From AT Pro to?

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swung the ATP and had very good luck with it, I sold it last fall and realized the mistake I made, looking to get back into another MD this year and haven't really decided on wether I want another ATP or ? My budget in under $1000, a pointer is a must, I dont need fancy bags, shovels, hats or super duper coils, just a straight out relic machine. Mostly land, some water but not really a fully submersible, not very interested in pulling bottle caps or pull tabs from the local RI beaches. Your thoughts Please.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your budget is under $1000 and a pin pointer is a must you absolutely have to get another AT Pro and a Garrett pro-pointer.. Theres simply not another detector on the market as capable as the AT for that price.
You basically just did a commercial for the Garrett AT pro in Reverse

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CZ-3D

Dual freqs so it'll run well in hot soils and on salt beaches, fast for dual freq, easy to learn & use, emi is of little issue, deeper than an E-Trac, smooth not chatty, loves old coins especially nickels...$800.

Everyone should have a CZ!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you take it in the water with you?

OP
OP
AC500

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP doesn't need a submersible machine!

True, Fella, most of the places I hunted with the ATP, the soils seem to be cool and damp but still pulled some serious relics, as did a good hunting friend with his ATP. Theres a ton of history in our little spot so we both feel theres plenty more, Its hard for me to say I've missed anything with the ATP but I do know theres more to be had.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm intrigued by videos I've watched on the CZ-3d but wonder about weight and battery life. I'm assuming from what I've read it would be good in wet salt sand? I'm not sure if OP means he has no interest in beach detecting at all or just doesn't want to dig pull tabs and screw caps? It is nice not to worry about rain or getting control wet with AT.

OP
OP
AC500

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch88 you're right, Im not that interested in hitting the beaches at all, RI beaches are littered with MD's, Im more into the woods scene looking for relics then the back of earrings on RI's coastline.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine having to worry about getting rained on and some of the places I detect I hike in.
How much "serious" relic hunting can you do in running distance from your vehicle if a storm cloud floats by?

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at the t2 it is 899 new. For relic hunting it is hard to beat. Does not leave much room for a pinpointer but you would not have to wonder if you got the right detector for the job.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm intrigued by videos I've watched on the CZ-3d but wonder about weight and battery life.
Battery life is AWESOME. The first set (Duracell alkalines) seemed to last forever. I bet they went 40hrs at least. I have rechargeable in now and keep em charged up after every 2-3 hunts.
Weight is something else. It's not a light weight by any means. I find it better than the E-Trac I had but not by a lot. It's hip/chest mountable and then it's a pure joy to swing. If I'm doing short hunts or in heavy cover, I keep in on the shaft. If doing longer and/or more open areas, I just throw my belt through it and I'm good for the day!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero may fit your needs if it's straight relics your into. I just didn't click with the single tone, for the different types of hunting I do. I did hike into a ghost town to relic hunt and enjoyed how lighter weight and packable it was. And of course it has lifetime warranty. Another machine that packs well in a tall backpack like the one Whites makes is the Sovereign GT. I love it because it does well at any hunting you throw at it from beach, relics, coins, prospecting etc, etc. They are discontinued, but one of the best machines ever made IMO.

Last edited:

3stooge

Greenie
Apr 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would a minelab x-terra 705 fit the criteria? ??

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some sellers offer a pinpointer as a freebie with the T2!
I would look at the t2 it is 899 new. For relic hunting it is hard to beat. Does not leave much room for a pinpointer but you would not have to wonder if you got the right detector for the job.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say if you were happy with the at pro you should stick with it. No learning curve

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is for the AT Pro. I find that I just keep getting better each time I use my AT Pro, deeper coins, smaller targets, less junk. I have about 200 hours between my 2 AT's. One is set up with the 5 X 8 and the other with the NEL Tornado. Just dug a Canadian dime at 9+ inches not too long ago.
Personally I would go with the Whites TRX pin Pointer. I have been using Garrett Pro Pointers but this season switched over to the Whites. I liked it enough to but a second one.

OP
OP
AC500

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I kicked around several machines and all roads led back to the ATP. I considered the next step up, but after talking to a couple well respected dealers and what I was looking for, it was more then I wanted to spend. I ended up with another AT Pro, opted for the 2 coil package, throw in a PP and a digger and I have a well rounded set up for well under $800.
I popped the 5 x 8 on there and looking forward to going over a few areas I hunted in the past, just to see if I missed anything.
Thanks All.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions