Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could go on the internet and look this up, but asking you guys is far easier. And, I'll get better info in less time.

How do old coins, pre 1900, ring up? Are buffalo nickels and V nickels made the same as a modern nickel? Are Large cents, III cents, etc, made of copper? If so, are they the same composition?

The late 1800's, early 1900' saw a huge variety of coinage. From a detecting prospective, how do they compare, and which are the odd balls?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of different make-ups in coin metals depending on denomination and year. You'll have to look up the specific coin in question to find out exactly what it's made of. Generally, all the 1/2 cents and large cents are 100% copper. Except for the 3 cent silver, just about everything else (except nickels) up through 1964 was on or about 90% silver 10% copper. Most nickels were 75% copper 25% nickel including the 3 cent'er. The small cents have a variety of alloys depending on the year. You add depth and time spent in the ground buried and you can get all different readings on a detector....even for the same type coin.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice link, thanks! I have found a very expansive area, open to detecting. I haven't found any coins yet, but several very old relics, including an Indian artifact. It's a matter of time before I find a coin or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread