metal detecting for hearing impaired

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should start off by saying I am not hearing impaired. I'm just the sort of person that wants to jam out while I hunt the fields.
I want to get all your opinions on the thought of a glove that connects to the audio jack and vibrates at different intensities and oscillations to replace the sound tones, thus freeing up your ears for some jams or giving the hearing impaired community a chance to do an activity that they would normally have a hard time with.

any and all questions comments and criticism are greatly appreciated.
thank you all- simbad42

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As many times as I've seen similar requests its always amazed me why one of the metal detector manufactures does not offer a product for hearing impaired people.
There was a product I read about years ago that plugged into you audio jack and vibrated. If I can find it again I'll post it.

Hehh, it kinda sucks. I travel so much I cant set up my electronics bench and I know I could couple an audio analyzer with a set of vibrators or led's for such a product..... sigh.... someone's gonna beat me to the punch.....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you'd figure that someone would make a main detector with a vibrating handle. They make the pin pointers that way now, what is the problem with adapting that to a detector shaft :icon_scratch:. You can always get a machine with a visual screen but who wants to stare at that every minute. You might walk into a hole or off a cliff!

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My deaf sister inlaw and her husband stopped by our new Florida home and wanted to play with my ATPro. I brought the metal detector into the living room along with a handful of coins and my Propointer. They were very interested in getting a metal detector, as they live in a historic area of Maryland. They could not hear the tones with the headphones (go figure...) but liked the digital readouts. They could sense the Propointer's vibrations.

My only concern with using the digital readouts would be that in direct sunlight the screen is sometimes hard to read.

Are there other metal detectors that might have a better visual screen for a deaf person to use???

OP
OP
simbad42

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thank you guys for the input. I will be contacting one of my electrical engineering friends to see if we can slap together a prototype if its not going to break my bank. If it's not to ridiculous looking and bulky then i might make a few more and put them up for trade or buy in the Charter Member Classifieds. (After i buy my charter membership.)

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problems Here Go for it, I bought the AT PRO Specificity Because I could Hear the Different Tones!! The whites I was using I had the Dig every repeatable Tones Because I Cant tell the Difference in them!!! I Really Miss Find The Gold Stuff!! If you could design a vibrating shaft or handle to tell the Difference in the Signals Would Be Great Your Half or More Deaf Chug Ps I have not tried the AT Pro with My Hearing Aid Yet The whites Did not Do So Well

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you come Up with Something I Will Be A Test Subject!!! Chug Just PM Me 1/2 deaf RIGHT ear 1/5 LEFT Ear Tone deaf in both TONE WISE I HAVE bETTER HEARING IN THE RIGHT Thanks To A Great Surgeon!!!! I Need a very different type of sound difference that the AT Pro provided!! I Have Been Experimenting it the Pro mode With Iron sounds on Witch is Very irritating But Some time Rewarding HH Chug

OP
OP
simbad42

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, thanks for the idea. maybe instead of a glove. I could see about a box to fix to the handle. Is there a big difference in the diameter of the handles/shafts? or are they for the most part universal? i was just thinking about a glove because the most sensitive part of the arm is our fingertips. i plan on contacting him tomorrow, but it could take a while for anything to come to pass.
to bad my gramps passed away last year other wise this would be a weekend project.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was what I was looking for :) I had the name right but kept getting the pinpointer. That's a newer version than I remember. Thanks Sridge.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen devices in articles and advertised that plug into the phone jack that light up rather than make a sound when a target signal activates them.
luvsdux

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early Whites pulse machines were fitted with a small vibrator unit rather than headphones as they were not bothered by the noise of your air tanks.

You could also buy "windowing" signal boosters that boosted faint signals whilst reducing very loud audio that could damage your hearing. They could be adjusted to change tone/pitch so the audio output suited whatever hearing you had. If none there was also a red light that increased in brightness as the coil approached a target.

OP
OP
simbad42

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Sridge
thank you for giving me the link to what seems like the only product that vibrates to indicate a signal that plugs into the headphone jack. it looks like it forces you to check your id/depth screen with every signal. what i have in mind will give you more of an idea of what is in the ground without looking.
@luvsdux i can see why they never made it big. you would need to look at the lights and not were the coil passed over and or split your vision to see both.
well i have a programmer and an electrical engineer to get this ball rolling. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread