Recommend my first MD.

T

thayguyjeff

My first post here, just found this forum after googling treasure hunting.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a MD. I've never used one. My goal is just to get involved in a hobby that gets me outdoors more often. Metal detecting sounds interesting.'

But I have no idea on what to buy. Since I would be new to this, I wouldn't want to invest too much $ on something that I'm only going to do a couple times.

At the same time, I don't want something so basic that I'll immediately want to upgrade either. Is $300 a decent price range?

I would also like to know what sort of features are the "must have" vs. those that are luxury features.

Help a noob out, let me know what you think.

Upvote 0

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Jeff, First off, Welcome to the Net! Secondly, to answer you're question, Check out the Garrett Ace 250 Metal Detector! For $200 or so, It can't be beat! I have one & really enjoy using it! It's perfect for a Newby! Another thing, tell us where you live! Perhaps a TNer lives close by! I think the reason a lot of MDers quit the hobby, is because they get tired of hunting alone! Give it a chance, Jeff, you won't regret it!
By the way, TN Member TonyinCT will give you a great deal on a Ace 250!

HH Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby and forum. Tony's web address is http://www.tcmetaldetectors.com/ The Garrett ACE 250 is a very food detector to start out with. It has a LCD screen that shows what the probable target is and how deep. You can read the field tests about it on the Garrett web site. Tony will give you a very food deal. Read all you can about the metal detecting hobby as you can never have to much knowledge. Remember, your not in it for the money, just the fun. It's fun to find money.

Sandman

mikesand

Feb 5, 2007
SE bucks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
BH Lonestar/ BH Pinpointer
Teknetics Liberator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try the ace 250. i am kicking myself for not waiting to save up more$$$, after reading about the rave reviews from all the members.
HH
mike

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
250 indeed, plus use the extra money for a pinpionter ( its a smaller metal detector that you can use to find exactly were the coin is in the hole)

HH
-GC

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Welcome!!!

I have owned literally dozens of detectors from various makers, and I would also agree that the ace 250 is THE best starter machine for newbies as well as an all around utility machine for any experience level. I had an older Freedom Ace, and it was a great machine, very user friendly. The ace line has been around for a long time and upgrades have only made it better. Any bugs in the line were removed a long time ago.

Jump in and enjoy this great hobby!!

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread