Gold test kit

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking into getting a gold test kit for the several hundred pounds of gold I plan on finding this summer and was wondering if any of you had any recommendations. I did a little poking around on the net and like I thought the prices varied quite a bit. Is this something that is beneficial to spend some decent money on or can you get away with spending 20 bucks? Thanks.

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a Mizar Electronic Gold test kit for a couple of years. You don't need to scratch your item with it to test. You just clip it to the unit and dip it in a provided solution. The light then tells you what karat gold it is. If it doesn't light, it's not gold. I've tested every piece I've found and it has been correct.

Bucketfreak317

Feb 3, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305 Whites BH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't pretend to know all there is about testing gold but this is or was my experience when I was a preteen my mother owned a tee shirt printing shop from the late 1970's to the early 1980's when screen printing became the popular rage,we had a relative who along with his brother got into buying gold silver and precious metals to sell at weight to smelter companies.
And we used if I remember right sulfuric and muiratic acids in old square glass bottles they had a round shaped glass applicator molded into the cap back then we didn't do what most people do today we just scratched the ring or what have you and applied the acid to the point that we scratched.
Its common today to use a stone rub what ever your going to test on that stone apply the acid to the streak on the stone I believe there's like two or three types of acid used and witch ever causes the gold to disappear will tell you the carrot rating of the gold.
Now back when I was doing it if it turned green you knew it wasn't gold.
To give the best answer I know it looks as if the test kit you can get in most places including Ebay are typical of what you will find used at pawn shops etc I don't believe their all that much either I can't tell rather or not the stone they use for testing is special or if their just sharpening stones but I do believe those are included in the kit anyway I think these kits range form like the $20.00 to $32.00 dollar price range so their not that expensive.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info! This is just the type of thing I could see being handy with my new hobby. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions