Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually hunt alone to avoid the problems that come with trying to share finds. One friend of mine is always asking me to go but he wants a you find he gets half and he finds you get half. I find that not possible. What if you find a $500 dollar coin. Should you have to pay $250 to your friend just to keep your own find? Also a person that is scared he can't find anything would want to have a split rule because he knows there's a good chance the other guy will. I have a finders keepers rule if I go out with another person to keep it simple. But I know that doesn't solve the possibility of jealousy on the other end. I personally would be happy for the other person getting a good find. Now to open another can of worms what made me start this thread is sharing finds with the property owner. A man I know said I could hunt his land so I finally stopped by to give it a go. All of a sudden he slipped on his boots and said he would come and check out how this detecting works. After a hour I said I got to go because he claimed every find I made as his own and now wants to get a metal detector. He said I can come back to hunt but he will "hold" on to all the stuff we find. It's his land and I didn't know what to say so I gave up the stuff. My question to everyone is how do you handle the question of sharing finds and how do you handle finding things with a property owner? I know I can go hunt there while he's working but then do you pocket the stuff or tell/show him and know your going to hand the finds over? It's a amazing good looking spot or I wouldn't even think of going back!

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, finders keepers. Would never consider splitting finds. That seems silly to me. I amalways happy for whoever finds something good. (Maybe a little jealous too! :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First part is easy, you never split, and you stated most of the reasons why. We're not doing this for a job, so people like your friend have to get that through their thick skull.

As for the landowner I would hunt when he wasn't there to bug me, and show him everything I found except if there was something I really liked. Then if he did the same thing and kept it all, of well... I got what I wanted.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First part is easy, you never split, and you stated most of the reasons why. We're not doing this for a job, so people like your friend have to get that through their thick skull. As for the landowner I would hunt when he wasn't there to bug me, and show him everything I found except if there was something I really liked. Then if he did the same thing and kept it all, of well... I got what I wanted.
That was kinda my plan to go when he was working and once in awhile with him around to keep good relations. :) At least I didn't pull a old silver or my first gold coin out and watch it go in his pocket. If I'm with him I may have to skip a good hit and get it later when he's not in sight. Haha

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Splitting finds with person you are hunting with: This just sounds stupid. If I'm hunting with a trusted friend and find something that he collects (say an old bottle or relic), I wouldn't think twice about giving it to him. Someone who acts like this and wants you to give them what you find sounds like a greedy leech, I would never hunt with someone like that. Most people outgrow that kind of thinking when they are in elementary school (IE: A child thinks that it is UNFAIR that he only received 5 jelly beans and another kid got 7). I keep everything that I find, unless I want to GIVE it away as a gift.

Landowner wanting to keep finds: While they are legally entitled to anything on THEIR property, if somebody did this to me I would stop detecting, pack up and never come back. If they want everything out of their yard, then let them spend $$$$ on detecting equipment, spend countless hours learning how to efficiently use the detector, carefully dig the plugs, and retrieve the targets. If I personally like the landowner or if they are a good friend and I found some good things in their yard, I would not hesitate to give them something as a "thank you" gesture. I don't mind helping someone out to retrieve lost jewelry or a metal object either. A landowner wanting you to hand over everything is more or less taking advantage and using you.

Just pocketing the stuff sounds shady. Find a better place to hunt, this type of person of not worth the hassle, they will merely waste your time and batteries.

So far I have (luckily) never encounter either one of these scenarios.

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to me is that I was detecting in a park here in Taiwan and dug only trash then an old man walked by and told me in one specific area of the park there had been a shrine and people used to bring offering in form of coins, We went there and I dug up some huge old qing dynasty coins (about 9) and I felt I owed the man because I would have never found that area without his advice so I gave him 3 of my coins they were so dirty I didnt know which ones were silver because I saw one was silver, tried to give him the non-silver ones hehehe (I know its a bit mean) but then other bystanders came by and all wanted a coin I just couldn`t say no, I am a foreigner in Taiwan did not want them to feel I am steeling from their culture, so I ended up giving away 8 coins (tried to give the bent ones and the dirtiest ones =have fun cleaning hahah) then I said I had to go, waited till dark, came back and dug out 10 more muahaha.

full story and pictures here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...mple-cache-silver-coin-taiwan-today-pics.html

Now the problem is I used a Tesoro Vaquero which is decently deep but I know there must be more down there, that my detector can not reach maybe and now next month A friend is going to visit me from Hong Kong with his CTX3030 (= Vaquero price x5), should I tell him about the site or not? If yes, should I ask him to split with me or at least share something with me or not? IN the end I know the site location and he would never find that special spot without me, on the other hand he invested in a 25hundred dollar machine...

Any Ideas?

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What happened to me is that I was detecting in a park here in Taiwan and dug only trash then an old man walked by and told me in one specific area of the park there had been a shrine and people used to bring offering in form of coins, We went there and I dug up some huge old qing dynasty coins (about 9) and I felt I owed the man because I would have never found that area without his advice so I gave him 3 of my coins they were so dirty I didnt know which ones were silver because I saw one was silver, tried to give him the non-silver ones hehehe (I know its a bit mean) but then other bystanders came by and all wanted a coin I just couldn`t say no, I am a foreigner in Taiwan did not want them to feel I am steeling from their culture, so I ended up giving away 8 coins (tried to give the bent ones and the dirtiest ones =have fun cleaning hahah) then I said I had to go, waited till dark, came back and dug out 10 more muahaha. full story and pictures here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/410794-found-chinese-temple-cache-silver-coin-taiwan-today-pics.html Now the problem is I used a Tesoro Vaquero which is decently deep but I know there must be more down there, that my detector can not reach maybe and now next month A friend is going to visit me from Hong Kong with his CTX3030 (= Vaquero price x5), should I tell him about the site or not? If yes, should I ask him to split with me or at least share something with me or not? IN the end I know the site location and he would never find that special spot without me, on the other hand he invested in a 25hundred dollar machine... Any Ideas?
Maybe try to dig a few inches of soil off the top and run your machine over it again. I can't see them being to deep down. If no luck than get your friend involved for a try.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with a friend and we split reward money from return finds at the beach. We do that so were not competing against each other when someone asks us to try to find something they have lost...we look for it as a team...we don't split randomly found stuff...I think the returns and splitting the reward is the most fun and memorable thing we do while detecting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened to me is that I was detecting in a park here in Taiwan and dug only trash then an old man walked by and told me in one specific area of the park there had been a shrine and people used to bring offering in form of coins, We went there and I dug up some huge old qing dynasty coins (about 9) and I felt I owed the man because I would have never found that area without his advice so I gave him 3 of my coins they were so dirty I didnt know which ones were silver because I saw one was silver, tried to give him the non-silver ones hehehe (I know its a bit mean) but then other bystanders came by and all wanted a coin I just couldn`t say no, I am a foreigner in Taiwan did not want them to feel I am steeling from their culture, so I ended up giving away 8 coins (tried to give the bent ones and the dirtiest ones =have fun cleaning hahah) then I said I had to go, waited till dark, came back and dug out 10 more muahaha.

full story and pictures here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...mple-cache-silver-coin-taiwan-today-pics.html

Now the problem is I used a Tesoro Vaquero which is decently deep but I know there must be more down there, that my detector can not reach maybe and now next month A friend is going to visit me from Hong Kong with his CTX3030 (= Vaquero price x5), should I tell him about the site or not? If yes, should I ask him to split with me or at least share something with me or not? IN the end I know the site location and he would never find that special spot without me, on the other hand he invested in a 25hundred dollar machine...

Any Ideas?
I would go back and hunt the area until my machine can't find another target. After that, my friends would be welcome to keep anything they can find with THEIR machine. If it's an area you've both researched together, it's everyone for themself....no splits.....you keep what you find.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
They do things differently in Canada... apparently. However, if you want to go hunting with me, I will be glad to honor your "Canadian rules" and take half of your stuff!!!! I have never heard of splitting the booty. My friends make fun of me, when they find something good, and I return the favor when I find something good. It is never a stated competition... however, everyone knows that the guy with the most stuff wins.
As for the guy that wants to keep all your finds. I don't know what to say about that... I would go when he is not around.
Good luck!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted with an older gentleman on a site he had. In his day he collected a lot of relics with his old machine. We went and he took a new guy I did not know. He was a very non interested newbie. ( I hunt alone 99% of the time). Got to the site and he said right off the bat that we will split all the finds equal. I had never heard of anything like that before. So I was like… ok.. Off we go in different directions. I picked up a 3 ringer here and there and a couple of fired enfields At the end of the day neither one had dug anything except some iron nails :tongue3: Long story short I gave them all the bullets and that was the last hunt we ever did together. To weird for me.
I sometimes share with the landowner if they are interested enough to make a little display. Most places just run and gun. If the landowner wants all the relics he can get a machine and dig them himself. I am hunting elsewhere. Work to hard digging and filling holes to give up my treasure.
Its like when the farmer asked if you found any arrowheads. I always smile and say just a few.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never had time to go back to the property yet but I will. It's too good of a spot to pass up. I'm just going to have to be more ruthless if he's around and if I get a perfect hit I will walk right by and get it later when I get the chance alone. He did say I could go on the land while he's not there but seems he almost always is. I may dig some iffy signals if he's with me and if I dig a unimportant relic or something gladly give it too him to keep him happy and wanting me on his property.
As for the "friend" with wanting the split the finds thing he found a pocket spill of five 1950's silver coins when he went out alone somewhere the other day so he's on cloud nine and thinks he's a pro all of a sudden. He'll probably want the finders keepers rule now. Thank god! Haha

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd never share my finds, wouldn't expect my hunting buddy's to do so either. If some newbie said thay to me I'd tell him to hunt sone where else.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the "friend" with wanting the split the finds thing he found a pocket spill of five 1950's silver coins when he went out alone somewhere the other day so he's on cloud nine and thinks he's a pro all of a sudden. He'll probably want the finders keepers rule now. Thank god! Haha

There you go. To solve this problem in the future all you have to do is make sure the person has a few great days, and you not so much, and then you say it doesn't really seem fair you are taking half his finds. He agrees, and problem solved!

I do have to add that is definitely not me though.... I'd tell someone in a matter of seconds I don't want what they find, and I sure as heck am not slicing and dicing my digs.

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about splitting hairs :)

Take the case in point with the property owner. Seems like a written agreement might be useful. This may kill the deal with your detecting his property but it would set things into perspective with the owner that you are not there to work for him. If you don't feel comfortable with the idea of a written agreement then you might as well resign yourself to working for him and taking enjoyment out of having found his property for him. Maybe ask him for a reward. Who knows. Most sharing agreements I've had have been verbal~ and worked out well. The couple I've done in writing did not turn out so well but at least there was no heart ache in it when I left the site for good.

Now as to splitting the hair. Said owner likes to be what I consider a pest and a mooch. Well there is no reason why I wont dig up every bit of junk and give it to them. Good targets can be dug when the pest gets bored and goes away. After that everything goes in the pouch and if its good in the sock. This is a bit underhanded, sure, however the one not obligating the agreement on finds, said mooch, can get the trash and clad for their "efforts". Just have to be willing to lie is all and be sure said pest never gets wind of what really came out of the ground. To be sure using such a tactic will sour the deal. Read my signature..... its quite true "Every one" believes they have gold buried in their yard... and that everyone will also expect your lie'n to them about your finds honest or not.

As to partners. Well go with your heart. You'll know if or when the deal is bad quick enough. If your good friends you can work it out otherwise expect to ditch said partner should there be gold buried in your backyard. Nuff said.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can always do what I do carry an extra pill bottle with a few wheaties and clad. Then say here u go split this, while u have the good stuff in a separate container.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunt with friends, it's ALWAYS a competition, albeit a friendly one. We all covet the title of L.B. (Lucky Bast**d) It was always our goal to keep the title from hunt to hunt. Anyone that joined us played by the same rules or weren't welcome. We kept every thing we found....no splits. The only exception to that rule was when we were trying to find a particular lost item for someone or if we had an agreement with a landowner to gain permission to hunt their property. Sometimes we had a written contract (always when looking for a cache), sometimes a handshake. Either way, we lived by the letter of the agreement. All finds were presented at the end of the hunt and split according to what was agreed upon. Either your word is worth something or it isn't. Ours seemed to open more doors for detecting when the word got around that we will do as we say. Most land owners don't ask for a split but some do. If we didn't get at least 50% we thanked them but passed on the deal. Sooner or later, someone else will own that property and we'll try again. Naturally, we'd return any lost item that the landowner had told us about up front. That would be separate from any of the other finds.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the same 4 people and we split finds on this basis and have been doing this for about 5 years. It works out nicely as it seems we all have a passion for finding new locations so we are always looking. We decided on splitting because when we grid an area we know there is going to be a desirable place that everyone wants. Also we have a person scan the area with a two box and this almost always ends up with ziltch. So we split everything we find as a team.

We sell all Junk - Gold, Silver and Platinum Jewelry about every 6 months and if someone wants a piece they just buy it at what ever it was worth as scrap. We also cover drivers gas and food out of this money.

As far as coins we put these into a safety deposit box and have a pot luck dinner in December and we divide the coins at this time. The choosing of the coins rotates on who goes first. If there is one coin that is so much more valuable then the others we may group coins into lots to make the draw a little more even. Someone usually ends up getting the better, and this person then goes to the end of next years draft. We also sell all coins worth more then 2 thousand dollars and split the cash (unless we find multiples and then we split them up Though this has not occurred yet)

Gold nuggets we do not split, we do split tailings if we find any. We put them in a bucket and wait till we have enough to grind and then split the dust.

We also return a coin or two to all the land owners who let us use their property

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread