Clad or can tabs? That is the question.

Wilton_Kayne

Apr 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am still new to metal detecting but I am hooked. In the future I intend to do like anyone trying progress in a hobby, buy better equipment. My 401k idea like most, is to save all of my clad towards this effort. As for another possible saving opportunity, how about can tabs? I've heard that a gallon of the little turds are worth a significant amount and I find a lot more of those than I do clad. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so what is the going rate? Also are larger tabs acceptable? (ex.- sardine and 70's beer can tabs) Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabs are aluminum, what's aluminum worth

OP
OP
W

Wilton_Kayne

Apr 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reviewing this on the internet, I gotta say the hoax got me.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a hoax. Save the cans you find, there is about 50 times the value of scrap aluminum in each one.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Expect to be working for a while if your looking to turn your finds into upgrades. My guess is on average I'll pull about 1 to 2 dollars a detect in modern coin in good area's. The trash I dig, if I ever saved it... travel to much so I cant make a horde... might add an additional 40 bucks or so at the end of the year. Most of this "cash" will be used for batteries, fuel, snacks and what not. So maybe 200 dollars a year sans finding and selling any high value stuff like gold and silver.

Please don't be discouraged at the prospect I've laid out. Some detectorists make significantly more and I'm only considering my experience and mental calculation from years of detecting. Who can ever tell when you or me might find that golden ticket :) Keep swinging as only time will truly tell.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest a part-time job. You will make a lot more money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread