Any tips for finding places to metal detect?

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but they're rare. MDing started in about 1950 or so with WW2 mine detectors, lots of beeps have come and gone.

Hey,
You guys have any tips on finding old or good places to metal detect?
I did get lucky once finding 3 silver coins in a park in under 40 minutes, but places like this are quite hard to come by.
Do you guys have any past experiences or tips on finding places like that?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup - look around your town for the tallest and usually oldest trees and get permission to detect in that area, IF you dig holes do it clean and neat so they can not be seen when you are done.

Find a way to be notified about sidewalk tear ups in the older parts of town, check to make sure the tear up crew boss is ok with you detecting and have at it. Remember to say thank you and mean it while you are shaking his/her hand.

Locate places where people tend to congregate, ask the older folk about this. Get permission, etc.

Stuff can be found where ever people go on a regular and even infrequent basis. As humans we just loose stuff and of course some people just felt the need to hide stuff (1920's depression times, WWI, WWII, eccentric types - all sorts of reasons to be able to have things in the ground)

Look for old home sites where the home isn't even there anymore and look for the fence line somewhere close to the house to detect along it or the clothesline (people used to hang their wash outside for it to dry and I would guess some guys hung their dirty clothes outside to get it washed and dried [just a thought]).

Best of success, 63bkpkr

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone has the same problem as to where to find new places to hunt. They are few and far between. i know one guy that has hunted the same park for 30 years and still does good and so do I. parks replenish themselves every year.

I just completed hunting a 40 acre soccer complex and although I pulled out over $50 in cald that is only about $1.25 per acre. Considering an acre is 217' x 217' that is a lot of hunting for $50.

You will find most of the clad along sidelines and where people stand or sit. Remember whether it is soccer, baseball or any sport most of the players wear uniforms and don't generally have cash in their pockets. I would say I find $1 in the field for every $10 i find along the sidelines. Many places frown on hunting in ball fields

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Internet and library research for old park and picnic areas. Old ball fields, Old train tracks etc.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check and then Double check areas that you have Hunted, when you find Something Cool check then Double check the History of the Area!

Red Just found A Park here that We Never Heard Of And it has History Back to the early 1900's!! Guess Where we Are going to Be Hunting the Next Few weeks Before the Beach Hunting Season!!!

History and A few Landmarks, roads, Trees in pictures ect. will Lead you to Treasures or Trash usually Both at the Same Time

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
orm25
Go to a couple of Barber Shops ,and ask some of the oldest guys where they played ball as kids,where they swam.rode sleds in the winter,what places were popular with their parents, maybe an old Lover`s Lane.
Talk to the oldest persons you know...Just get them talking and their memory's will start to flow as they remember their boyhoods....us old farts love to ramble so take a pen and paper.
Gary

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I could press Like twice I would Chug

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected a site where I camped as a preteenager. I figured we'd lose some change, and I did find some silver and copper.

A favorite jack knife would have been nice though.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,
You guys have any tips on finding old or good places to metal detect?
I did get lucky once finding 3 silver coins in a park in under 40 minutes, but places like this are quite hard to come by.
Do you guys have any past experiences or tips on finding places like that?

Everyone had good suggestions. I suggest you check out this Garrett sight as they offer lots of books on where to find stuff. Places you would never think of.
RAM Books

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the county recorders office & get to know the people there, they have plat maps of the entire county, I've found at least two towns that don't exist anymore, but I now know where the streets and buildings were, then link up with google earth to see what the area looks like now and select the sites you want to hunt, you might even be able to locate some people near there that are relatives of someone who lived there & can give you more information about the ghost town, the options are limitless. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread