looking for some help

TheGreat420

Greenie
Apr 23, 2014
oakville,ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi i'm Jay. New to this and new to MD i'm looking to get my first MD and have been doing lots of reading and looking to spend $300 to $400. im thinking of getting the fisher f2 or teknetics euro tek pro or a tesoro but not sure what to do. i like the look of the tesoro and the life time warranty but not sure if you need a screen or if there any good. i'm also not sure if i should get one with a Manual Ground Balance or auto or fixed.if anyone has some helpful information i would be great full. thank you

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome 420 ;) hehh

As to what would work best? well depends on what your spending and expect to find... which will be pretty much everything right. Cant speak for the machine's your interested in however as to features one with auto ground balance would be a good choice as these units often also feature manual ground balancing. As for indicator screens these are also a nice feature as the information given will, with time and experience, allow you to be a bit more efficient in your finds. Not knocking audio only units, lord knows I've had my gr*ass handed to me more than once by a little Tesoro. Hahh.
For your price range I'd favor Garrets or Fishers. Read up a bit here. Lots of people asking the same question looking for a magic wand.

Luck to ya.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, we'll need to know what kind of hunting you plan to do. Water? Deep water? coins? nugget? relics? Parks, salt water beaches, junky parks, etc....

OP
OP
TheGreat420

TheGreat420

Greenie
Apr 23, 2014
oakville,ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for getting back to me. i'll be in the woods with it most of the time and by creeks. and everyone talks about the fisher f2 but just not sold on it yet and i'v read that the teknetics euro tek pro is just like it but newer and beter. do you have any recomodations on a auto ground balance MD.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I use an AT Pro, it works well, but costs $600.00. The Garrett Ace 350 is $300, that would leave almost enough for a Garrett ProPointer ($127). That would be a nice little outfit. If you can steal a little more money, then the AT Pro and ProPointer would make an even better set up for all around detecting.

Keep on rockin 420!

OP
OP
TheGreat420

TheGreat420

Greenie
Apr 23, 2014
oakville,ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks bro. rock on. ill look in to the AT pro but its a bit out of my price range with the change over from us to canadin. i like the garrett ace 350 but most say the fisher f2 is better or that the garrett 250 it better but i do like the look of it better then the f2

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used all the machines you've mentioned in this thread. The Eurotek Pro without a doubt would be my choice in that price range. You may find a used one with 11" DD coil within your budget also. It has very good audio tones, very lightweight, adjustable iron audio, very fast recovery speed. Unless your soil is mineralized a fixed GB machine will work fine.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dose anyone have any recomodations on a auto ground balance MD. for around $300 - $400 canadian

Unfortunately you are not going to find an auto gb detector in that price range. There's really no fear of making a bad choice, at least from what has been listed on this thread so far.

I think the above post is probably a very good suggestion to get started.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own an F2 and it's a great detector but I'd opt for the EuroTek Pro w/extra DD coil. The ET Pro is newer tech on half the battery power.
The Tesoro Cibola would be another choice worth a consideration. Tesoros work great, I just personally don't like single tone machines or thumbing disc.

Neither has manual ground balance.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TG420, I'm currently using the ET Pro w/DD coil, it has fast recovery time and is accurate in identifying the targets, I bought it because of the trashy areas in ghost towns that I hunt & it cuts through the trash quite well to identify the objects beneath, just like any other detector you have to use it & learn what it's telling you, I love the pin- pointer function, very accurate.

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I have bounty hunter platinum.I like it very well. it has manual ground balance. You might want to give it a look.I got mine for 299.00. good luck on your decision. happy huntin

OP
OP
TheGreat420

TheGreat420

Greenie
Apr 23, 2014
oakville,ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to thank everyone for all your help, all of you on here are vary help full . i'm going to go with the fisher f4 i think its a good one to start with ,not to cheep and not to much. the only thing that i trying to figer out now is if it will be ok in clay , cause there's lots of clay where ill be hunting.i can't seem to find much on how clay affects metal detectors. other than that i think i'm good to go, and have picked a good MD. any help on that would be cool. but thanks again for all the help. cool bean's and happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread