Upstate South Carolina areas?

Wilton_Kayne

Apr 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done research and found accessible areas in Upstate South Carolina, but advice or information from any veteran detectorist in the area would be greatly appreciated. I understand that each person must work to achieve the rights to detect in certain areas and I fully agree, but it is often easy to overlook potential hotspots, being that there are endless possibilities. I am aware of the norm of schools and parks but how about potential areas near battlefields that are still publicly accessible, yet not widespread public knowledge. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am still very new to the forum but I am very impressed at the information, posts, and great finds that I see each day.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have done research and found accessible areas in Upstate South Carolina, but advice or information from any veteran detectorist in the area would be greatly appreciated. I understand that each person must work to achieve the rights to detect in certain areas and I fully agree, but it is often easy to overlook potential hotspots, being that there are endless possibilities. I am aware of the norm of schools and parks but how about potential areas near battlefields that are still publicly accessible, yet not widespread public knowledge. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am still very new to the forum but I am very impressed at the information, posts, and great finds that I see each day.

If these potential hotspots on public land do not have "widespread public knowledge", then all the more reason to not ask any more silly questions, and go hunt them ! Those are, by definition, the spots you WANT to hit, and by definition the LEAST scrutinized (by any legal verbage which might be applied to us). Because if they are obscure and not easily researched out, then they are not obvious historic sensitive landmarks.

There's spots of those two variations of difference here in CA, for example: a) obvious historic landmarks, that .... yes.... someone's gonna get their feathers ruffled if yahoos are out there detecting and digging. Or b) non-obvious spots, that didn't get a lot of "press", yet still are old spots. Like stage stops that fizzled at the coming of the age of automobiles and RR's, etc..., yet only have passing references, no historic plaques, etc....

But the size, scope, and age of (a) and (b) above, might be exactly identical. It just happened that one got into glossy coffee table history books, for some odd-reason-of-fate, while the other didn't. Those that aren't easily researched out (yet are every bit as old and trafficked) are amongst the best. Because they're less likely to have been hit/found by other md'rs (who didn't sleuth as deeply), and because they're easier to access (as no one's likely to care).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread