lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have my first MD, a few Q's.

Hi everyone, after all your help I decided to purchase the Garrett AT pro. LOVE IT! It has been so exciting. A picture of what I found my first 3 times in my front yard. With that I have a few new-b questions.

#1. If I get a good tone (#70) or so but not a constant ding, I make a 4" round plug, pop over the grass and dig a bit. Then I MD the grass I dug up and the hole, suddenly there is No tone. WHY? If its a good tone that comes and goes do I dig?

#2. When the MD tells me it is down 6", I dig 6". Scan again and it says 2" down. Is it measuring from the bottom of the hole? Do I dig 2" more?

Thank you for your help! More to come i'm sure! :hello:

Attachments

• 20140420_140723.jpg
    20140420_140723.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone, after all your help I decided to purchase the Garrett AT pro. LOVE IT! It has been so exciting. A picture of what I found my first 3 times in my front yard. With that I have a few new-b questions. #1. If I get a good tone (#70) or so but not a constant ding, I make a 4" round plug, pop over the grass and dig a bit. Then I MD the grass I dug up and the hole, suddenly there is No tone. WHY? If its a good tone that comes and goes do I dig? #2. When the MD tells me it is down 6", I dig 6". Scan again and it says 2" down. Is it measuring from the bottom of the hole? Do I dig 2" more? Thank you for your help! More to come i'm sure! :hello:

Hi Lea. I started detecting last year and have an AT pro also. I just got out for the first time this year recently and found I had to relearn a few things. (Like not wearing my steel toe boots. Lol) Your first question I can't answer but it happens to me sometimes also. Good signal, dig plug and signal gone. Don't know. I don't really think the depth indication is very accurate. If it says two inches then the target should be shallow or on the surface. If it says 6 inches, I'm much less confident. I try to keep the coil level and consistent, which should help but still all I really use the depth reading for is shallow or deeper. If you don't have a pinpointer you should get one. Helps a lot.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) You are looking for consistent repeatable signals with solid tones. If your VDI fluctuates by a couple of numbers, fine but if you get jumpy VDI and/or broken tones, forget it and move on!

2) Depth reading tip for your AT Pro…lift your coil several inches over the target, push the pinpoint button and then lower the coil straight down on where the target is. Readings become pretty accurate!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, after all your help I decided to purchase the Garrett AT pro. LOVE IT! It has been so exciting. A picture of what I found my first 3 times in my front yard. With that I have a few new-b questions.

#1. If I get a good tone (#70) or so but not a constant ding, I make a 4" round plug, pop over the grass and dig a bit. Then I MD the grass I dug up and the hole, suddenly there is No tone. WHY? If its a good tone that comes and goes do I dig?

#2. When the MD tells me it is down 6", I dig 6". Scan again and it says 2" down. Is it measuring from the bottom of the hole? Do I dig 2" more?

Thank you for your help! More to come i'm sure! :hello:

#1 Disappearing target: Most likely cause is the Halo Effect. Complete explanation here: Halo Effect
#2 Not sure what you mean.. could be you are not pin pointing correctly.. A pinpointer is what you need to make thing go faster and more smoothly. Whites TRX is the one to buy!
How to Pinpoint with different types of coils: Pinpoint Targets (Pages 13-17)

Last edited:
OP
OP
lovelylea

lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, I have spent allot of time looking in the dirt. I think a pinpointer is a great idea! Also the Halo effect site explained allot. Thank you Airscapes

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X2 on the halo effect. If you get a target that disappears on you, dig down another 2-3 inches. If you've pin pointed accurately, it should now be in your dirt pile.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lea one thing to remember is to try and cut your plug straight down and not at an angle because if your dirt on your plug is angled your readings for depth when time to dig may be off.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After you learn your ATP you won't even look at the VDi you will dig by tone and you will be able to tell by tone whether it's worth digging. Sometimes you will a scratchy sound along with a good tone and that could indicate a tab or something else in the same hole.

You detector always gives you depth from the bottom of the coil. So when it said 2" the coin or whatever may have been in your plug or right next to where you just dug. Sometimes even when you pin point the object isn't dead center on your coil. Many time it's up to 4" off center.

OP
OP
lovelylea

lovelylea

Oct 3, 2011
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that problem with using the pin pointer on the MD. I would find the "Object" not where it was said to be. Other times spot on. That would be a good reason to have the hand Pinpoiner.
Yesterday I got a scratchy higher tone, but it was over a 7" area. So I dug, it was a squashed soda can. I read somewhere that when something is at a angle it will bounce sounds. Thinking that is why it was such a wide area of dings. I re-checked and no other tones after i pulled the can.
Holy bugs at the beach, does anyone know if the bug bracelets work? Or should I just use plain old bug spray?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto Gary's comment. Also coins and other flat targets on a vertical angle will detect off to one side (left or right depending on the direction of the angle) of the center of the DD coil, which is what the ATP has.
So pie slicing around the signal helps as well as using the pinpoint function. A good target on angle will generally stay near center when pie slicing and generally the movement goes unnoticed.
Iron is very apparent when pie slicing.

You can air test a coin while holding it at a 45deg angle to observe the effect.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread