What is the best way to dig through tree roots ?

CaptainClad5

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2014
West Seneca
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how heavy the roots are and how much top soil you have to remove. If it looks like its going to be a difficult retrieval I use a good steak knife and take the grass and soil off in a slab, carefully set it aside and then use the knife as a saw for roots less than 3/4 inch in diameter. Be very careful, gloves are a very good idea.
Removing small bits of root wont hurt the tree. Any soil carefully set it aside. Use your probe *I use an old screw driver* to loosen the soil and scoop it out as you work around the bigger roots. Takes time but doesn't it all :) Unfortunately if the root mass is to heavy or your just making a mess you might have to give up on the target.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out MD the other day and had a few good finds. The property had 4 very large maple trees . I had three different spots where I got a great signal . Due to the large roots I was unable to retrieve the targets. Any tips on how to cut through roots ? What are good tools for getting through them without damaging the lawn ?
I use a dry-wall saw. They're long enough and thin. They also taper down to a point. (So they can be poked through dry-wall to start the cut). You can pick them up at HomeDepot or Lowes for less than $10.00. I've used mine to cut through 3" oak roots.
Husky 6 in. Jab Saw with Scabbard-45410 at The Home Depot

Last edited:

travelerga

Sep 22, 2013
Silkhope Ga
Detector(s) used
(currently, Lobo & AT Pro) whites 6DB, 6000, Fisher 5 zx, Tesoro Bandito micromax,Sand Shark, Tejon. Garret GT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back hoe or bull dozer works for me.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
travel : Hehh hehh.... I think they want to keep the front yard not landscape it ;)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, be sure you are not detecting a mineral-rich root! Roots themselves can set off your detector!

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Backhoes and chainsaws are the best. :occasion14: But I hear ya!! I have come to the conclusion that there are targets that just can't be reached in certain areas because of tree roots. Unless real excavation type activities are allowed there with always be times they can't be reached. :BangHead:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 31" Lesche Sampson T handle is a good digging tool for rooty areas. If you're talking a root the size of your wrist though, just dig down beside it and then dig underneath root.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me it's not worth the effort unless the root is smaller than 1/4". I figure if the tree is large any coin under the roots is to hard to get to. Most coins have I found at trees are pocket drops from sitting under the tree.

I like to hunt with as few tools as possible. Meaning just a lesche and pro pointer. I know some guys wear harnesses with pouches and attach small shovels and little saws for roots etc but they become heavy very quick. At 69 years old i get tired soon enough without carrying a bunch of unneeded tools.

I hunt because i enjoy but i don't let the hunt consume me. I find enough without trying to dig every possible target such as coins under tree roots. If i go out a cpl hours a day 5 days a week I average about $100 in clad per month. In the last 21 hunts I have $86.44 in clad

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out MD the other day and had a few good finds. The property had 4 very large maple trees . I had three different spots where I got a great signal . Due to the large roots I was unable to retrieve the targets. Any tips on how to cut through roots ? What are good tools for getting through them without damaging the lawn ?
Get a Cable saw that has diamond dust in the cable.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Im in somebodys yard, or any other location that has some aesthetic value, I try to get around the roots best I can without cutting any. I would certainly hate to have Mr/Mrs homeowner creep up on me to check my progress and Im in the process of cutting their River Birch down from the roots. However..deep woods..nobody around...and its a "go" signal, I use my Lesche with the serrated edge, and if I cant get though it, I go around it. ddf

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, be sure you are not detecting a mineral-rich root! Roots themselves can set off your detector!
.. Terry is right about Roots making your detector sound off.. and all that is there is tree roots…..BUT the best tool i have found for roots is this land scape trowel from .. AM Leonard 4750.jpg This digger is heavier and stronger than any digger i have ever owned it cuts through roots like they were hot butter… www.amleo.com USA made right here in OHIO

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread