Whites new pinpointer

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I searched to see if there was a thread already started about this, but didn't find anything.

It looks like Whites finally came out with a better pinpointer to compete with the Pro-Pointer. Is there any input from those who have decided to give it a try? The Pro-Pointer is such a good one, I'm curious how it's being received.

Anyone have an opinion on it yet? :)

Or, the link to another thread if I missed it?

Upvote 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the new white's as well as the minelab and garetts. I like the white's best. It's the deepest and the ratchet feature is really handy. I also like the fact that it runs on 2 aa's or 1 9 volt. The aa"s are handy because that what my detectors use.

Tim-MXT

Mar 9, 2014
Beaverton/Hillsboro Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's V3I, White's TRX Pinpointer, Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the TRX and love it. I can't compare it to the Garrett since I never used one. I like the adjustability of it. You can change from short 1 inch detection to 4+ inches just by holding the button. I'm finding I like it set on 2, sometimes 3 if the areas is not too trashy. The ground grab works very well also.

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Garrett, it's one year old, and I'm experiencing problems. I need to say, I take VERY good care of my equipment! In it's first year, I began to experience falsing. If I let it sit on the ground to long, it would begin to chirp. Now, the speaker volume has diminished. If I bump it, it turns off. If I bump it again, it turns on. Overall, it does a good job. It's accurate, it's sensitive, battery life is great. However, I question the build quality. I need to replace it. I don't think I'll buy another.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Garrett, it's one year old, and I'm experiencing problems. I need to say, I take VERY good care of my equipment! In it's first year, I began to experience falsing. If I let it sit on the ground to long, it would begin to chirp. Now, the speaker volume has diminished. If I bump it, it turns off. If I bump it again, it turns on. Overall, it does a good job. It's accurate, it's sensitive, battery life is great. However, I question the build quality. I need to replace it. I don't think I'll buy another.

Not trying to hijack this Thread but maybe the battery contacts are corroded, have become weak or too spread to make good contact. Clean the contacts and if not making good contact with the batteries, trying stretching the the springs (if it has springs, as I never have used one and don't know) or try bending the contacts outward (if that is what it has) to make better contact with the batteries. You might also open up the Pointer and clean the contacts inside and electronic board with a good cleaner for such or alcohol. If corrosion has spread across to solder points on an electronic board, this can cause a short or drain of signal and power.

Frank

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My contacts are pretty clean, can't hurt to take a closer look. I was using quality NiMh, and switched to fresh alkalines, with the same quirky results. Corrosion is probably the cause. Because of the on/off issue, I think its on the switch and/or the circuit board.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems like these threads asking about the new Whites pin pointer end up talking about how to repair the old Garrett unit.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems like these threads asking about the new Whites pin pointer end up talking about how to repair the old Garrett unit.

Well that because everyone spent $130 on a Garrett and they want it to last for years.. but it didn't... I can understand wanting to fix the broken one.. All the broken talk is good, makes up the minds of those who are new to the hobby and wanting to know which to buy..

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the new white's as well as the minelab and garetts. I like the white's best. It's the deepest and the ratchet feature is really handy. I also like the fact that it runs on 2 aa's or 1 9 volt. The aa"s are handy because that what my detectors use.

Thats pretty strange it can run on 3 or 9 volts. Wonder if it makes a big deal in detection depth depending what batteries you use?

Tim-MXT

Mar 9, 2014
Beaverton/Hillsboro Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's V3I, White's TRX Pinpointer, Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TRX is still pretty new so we don't know if it will develop the same issues as the Garrett.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty strange it can run on 3 or 9 volts. Wonder if it makes a big deal in detection depth depending what batteries you use?

NO, it makes no difference. Most components are rated at 18v or greater.. but typically circuits are designed to reduce current and voltage with a regulators or other limiting means..So if the unit designed to run at 2 or 3 volts, that is what it runs on, no matter if it sent 3 volts for 9 volts and works the same in both cases. The neat thing is they found a way to put either battery in the same spot without needing double the room or having an extra connector.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had been using the GPP for two years and really liked it. I got a TRX a couple of weeks ago. At first, I wasn't sure it was going to work out - it was picking up a bench vice at 20+ inches in air tests. I had similar doubts on my first hunt. It was taking longer to retrieve the target and I was having trouble figuring out how to use it.

I retread the instruction manual and that made all the difference. Once you learn about the ratchet feature you won't want to go back. I think with the added depth and features, Whites has got something really special in the TRX. I won't be going back to the Garret.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, I like the vibrate only mode too. That's a great option.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had been using the GPP for two years and really liked it. I got a TRX a couple of weeks ago. At first, I wasn't sure it was going to work out - it was picking up a bench vice at 20+ inches in air tests. I had similar doubts on my first hunt. It was taking longer to retrieve the target and I was having trouble figuring out how to use it.

I retread the instruction manual and that made all the difference. Once you learn about the ratchet feature you won't want to go back. I think with the added depth and features, Whites has got something really special in the TRX. I won't be going back to the Garret.

I have used my TRX for about a month now too, Works great. You know you can adjust the sensitivity? I use mine on level 3, otherwise it is too sensitive. There are vids on You Tube about how to adjust it.

Not real clear on what the ratchet feature is? Does that just mean it vibrates more, and sounds louder, the closer you are to a target? The instructions are vague on this feature.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my TRX for about a month now too, Works great. You know you can adjust the sensitivity? I use mine on level 3, otherwise it is too sensitive. There are vids on You Tube about how to adjust it.

Not real clear on what the ratchet feature is? Does that just mean it vibrates more, and sounds louder, the closer you are to a target? The instructions are vague on this feature.

Ratcheting is like detuning.. When the TRX is screeming and you can not pin point the exact location hit the button. It becomes less sensitive and you can then find the exact spot. Each hit when it is sounding on a target makes it less sensitive. If you were to close to the target and made it to non sensitive to respond at all, point it up away from the target and hit the button again.. it is not back to full sensitivity.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with a little reading and investigation on YouTube it sounds like one of, if not the best options out there. I have been using the VibraProbe for a couple of years and like the rugged waterproof features. I do the majority of my hunting away from people when possible but not always an option. The sound of most pinpointers is like ringing the dinner bell for onlookers thus my choice for a vibrate only pinpointer, but it lacks the depth of the commonly used ones today. Sounds like this one may be the "BOY DOG" of the pack as it seems to excel in all categories.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with a little reading and investigation on YouTube it sounds like one of, if not the best options out there. I have been using the VibraProbe for a couple of years and like the rugged waterproof features. I do the majority of my hunting away from people when possible but not always an option. The sound of most pinpointers is like ringing the dinner bell for onlookers thus my choice for a vibrate only pinpointer, but it lacks the depth of the commonly used ones today. Sounds like this one may be the "BOY DOG" of the pack as it seems to excel in all categories.
It is not sold as water proof but it is. Not in that you can use it for under water hunting but if you stick it in a bucket (drop it in the creek) it will float and even held under in the buck it will not leak. You can prove this to yourself without danger by removing the screw cap and battery, then Blowing into the device sealing it against your face.. It will not leak air and it will hold a vacuum as well if you suck all the air out.. The cap has an o-ring and the speaker is a solid state device on the board, with a membrane (assume gortex) sealing the opening. While you have it open, take out the screw and slide out the board and revel at the very slick design!

Last edited:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ratcheting is like detuning.. When the TRX is screeming and you can not pin point the exact location hit the button. It becomes less sensitive and you can then find the exact spot. Each hit when it is sounding on a target makes it less sensitive. If you were to close to the target and made it to non sensitive to respond at all, point it up away from the target and hit the button again.. it is not back to full sensitivity.

Thanks for the explanation!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions