If you had $1300 and had to start over...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You have a $1300 budget and have to start all over. What machine and accessories would you get and why?
I would get another xterra 705, a good shovel , a pro-pointer and a couple dd coils high and low frequincys (spelling?) With these items it would be pretty versatile...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A slightly used Etrac (warranty left) with stock coil, Sunray X-8 coil for running TTF in iron, garrett pinpointer and a Predator model 31 digger. Great setup!

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Xterra 705 and my Tiger Shark would about total that. Of course I would still need my Propointer and my water scoop...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my CZ21, my AT pro and pro pointer all for $1350...all new...I would get the same things again.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on what kind of hunting you plan on doing. You're getting answers and nobody knows if you want to water hunter, nugget shoot, coin & jewelry hunt, Competition hunt, Relic hunt, or find keys lost in the ivy. How about a little more info for some better suggestions. Otherwise someone's likely to suggest eight Tesoro Compadres so you can hunt tot lots for the next 60 years and never run out of backups. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Stone

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt parks and old home sites but I was just interested in knowing what others on here would do if they had the money. I'm looking at an AT Pro or F75 LTD. Lately I've been finding a lot of cool relics at the home sites and I'm kind of getting into it but I'm the type of person that if the machine goes beep, I dig it regardless if I believe it's trash. That the way I was when I was using my Brother in laws F2.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You kinda answered your own question. If you dig everything you don't need anything that costs $1300. Save your money for 5 gallon buckets and shovels. :)

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A slightly used Etrac (warranty left) with stock coil, Sunray X-8 coil for running TTF in iron, garrett pinpointer and a Predator model 31 digger. Great setup!

Similar for me, I might consider the Minelab Safari, if I wanted new. The e-trac has a lot features I don't use too, like connecting it to the computer to uplaod/download programs, so the Safari might be just as good for me. I also use the 8x6 SEF and like it, don't know anything about the Sunray.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Similar for me, I might consider the Minelab Safari, if I wanted new. The e-trac has a lot features I don't use too, like connecting it to the computer to uplaod/download programs, so the Safari might be just as good for me. I also use the 8x6 SEF and like it, don't know anything about the Sunray.

Yes, I never used the USB port either, but the biggest feature of the Etrac that I don't believe the Safari has is TTF and the Smartfind FE-CO Numbers. I've never used the Safari so can't be sure.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I never used the USB port either, but the biggest feature of the Etrac that I don't believe the Safari has is TTF and the Smartfind FE-CO Numbers. I've never used the Safari so can't be sure.

I have never used the Safari either, but I think it does have the FE-CO, 2 sets of numbers, but they have different meanings than on the e-trac. The Safari is multi-frequency like the e-trac, I like that.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never used the Safari either, but I think it does have the FE-CO, 2 sets of numbers, but they have different meanings than on the e-trac. The Safari is multi-frequency like the e-trac, I like that.

My mistake, it's the Explorer I'm thinking of. It has the 2 sets of numbers, but a different logorythm/formula for target ID.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try the Whites V3i with wireless headphones. It is hard to learn to maximize the potential efficiency but worth every penny. There are other detectors that perform a bit better in some areas but no detector comes close as an all around detector. My best advice would be to go with your gut. We all have what we like best because we have learned our particular detectors.

I have 2 Garretts and ACE 250 and an AT PRO along with my Whites V3i. I like my ACE and loved my ATP and in comparison my V3i is a super detector. I did a lot of research and read everything I could on different detectors and settled on the V3i as an all around great detector. For $600 you cannot beat the AT PRO however once you realize how good it is you will wonder if there is another detector better.

The ATP PRO takes about 200 hours to master and by that I mean really master to it's maximum potential, I would guess my V3i will take closer to 300 hours master

So 1st do your research, next go with your gut.

Utube videos are nice but no matter how many you watch the person doing the comparison is definitely biased one way or the other on a particular detector.

I would say if you want depth the Minelab is the best deep silver and clad detector. Ok truthfully it's signal strength over 10" but the accuracy of any detector over 10" is less than 30%.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt parks and old home sites but I was just interested in knowing what others on here would do if they had the money. I'm looking at an AT Pro or F75 LTD. Lately I've been finding a lot of cool relics at the home sites and I'm kind of getting into it but I'm the type of person that if the machine goes beep, I dig it regardless if I believe it's trash. That the way I was when I was using my Brother in laws F2.
If you're going to dig everything that beeps, I'd get a PI machine....something like a White's Surfmaster. Hard to beat the depth and salt water or mineralized ground won't be a problem. Spend the money you saved for a good pin pointer, scoop, and digger.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would try a F75 ltd, Or XP deus or maybe a T2 SE With a backup detector like a eurotek pro with dd. if I did a get t2 I'd get a trx pinpointer, a sand scoop and a model 31 digger. Can't really go wrong with any choice you make in that price range

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I could find a BRAND NEW Minelab E-Trac sealed with full warranty from a 100% authorized dealer for like $1,200 .... is there any better deal available then that???

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could find a BRAND NEW Minelab E-Trac sealed with full warranty from a 100% authorized dealer for like $1,200 .... is there any better deal available then that???
No go for it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would depend on what type of hunting you plan to do. For an all-around machine, sure, an E-trac is hard to beat in that price range. If I was just a beach hunter, I would choose the Excalibur instead. If I was a nugget hunter, probably the Gold Bug or GMT. For relics, the E-trac would hold it's own but there are others that will work good too, like the F75, Deus, MXT, and the mega-buck GPX series.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's tdi not the pro 1,300 wont cover that....and i would smoke all the competition with it

lostbaja

Apr 14, 2014
Decatur, AL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax + Tesoro Bandido II uMax + Tesoro Vaquero + Tesoro Deleon + BH Tracker IV housed in a Pop Tart box
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd get a Tesoro Tejon, a Samson shovel, a good handheld digger, a cheap pinpointer, and a Killer B's Rattler headphone. I'd spend the rest on gas for my motorcycle to get me to the best spots :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions