Im about to give up on my large cent...what do you guys think?

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm about to give up on my large cent...what do you guys think?

I've tried dry picking on this coin and that just wasn't happening. So then came numerous baths in hot hydrogen peroxide to no avail. Then a several day bath in olive oil. Then came an experiment with lemon juice and baking soda. Then powdered lye in water bath. Finally, I tried Arm & Hammer Super Duty Detergent in boiling water inside an aluminum lined glass dish. This last method produced the best results, but I'm not sure anymore crud is coming off. Any suggestions or should I be satisfied with the current condition? Also, any ideas on a date? I've been studying photos and I believe she's from the last edition of the large cent. I'm going off her mostly straight jaw line, and pointed crown.

Some before and afters:

IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0242.JPG

Upvote 0

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hear ya! That's one toasted LC if I do say so. I found a 2 cent coin today full of green crud-can't read date. Tried the boiling
peroxide, then boiling vinegar, scotch brite, fine brass wirebrush, working down the crud layer, but plenty left.
If I had electrolysis right now I'd try it. How about comet on wet scotchbrite? I think your LC will have serious pitting but I still see some green that has to come off. Don't give up yet!

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is toast sorry man. The details on the coin became the crud on the outside so if you take it off it's gonna leave a featureless, pitted surface underneath.

OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya! That's one toasted LC if I do say so. I found a 2 cent coin today full of green crud-can't read date. Tried the boiling
peroxide, then boiling vinegar, scotch brite, fine brass wirebrush, working down the crud layer, but plenty left.
If I had electrolysis right now I'd try it. How about comet on wet scotchbrite? I think your LC will have serious pitting but I still see some green that has to come off. Don't give up yet!

Yeah, the boiling peroxide might work for recent wheats, but it did nothing for this coin.

I didn't try vineagar or Scotchbrite pads. Hmmm....

OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is toast sorry man. The details on the coin became the crud on the outside so if you take it off it's gonna leave a featureless, pitted surface underneath.

Yeah, she's pretty toasty. I don't know about anymore detail coming out though. If you look on the first pics (on the napkin) you can't make out any detail. In the after pics though, I can make out her face.

Hopefully someone who has had to deal with a coin in similar condition can chime in. I'm just tired of trying methods that don't work. Seems like I'm chasing my tail here.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quote Try electrolysis. A Few posts Up by fella Sorry the link I posted was wrong and I DELETED IT

I'm thinking of it on a couple of no date Coins!! Chug one a V nickel And the Other A Wheat Penny

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the olive oil bath, but a little longer, perhaps a week-or two. Yes it is toasty but there is still some detail and I have seen much worse. What you got to lose!? Plop'er back down in the old EVOO and let'er soak for a while. Let us know if you have any luck..thx..ddf

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I soaked one like that for 1 year in Olive oil and hit it with a soft brass brush and it helped.

WhoDey

Mar 23, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites MX5
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are jewelry cleaners that vibrate the water really fast. Wonder if something like that would be good to invest in to clean coins.

OP
OP
Juice in the hole

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are jewelry cleaners that vibrate the water really fast. Wonder if something like that would be good to invest in to clean coins.

Ultrasonic? Yeah, I've wondered the same. Seems that would be the most gentle solution. If it works is the question.

I'm also an avid shooter and I know many of the guys I talk with online use the ultrasonic to clean gun parts.

floydsorenson

Greenie
Apr 16, 2014
Works on all kinds of metal don't see why it won't clean a penny I've never tried ultra sonic but I bet it will help

WhoDey

Mar 23, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites MX5
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ultrasonic? Yeah, I've wondered the same. Seems that would be the most gentle solution. If it works is the question. I'm also an avid shooter and I know many of the guys I talk with online use the ultrasonic to clean gun parts.
worth a shot. Heck now I might go get one haha. I've had 2 tokens bathing in olive oil for 3 weeks now

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have access to a sandblaster (fine) at work-gonna test it used lightly on a nasty wheat if it works ok will consider something else cruddy but rarer.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine soaking in olive oil for years, not helping. So I guess you and I will just have to go out and find ourselves another LC with a readable date!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread