Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a 41" Model 80LT relic shovel from Predator Tools (Lesche). Their products are really nice. Check out the new shovel, the piranha. That is supposed to be the latest and greatest. As for "aprearances", I do not take big shovels into public areas, as it does draw attention. I only use a hand digger in public places. GG and HH.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a lot really couldn't even count the model types, most recent would be garret edge digger,lesche right & left handed models,samson 18",ground shark,& now I just got 2 really well made diggers from.a guy on hear one is 32" the other is more a hand version like the raven but bigger & in my opinion better both in camo. My advice I'm 6'2 & I like the 18" & also the 32" I still.get full force I can step on them if need be but I like them not so big because when I'm on the ground I'm able to use the entire tool to get the most out of it unlike a big 50"+ I mean regardless which digger ur still gonna have to go on ur knees to retrieve the item. If there are a couple models I highly suggest go to the market place on this site look up sask hunter he has & makes himself a variety of really good diggers the steal is good welds & bends are great he also will paint it with the colors u want & or throw some wording on it to make it ur tool not just another off the shelf bit urs

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Carolina Tom, if you're worried about what people will think of your "shovel" you need to leave it at home and use a small hand digger. No point in getting kicked out of an area (or worse yet, having detecting banned altogether) because of your equipment choice.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you carried that big shovel into public places I hunt, we would be banned in short order. Learn how to pinpoint well and there is no need for a big shovel. Listen to what Cudamark said. He nailed it.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for more than forty years and I can remember 2 times that I needed more than a screwdriver
to dig a find and then I used a folding army shovel.
Learn your detector and what it is telling you. I seldom, if ever, miss a target more than an inch. If it is over 6" down,
my hole will no larger than my hand. Normally the first probe will pop a find from the ground.
I've never had a need for big plugs or diggers.
I use a screwdriver that I made from a long handle off a garden tool . The screwdriver is about 10" long with a 7" inch
hardwood handle. This part of the country has been in drought conditions for several years and the soil is way to hard
to use a digger. Even with a screwdriver the soil pops up in a clod. After I retrieve the object and place the clod back
in the hole, I turn the screwdriver around and bust the clod with the handle. Afterward, a little brushing with the hand
and the area looks completely undisturbed.
Good luck & HH

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe I will send sask hunter a pm and see what he has to offer. also may look into the lesche. And jeweler just so you know its not a pinpointing issue, its more like a comfort thing since I have had three knee surgeries. Would also like to say that since the mid 1980's I have never been asked to leave or had a complaint about my digs. I have used a sharpshooter shovel on field hunts before and it is way easier than digging with a hand digger and if done correctly it is probably better for the health of the grass since the plug is larger and more stable, wont be getting sucked up by no lawnmower. Leaves the roots more intact.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a Predator Mauler and really like it. The blade is 11.5" long. The T handle is a tad short for for the initial plug digging, but is really handy once you kneel down and dig deeper or wider. Very good quality as all Predator tools are with 5 year warranty. If you can find one of the #45 folding shovels from Predator, buy it. It works really well for digging and chopping roots. I spoke with George Lesche (founder of Predator after he sold Lesche) at DIV a few weeks ago and he said he's quitting making them because they are too aggregating and not as much profit in them.

Attachments

• image-3520026018.jpg
    image-3520026018.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2691169433.jpg
    image-2691169433.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Looking at the Sampson T handle and the lesche 28" Ground Shark. Any other suggestions or experience with these two? I want one that gets the job done but isn't overly large in appearance. Don't want people to think that I am going to be digging a foxhole!

I see way more Sampson T-handles than the ground sharks. I also know friends who have bent theirs. I did own a GS and one of it's pros is it darn near indestructable. One con though is that the curvature of the blade makes it very difficult to dig a nice 6" plug.

If you really want a small, well built shovel with the lowest profile IMO, I suggest the Sampson Mini-18". I've run this shovel for a couple of years now. It's very non threatening.

I don't feel that you should let opinions about simply using a hand digger overrule. I also lived all over Arkansas and I can't imagine that people in that state will be that judgemental. I've used the Mini here in North Texas 90% of the time and never had a single glance fron Joe Public.

You will like either the Sampson T-handle or the 18" Mini. The Mini is the lowest profile, well built shovel I've found.

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. If you haven't looked them up already, search sask hunter on this forum and look at the custom shovels he makes ....Wow they are nice :notworthy:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I can tell you where I live when people especially park officials see someone with more than a hand digging tool they will politely ask you to leave. Rarely do i ever dig a hole more than 3" in diameter and so I only use a hand Lesche.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can tell you where I live when people especially park officials see someone with more than a hand digging tool they will politely ask you to leave. Rarely do i ever dig a hole more than 3" in diameter and so I only use a hand Lesche.
Normsel, of course you don't carry a big relic shovel to a public park were talking relic digging in woods and fields, or at least I was. Parks are my least favorite place to hunt if I can help it.

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Normsel, of course you don't carry a big relic shovel to a public park were talking relic digging in woods and fields, or at least I was. Parks are my least favorite place to hunt if I can help it.

I have never hunted a public park. I mainly want a smallish type shovel to save my knees a little bit of wear and tear and also for cutting stubborn crab grass and small tree roots. I only hunt places that I have permission to hunt and dig on.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never hunted a public park. I mainly want a smallish type shovel to save my knees a little bit of wear and tear and also for cutting stubborn crab grass and small tree roots. I only hunt places that I have permission to hunt and dig on.
The Sampson T handle is the one you want then. I have the 31" handle so I don't have to kneel down quite as much as you would with the 18" version. I usually cut a 3 sided plug and with the flip of my wrist roll it out before kneeling down with pinpointer.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then why were you worried that people would think you might be "digging a fox hole"? :dontknow: If I was digging in the woods, I'd bring whatever I needed to get the job done. In a park, perception is very important. You might be the cleanest plug cutter on earth but if someone just THINKS you're a vandal, it can set a terrible series of events into motion.

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then why were you worried that people would think you might be "digging a fox hole"? :dontknow: If I was digging in the woods, I'd bring whatever I needed to get the job done. In a park, perception is very important. You might be the cleanest plug cutter on earth but if someone just THINKS you're a vandal, it can set a terrible series of events into motion.

You ever carried a full size shovel around with you for a day? Smaller is better. I have a full sized, well built sharp shooter shovel that works great, but it gets too heavy too quick.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a post hole digger and made two shovels , I gave one half to a friend, slipped a 12-13 x 14"?long all thread rod through the pivot point as a foot step, I can dig up and pry open large stones without bending over all day! Only time I bend down is to retrieval! And is great for protection if you run into trouble!
Walk as a walking stick or balance it in your hand!
I've had the same shovel for twenty years now and went through 4 handles!
It's the best tool!
If you have to have a low profile digging tool and have a good back... Then use a knife/ garden shovel.

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a post hole digger and made two shovels , I gave one half to a friend, slipped a 12-13 x 14"?long all thread rod through the pivot point as a foot step, I can dig up and pry open large stones without bending over all day! Only time I bend down is to retrieval! And is great for protection if you run into trouble!
Walk as a walking stick or balance it in your hand!
I've had the same shovel for twenty years now and went through 4 handles!
It's the best tool!
If you have to have a low profile digging tool and have a good back... Then use a knife/ garden shovel.

Nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread