetector:on sunday the 6th and think i have a:treasurechest:. its big, because i dug for over 45 mins and still havent struck. :icon_scratch: the signal is STRONG, even at such depths:icon_scratch: the signals cover a solid foot or so, not a single location like a coin would. someone who has found a cache before, tell me if these conditions sound like those that would indicate a cache. whoever can answer this question (the bold underlined stuff) and is right i'll give... uh, ill be your friend

okay... today is friday the11th, and i'll be back soon to tell you what i find this weekend soon:hello: wish me:4leafclover: :)

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like your digging in highly mineralized soil... all the way to China

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to Tnet. I wish you the best, but I once found a tractor wheel after digging forever to find my strong signal. It was lying perfectly level, I thought I had found "The Hatch".

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most caches are not buried deeper than an arm's length. Once I dug down about two feet and when I stuck my coil all the way to the bottom the signal started to get weaker!! I had dug a 12"diameter hole down two feet through the middle of a 20" diameter rusty old barrel hoop that was lying flat at about 14". If it isn't just mineralized soil like G.I.B. says, and it could be, try widening you hole in one direction. And, sadly enough, larger targets are the same as small ones in that most of them will turn out to be junk.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmm.... 2nd post. Why is this always the same?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I uh, detected what I imagined to possible be a uh...pirates chest on the beach, once.
2ft X 2ft, solid signal, dug down a foot at the corner in a hurry cause of in coming tide only to find I had discovered a piece of sheet metal! Lol! So much for the chest of gold!
Hope your luck is better than mine!

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Piece of Amish farm implement. Iron plow head or tooth.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt you found a Cache. Ck your dug soil there may be some slaw in it that is giving you a signal. You could br 1" -2 " away from a can as well

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
Ok... question about metal detecting for gold. I friend of mine thats and old timer called me the other day to talk, he told me that him and his grandson where out on a hike (they live in Missouri) and his grandson had a metal detector. He went on to tell me about an old cabin foundation that they came across and that in the ground under where the cabin was is a fairly good size hole thats covered with big timbers. After checking out the old cabin site they journeyed up the hill, he said about 150yrds up hill he found a fox hole under some tree roots when his grandson started yelling at him to hurry and come over to where he was, when the old timer went to where his grandson was he noticed that the boys metal detector was putting off a strong sign of gold at a depth of 27ft. He is pretty old so it was kind of hard to understand his raspy voice but i got from him that when they jumped on the ground he said it sounded hollow.

Could the the fox hole be an entrance an underground cavern with a stolen loot stash from someone like jesse james? Is it even possible for a detector the read at that depth? Will other metals give off a gold signal?

Well he went on to tell me that he knows im into gold panning and treasure hunting and that he dont have the balls to go down into the hole. I told him my balls are ready and willing to go down in the hole! SORRY for the innuendo :-) any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's probably not a good idea to jump up and down when the ground sounds hollow.

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
Could the hole under the cabin be an escape route to the fox hole and the hollowness be a cavern where they stashed the loot?

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
I dont know thats why im here asking... He said the detector gave a reading of 27ft. Is there even a detector that gives that reading?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahhh ok got yeah.I dont believe there is one.27 feet is roughly from where I'm sitting to my front door.Dont think its going to be happening.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I dont know thats why im here asking... He said the detector gave a reading of 27ft. Is there even a detector that gives that reading?

There is no detector that can detect an object "27 foot away". If you had a Volkswagon, you could perhaps detect it to 10 or 15 ft. away with a 2-box unit type detector. Also: no detector is going to tell you "gold" versus any other sort of metal either. Conductivity, perhaps, but composition? no.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread